Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SW away


captainmed
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Anyway Sheffield for me is easily the best away day going

Short direct train, plenty of good boozers which for a city centre aren’t rammed either 

Utd a far better day than Wednesday though with the ground being closer. Can fit an extra 3 or 4 pints in while getting the same trains. I love Sheffield

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

This isn't new though is it Rudy, most games at the end of last season were the same, pitiful amounts of shots on target for the possession we had. And was always my beef with Doyle then, he just doesn't complement his team mates and the way we play, in my opinion he is just so limited as a footballer. Obviously it was a hard sell when he was scoring here and there and we went up, but I stand by it.

What is more surprising is it has taken till Doyle is really struggling - and I actually feel for him now coz he looks a fish out of water in our team currently - for people to see it.

More importantly why has Evatt started in him in all 12 games, none of which he has scored from open play in. No other options?, which in itself isn't a great answer,  but persisting with him for this long is detrimental to Doyle and the team, loyal as it may be. It was telling when we conceded there seemed little belief we would score, the players seemed resigned to what was going to play out.

And yes we should all be pleased we still have a club yada yada yada, but here and now I think we should easily have another 5 or 6 points and be really pushing the top two. So I'm disappointed over the 12 matches with where we are, based on the way we have played, and points we should have collected, and get the impression the manager is too.

We are 1 goal off being top scorers in the division. We have conceded as many if not more than virtually every team in top half. 
I agree with a lot of what you say but the 'yadda yadda' comment about still having a club is ignoring that this has been the most significant factor in last 2 years. As much as people might say 'but we are Bolton Wanders' we were a club with a manager untried at this level, owners who were new to football, heavily in debt, a track record of not playing players or debts and under a transfer embargo. Our club staff were having to use food banks FFS. 
Doyle is short of confidence and Kachunga has not scored (I think) for about 40 games now. 
This season is about improving and we are already playing significantly than we did most of last year. Come Jan let's see what we bring in, last year we got it spot on. But looking at the squad we lack cover of quality in depth, only K Lee has played consistently at a higher level, something I imagine the club will look at. 
I have done all 3 of the 1 - 0 should have won games and it is frustrating but at least we do not need wholesale changes a few tweaks and additions and we are good  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

.....or that when Bakayoko replaced Doyle yesterday, we became much less of a threat.

This is the problem. When he came on last week against Shrewsbury he put in a couple of good blocks, and posed a threat in the air.

However, he didn't have the sort of movement that Doyle does, and we went a bit more direct to his head- a more speculative type of football. 

That's the risk with a big target man, and if we go that way, then runners have to get close. Not always easy to adjust the style or expect a different type of striker to easily drop into the current one.

Didn't see it yesterday so can't comment on Baka's performance nor that of Doyle, but I'm sure Evatt is aware of what is needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Utd a far better day than Wednesday though with the ground being closer. Can fit an extra 3 or 4 pints in while getting the same trains. I love Sheffield

We got the tram up towards the ground and a Weds fan took us to the Riverside cafe/bar, great place to just sit and chat shit with having kids with us. 
Two major points of discussion - football is the only true world wide sport and there is no such thing as fish. 

Edited by Ani
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ani said:

We are 1 goal off being top scorers in the division. We have conceded as many if not more than virtually every team in top half. 
I agree with a lot of what you say but the 'yadda yadda' comment about still having a club is ignoring that this has been the most significant factor in last 2 years. As much as people might say 'but we are Bolton Wanders' we were a club with a manager untried at this level, owners who were new to football, heavily in debt, a track record of not playing players or debts and under a transfer embargo. Our club staff were having to use food banks FFS. 
Doyle is short of confidence and Kachunga has not scored (I think) for about 40 games now. 
This season is about improving and we are already playing significantly than we did most of last year. Come Jan let's see what we bring in, last year we got it spot on. But looking at the squad we lack cover of quality in depth, only K Lee has played consistently at a higher level, something I imagine the club will look at. 
I have done all 3 of the 1 - 0 should have won games and it is frustrating but at least we do not need wholesale changes a few tweaks and additions and we are good  

You make some good points, and I wasn't trying to be a flippant about our previous predicament, but we can't use it for ever either.

