Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

Took my mind off it for a few hours. Still not really sure how to react.

I’ve been angry at games where we’ve lost by a fine margin because we didn’t take our chances but today after losing heavily at home to Wigan I felt no anger, just shock and disappointment. 

I didn’t think this team would capitulate as hard as they did. Could say the first goal was a freak mistake, and the second goal was a screamer but it doesn’t excuse the result and overall performance. 

Dont wish to be doom and gloom but I think we need to go back to the drawing board tactically.

The expansive style is great when it works but it’s made us far too leaky and the persistent habit of conceding first is a major problem. The old saying of attack wins games, defence wins titles - our attack is too reliant on Dapo and our results are far too dependent on whether we take our chances because it’s becoming almost a certainty that we concede.

Am I overreacting? - this system has got us to the top half of the table with a squad that is largely made up of players who were playing league 2 last season. And maybe today was just a one-off?

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Took my mind off it for a few hours. Still not really sure how to react.

I’ve been angry at games where we’ve lost by a fine margin because we didn’t take our chances but today after losing heavily at home to Wigan I felt no anger, just shock and disappointment. 

I didn’t think this team would capitulate as hard as they did. Could say the first goal was a freak mistake, and the second goal was a screamer but it doesn’t excuse the result and overall performance. 

Dont wish to be doom and gloom but I think we need to go back to the drawing board tactically.

The expansive style is great when it works but it’s made us far too leaky and the persistent habit of conceding first is a major problem. The old saying of attack wins games, defence wins titles - our attack is too reliant on Dapo and our results are far too dependent on whether we take our chances because it’s becoming almost a certainty that we concede.

Am I overreacting? - this system has got us to the top half of the table with a squad that is largely made up of players who were playing league 2 last season. And maybe today was just a one-off?

I hear ya, no I don’t think you are over reacting to be honest.

From my own personal point of view, I’m happy to accept mid table this season while the club recovers from a shambolic decade.

Am I happy to write off days like today? No absolutely not. I’m realistic though, we don’t have fortunes. These days will happen a few more times yet.

Its going to take at least 18 months imo until we are ready to challenge for promotion. Rome wasn’t built in a day - but it got there. We’re lucky to have FV and Evatt. We’ll be in the championship by 2024/25 season at the latest

5 hours ago, bolton va va said:

The danger signs were there from the team announcement.......2 reserve full backs who both struggled, Bakayoko a liability & with hindsight,  a big mistake not starting with Isgrove to support Brockbank, Dapo wholly ineffective without John's support.

They were bigger & stronger than us ( Sheehan has a lovely touch but was bullied out of this game )& the ref didn't help by allowing too much to go.....the 1st aerial ball, their 9 just charged straight into Santos with no attempt for the ball , no foul given &  that set the tone for the game. We need to toughen up.

Wiggin will probably buy their way out of the division & have some good players for this level but are a shower of shithouses.....from the 1st goal, the main shithouse decided to make gestures to NSL for no obvious reason, & they baited the crowd after each goal but whined like little bitches when there was a reaction.

A bad day but we move on.....i still think our best 11 will give anyone a good game, but we clearly lack squad depth.

John has been out for a while and Gordon has done OK and dapo has scored plenty in that period. 

Away teams winding up home fans, who would have thunk it? Dapo at Ipswich was an absolute Saint in front of their fans!

Stop finding scapegoats it was a wank TEAM performance and some of our fans were a fucking disgrace 

Edited by CambridgeBWFC
Typo

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I hear ya, no I don’t think you are over reacting to be honest.

From my own personal point of view, I’m happy to accept mid table this season while the club recovers from a shambolic decade.

Am I happy to write off days like today? No absolutely not. I’m realistic though, we don’t have fortunes. These days will happen a few more times yet.

Its going to take at least 18 months imo until we are ready to challenge for promotion. Rome wasn’t built in a day - but it got there. We’re lucky to have FV and Evatt. We’ll be in the championship by 2024/25 season at the latest

I’m struggling to think long term tonight but I agree with everything you said.

