Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

One Problem  is although Dapo gets dropped nearly every time he runs at defenders the free kicks he wins are rendered virtually useless as our set-pieces are so bad .

It should be an advantage in areas around the penalty area , but teams know they can deal with our set pieces , therefore foul with impunity knowing we will negate the advantage by even passing short.

• Site Supporter

No idea what Evatt would say at HT but he’s always papping on about players needing to figure it out for them selves on the pitch.

Today, we should have put Baka up top with Doyle an by-passed midfield a lot more. Match them up 4-4-2.

So much was wrong though, even that wouldn’t have worked.

Wigan are better than us. Simple as that

• Members
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They hate us more than they hate anyone else, that’ll do for me. 

Rivalry is what football is all about

Who do we truly have? Bury? Blackburn? 

I say we embrace the Wiganers rivalry and take 4500 to their gaff

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’m already booked on a legends of country music night in Bacup the day we play these away.

Blackburn will always be main rivals for me. I was never keen on Stockport either

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

Yep might as well go with it. Not a chance there’d have been the same feeling in the air - or outright disappointment - today against A N Other team. 

2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

We’re 2nd choice though. They tried cultivating this rivalry with Blackburn but they weren’t having any of it

That was just to keep themselves occupied when they weren’t playing us (and, let’s be honest, I doubt Blackburn are that arsed about us these days). Make no mistake, when I started working there as a 17/18 year old it was a real eye opener as to the ingrained and pathological hatred they had of us, given they’d gone effectively my entire childhood without ever playing against us. 

As for the game, dreadful start from us (Baka foul throw as mentioned) and just got worse from there. Thought Brockbank was naive not to try and buy himself a foul once he was caught on the wrong side, but for me to start without Isgrove left Brockbank horribly exposed. Don’t think a single player gets a pass mark today tbh whereas they were on top of their game and looked streets ahead.

McClean was always going to fancy his chances against Brockbank and he was head and shoulders above anything on the field. I wonder if he’ll sit down in 15-20 years time and wonder what sort of career he’d have had if he’d kept his gob shut all this time.

Shit traffic getting off the retail park, and a special mention to their fans…it takes a special kind of fuckwit to repeatedly throw advertising hoardings at your own fans (not that our bell ends were any better)

2 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

One Problem  is although Dapo gets dropped nearly every time he runs at defenders the free kicks he wins are rendered virtually useless as our set-pieces are so bad .

It should be an advantage in areas around the penalty area , but teams know they can deal with our set pieces , therefore foul with impunity knowing we will negate the advantage by even passing short.

It looks like refs look at dapo as a diver he is probably going to ground to early 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yep might as well go with it. Not a chance there’d have been the same feeling in the air - or outright disappointment - today against A N Other team. 

That was just to keep themselves occupied when they weren’t playing us (and, let’s be honest, I doubt Blackburn are that arsed about us these days). Make no mistake, when I started working there as a 17/18 year old it was a real eye opener as to the ingrained and pathological hatred they had of us, given they’d gone effectively my entire childhood without ever playing against us. 

As for the game, dreadful start from us (Baka foul throw as mentioned) and just got worse from there. Thought Brockbank was naive not to try and buy himself a foul once he was caught on the wrong side, but for me to start without Isgrove left Brockbank horribly exposed. Don’t think a single player gets a pass mark today tbh whereas they were on top of their game and looked streets ahead.

McClean was always going to fancy his chances against Brockbank and he was head and shoulders above anything on the field. I wonder if he’ll sit down in 15-20 years time and wonder what sort of career he’d have had if he’d kept his gob shut all this time.

Shit traffic getting off the retail park, and a special mention to their fans…it takes a special kind of fuckwit to repeatedly throw advertising hoardings at your own fans (not that our bell ends were any better)

Don’t let anyone of a Blackburn persuasion they don’t care about us. Sure Burnley is easily number 1 but we are a comfortable 2

1 minute ago, Farnywhite said:

It looks like refs look at dapo as a diver he is probably going to ground to early 

I hope we’re putting together a compilation of the amount of times teams have basically kicked the fuck out of him so far this season. Worked a treat from their point of view today but sooner or later he should be getting more protection from referees. It’s almost as if they all get a couple of free fouls apiece against him before anyone even gets spoken to. 