And you are right about the style of play, that is a huge improvement and doing against better teams too. Conversely that then adds to the frustration when we don't convert our chances.

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

You make some good points, and I wasn't trying to be a flippant about our previous predicament, but we can't use it for ever either.

And you are right about the style of play, that is a huge improvement and doing against better teams too. Conversely that then adds to the frustration when we don't convert our chances.

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

Honestly do not think humble pie is needed 😂. I have posted previously that people express their support in different ways. Happy Clapper- Moaners etc etc. We all want the same thing. 
In the long run we need better up front if we have aspirations to move up the league and in coming seasons hopefully compete in the Championship. But for all the options we have upfront before this season the only player in the squad with a history of regular goal scoring is Doyle so bringing another and thinking we they will bag week in week out is unrealistic. 
If in Jan we could sign Nathan Blake I think it would be the perfect fit for this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not drinking again, ever. Bastard rugby fans had packed my train home to Flixton. Wouldn’t let any more on. So ended up having to have a couple more beers in the Salisbury. 15 hour drinking binges are the stuff of the devil. Kebab going spare in our fridge if anyone wants it! From Kings on Churchgate!

Edited by Smiley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Not drinking again, ever. Bastard rugby fans had packed my train home to Flixton. Wouldn’t let any more on. So ended up having to have a couple more beers in the Salisbury. 15 hour drinking binges are the stuff of the devil. Kebab going spare in our fridge if anyone wants it! From Kings on Churchgate!

I’ve been feeling a bit sorry for myself today but just cracked a beer open, hopefully the recovery is on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

 

i have to watch on iFollow every week normally so maybe it gives a different perspective? Anyway I'm back next week for Wigan so hopefully Doyle will bag a hat trick against them pricks and I will be eating humble pie with glee.

I think that watching on the screen is different to being at the game as the view is limited to what the camera is pointing at. So I agree that it does give a different perspective. 
 

Out of interest, do you live miles away which is why you watch the matches this way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did anyone see those Wednesday fans mocking Thogdan & Thogdad going past the tram stop, all a bit sad and shite, but ant stick they get in well deserved.

...and as for the Tram, definitely no social distancing in place on there, sardines have more space in a tin!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just made the mistake of reading some comments after an article.

The anti Evatt sentiment is remarkable. 

Rudy, fire up that volcano.

I'm sure IE recognises the problem, if we can stay in touch with the top 6 and add some quality up front in the January transfer window, we will be fine, it's frustrating, but in those games we have lost 0-1 away, Doyle has missed some big chances, there's no hiding away from that fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Anti Evatt sentiment? Amongst Wanderers fans?  Jesus! 

Yep, a few making ridiculous comments. 

Thing about Doyle, is there doesn't seem to be anyone who can come in and get the goals. 

Maybe Baka needs a run just to see, but Kachunga hasn't ripped up trees.

He's not going to throw in a kid neither.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just made the mistake of reading some comments after an article.

The anti Evatt sentiment is remarkable. 

Rudy, fire up that volcano.

Idiots

5 points off the top. 
 

By rights Evatt could save us from the drop on the last day and we should all be grateful 

Reallu no need for such shortsightedness

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep, a few making ridiculous comments. 

Thing about Doyle, is there doesn't seem to be anyone who can come in and get the goals. 

Maybe Baka needs a run just to see, but Kachunga hasn't ripped up trees.

He's not going to throw in a kid neither.

It is crazy, Evatt is learning but already is very good, be more worried he might leave for a bigger job. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MickyD said:

Just back.

One thing not really discussed is Dapo getting booked for being fouled. What the fuck? Immediately after that, Kachunga got caught with the ball giving them the free kick from which they scored. 
Also, the penalty claim in the dying seconds. Ref pointed to his knee as if to say either it had come up off his knee onto his arm or it had hit his knee not his arm. Either way, bollocks! It hit his outstretched arm. I will study the highlights show later.

Also, we have a new breed of dickhead watching us. A young girl by the name of Shannon, climbing all over the tram generally being an arse. Almost wanting folk to chastise her so she could have a go back.

She even joined in as the youngsters sang, “She’s got chlamydia!”

I think she's featured on that Away Day Sleepers page today and going off the comments she annoyed a fair few yesterday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Casino unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.