Focusing on this season though I’m not sure where I place my expectations. Like you I’d “accept” mid table but personally I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make play offs or at least give it a good go. 

Up until today I thought we’ve got enough in our squad to get there but now I’m thinking this January transfer window becomes very important if we want to achieve that.

• Site Supporter

Coventry walloping us 5-1, Blackburn walloping us 4-1, Chelsea walloping us 4-0 after Nat died, Rooney hat trick with Utd Walloping us, Ipswich smashing our kids 5-0, Spurs walloping us at the end of our prem season all games at home I can think of straight away which hurt more than today.

it’ll pass 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I’m struggling to think long term tonight but I agree with everything you said.

Focusing on this season though I’m not sure where I place my expectations. Like you I’d “accept” mid table but personally I’d be disappointed if we didn’t make play offs or at least give it a good go. 

Up until today I thought we’ve got enough in our squad to get there but now I’m thinking this January transfer window becomes very important if we want to achieve that.

Part of our long term plan has to be to improve in January and then again in summer.

Play offs not beyond us. Wigan and Rotherham seem a cut above but everyone else cut from the same cloth that I’ve seen

Kinhell that Bakayoko header looks much worse than I remember.
Awful decision to try and head that back to the keeper when he could’ve just cushioned it to Brockbank or better yet, headed it away from goal.

Those last two goals also look even worse on the replay.

Thought Dixon just let a shot go under him but it wasn’t even on target, was just a low cross. Poor.

Then just a gaping hole in our penalty area for McClean to score for the fourth.

In some ways makes me feel better about it because seemed like more our huge mistakes costing us than them cutting through us, but my memory of the performance is that they bullied us physically 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Kinhell that Bakayoko header looks much worse than I remember.
Awful decision to try and head that back to the keeper when he could’ve just cushioned it to Brockbank or better yet, headed it away from goal.

Those last two goals also look even worse on the replay.

Thought Dixon just let a shot go under him but it wasn’t even on target, was just a low cross. Poor.

Then just a gaping hole in our penalty area for McClean to score for the fourth.

In some ways makes me feel better about it because seemed like more our huge mistakes costing us than them cutting through us, but my memory of the performance is that they bullied us physically 

Definitely hard to swallow innit. But swallow it we must. Not the season-ending result a few are making out. We'll be reet.

First time all season we lost the midfield battles. We looked a yard of pace. No speed about our play. Brocky got murdered but to be fair to lad, no support off Baka. Lad was obviously struggling yet we tried to keep playing down his side? Baka/ Dapo kept giving ball away leaving us sitting ducks for counter attack. Really poor day at the office. What I don’t get is people asking us to change our style of football? That’s what has got us promoted and this season, we have more than competed? Perhaps Wigan is only team to look better.? Everts building a culture/ brand of football which in time with better players will serve us well. We have all loved watching it. Let’s not let one bad game of football cloud any judgement. Yes absolutely gutted about yesterday but look where we we come from in past few seasons. Pushing for playoffs in a league we just been promoted in? Only 3 points lost yesterday. COYWM 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Mantra said:

They were all over us in midfield. Every time we tackled them they swarmed and won it back. Which is fair fucks to them but some really careless play. Especially on the right flank and Sheehan looked far too casual.

They were the Best team we’ve played but I’m not sure if we made them Look like it or if they genuinely were that much better than us.

After Mcleans screamer the whole team just capitulated and showed no bottle.

This.

They absolutely battered us in the middle.

MJ and Sheehan totally overwhelmed 

McClean ripped Brockbank a new one. He ain't up to it I'm afraid. 

We move on 

52 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

This.

They absolutely battered us in the middle.

MJ and Sheehan totally overwhelmed 

We move on 

I didn't know who their black midfielder was, looked him up on the internet last night.

Jason Cousins. Age 27, signed from Stoke in the summer made 200 appearances at 2nd tier level.Physically stronger and better at it than MJ Williams and way too good for Sarcevic and Sheehan.It isn't just Wyke and MClean their new Arab has thrown decent wages at.Our 4th Division lads Sarcevic and Sheehan can be successful with their pretty football against some of the weaker teams in tier 3 but not against the bigger spenders.