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

Don’t let anyone of a Blackburn persuasion they don’t care about us. Sure Burnley is easily number 1 but we are a comfortable 2

You’ll know more than me on that front so I bow to your knowledge. Still much more muted to the last god knows how many games against Latics though. 

1 hour ago, onefinfrandsen said:

The four changes killed us, full strength against these and it would have been a different result, Rotherham and Shrewsbury IMO were better on the day than these lot

I must admit I've seen a lot of over reaction to how good Wigan were, although its stretching it to say anyone we've played to date has been better, all just very league one to me.

Wigan were very average in the first half and upto the 2nd goal, as wasteful in possession as we were, but with the gift from Baka (no excuse for that header, but he's being played out of position, he's a centre forward).  A worldy for the 2nd that's no better than our 2 v Shrewsbury, an OG for the 3rd and the 4th was as irrelevant as our 4th at Charlton or 5th at Ipswich.  

If we had kept up our performance levels of the Lincoln or MK Dons games we would have avoided defeat, but we are without our most consistent player, Jones, and we are relying on 25 yarders to score our goals, we don't have an alternative source unless we are already leading and the opposition change their shape.  We are too easy to defend against.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I hope we’re putting together a compilation of the amount of times teams have basically kicked the fuck out of him so far this season. Worked a treat from their point of view today but sooner or later he should be getting more protection from referees. It’s almost as if they all get a couple of free fouls apiece against him before anyone even gets spoken to. 

As BBC Manchester said, this Wigan team took things to the edge of foul play; and occasionally beyond the edge of foul play.

2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Should have had isgrove over brockbank. 

Should have had Kachunga over Baka..

Baka is an impact sub type, always seems to have a bad un when on from the start.  

Soon as those two came on .. that right side was operational.  

Think Kachunga did nowt I’m yet to see what he’s about, on reflection I’d of gone with 3 at back, Isgrove & Gordon as wing backs but the other major issue was centre mid where Sheehan was chocolate fireguard meaning MJ was isolated, not sure how Evatt could of dealt with that issue. 

5 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Should have had isgrove over brockbank. 

Should have had Kachunga over Baka..

Baka is an impact sub type, always seems to have a bad un when on from the start.  

Soon as those two came on .. that right side was operational.  

Not sure of kuchunga not done anything up to now we were told he wasn’t match fit earlier

not a winger and not a striker can’t see were he fits in apart from the bench

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think Kachunga did nowt I’m yet to see what he’s about, on reflection I’d of gone with 3 at back, Isgrove & Gordon as wing backs but the other major issue was centre mid where Sheehan was chocolate fireguard meaning MJ was isolated, not sure how Evatt could of dealt with that issue. 

Thomason is a more defensive player, and showed his ability lsat season.

Obviously Evatt hasn't fancied him yet this season, but the Sheehan/Sarc combination has shown its defensive frailties this season against weaker sides already.

With all this injuries to defensive players, I don't get a system that leaves us so open.

Maybe lose one of Baka/Doyle and put Sheehan or Sarc into the front three, allowing Thomason to partner MJ in the absence of Lee. Teams may be sussing us out a bit, and Evatt will have to find a way of stopping the goals going in our net 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

That 5 yard  pass from MJ to Johnston which got him a booking is one of the worst passes I have seen in my life

He was left so open today he needs Lee

Be tempted to have Sheehan over Sarc in that 3 as well

Brockbank ran him close a couple of times in the 1st half!  I think MJ is allowed an occasional bad pass, he's our best midfielder, if not player, most weeks.  Only problem with Sheehan over Sarce, who has plenty faults, is that reduces our goal potential even further. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Brockbank ran him close a couple of times in the 1st half!  I think MJ is allowed an occasional bad pass, he's our best midfielder, if not player, most weeks.  Only problem with Sheehan over Sarce, who has plenty faults, is that reduces our goal potential even further. 

Going forward, Sbeehan generally sees a pass and can create openings. Sarc perhaps more likely to get on the end of chances. I don't see goals scored being reduced by one of them not playing, especially if the opposition is causing all the attacking problems.