We'll be reet  ( actually we'll be stuck in Div 3 until the owners pay for better players or a better manager)

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

McClean ripped Brockbank a new one. He ain't up to it I'm afraid. 

Thing is, Brockbank is the one grabbing the wrong headlines but Bakayoko’s role in a very weak right side shouldn’t be forgotten. Between them they were poor but it certainly wasn’t just Brockbank.

This is the first time this season we lost a game despite a massive possession, we didn’t actually look like we could come back from the habitual goal start we gave our opponents. 60% possession but with absolutely no eventual out ball. I stayed until the final whistle and, despite being four goals down we still tippy-tapped the ball around in our own half before the inevitable hoof upfield; or before the tackle which allows Wigan to turn our superior possession to their next goal!

Possession so far this season:

home v MKD - 49% draw

away v Wimbledon- 46% draw

away v Lincoln- 57% win

home v Oxford - 49% win

away v Cambridge- 74% lose

home v Burton - 75% draw

away v Ipswich- 44% win

home v Rotherham- 71% loss

away v Sunderland - 56% loss

away v Charlton- 48% win

home v Shrewsbury- 67% win

away v Wednesday- 61% loss

home v Wigan - 60% loss

So 11 of our 18 points have come when we haven’t had all the possession only 7 from superior possession stats.

These are the hindsight stats rather than the previously discussed expectation stats. We all know what’s happened and we all know having a large possession means Jack-shit if you don’t eventually penetrate the opposition defence. Let’s get back to playing the ball out and upfield and ensure the mistakes made are by the opposition being under pressure.

Yesterday was difficult to take and it still hurts but I think we will be ok, think Wigan finished 20th last season and with the addition of a few quality signings may go straight up. We are a good side and not a million miles away , like to see Thomason play on Tuesday, Izzy right back. We will be fine , bring a few recruits in the window plus the injured players we have coming back and the play offs are a realistic goal.

• Site Supporter

I'm totally behind Evatt & his style of play, we've had more entertainment in 9 months than in the last 10yrs....with a promotion thrown in for good measure, however, as our players aren't as technically gifted as the Man City's of the world occasionally it's going to go spectacularly tits up, just as on good days we are going to wipe the floor with teams. 

Recruitment I'd key & we have to show patience, as even on a dark day like yesterday, we are still moving in the right direction. We were weakened by the loss of 3 experienced players & I'm sure Evatt regrets a couple of decisions he made. We needed calm heads but we had a young lad with little game time under his belt, a striker who's missed a lot of game time playing out of position & only one midfielder who knows what defending is. 

We badly need another Kieron Lee as he seems to give us more balance & composure ( and that's from someone who doubted his effectiveness not so long ago) & we need a better striker/target man than Doyle... but we are where we are until January at least but its been a hell of a lot worse! 

Yesterday hurt & it still smarts today but we are upwardly mobile & almost as importantly being entertained along the way. KTF folks, it's only a minor setback, just feels worse because it was who it was. 

25 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'm totally behind Evatt & his style of play, we've had more entertainment in 9 months than in the last 10yrs....with a promotion thrown in for good measure, however, as our players aren't as technically gifted as the Man City's of the world occasionally it's going to go spectacularly tits up, just as on good days we are going to wipe the floor with teams. 

I don't disagree in him wanting his style but shouldn't he be more open minded to alternate ways of playing when needs must? 

As an example Wigan were turning the ball around and up the pitch and on the edge of our box in a matter of seconds, we never do that? And this was from our free kicks and corners!!. We're Wigan not entertaining for there fans, playing in there style?

No General goes on a battlefield with a single strategy or tactic.

Evatt needs a little dose of pragmatism, a plan B, C and D to manage what is going on in front of him. It doesn't mean he has to go away from his beliefs in the wider context but should be a little more open minded to alternatives in my opinion.

Edited by JimmyRiddle