Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

12 hours ago, perth_white said:

In fairness so was I.

I still think there will be ups and downs, this sounds like this was an abject performance. Mid table is a good start and I don't see us struggling over the season as I think we'll bring in reinforcements plus Evatt's teams seem to finish seasons strongly.

But I won't see a Wigan fan or anything about this unless I seek it out so I get that it's going to piss you off way more than it does me. 

It was a good post mate. I was having a rant. I like Evatt's arrogance, but it backfired yesterday and tbf he had it rubbed in his face.

Could be a proper wake-up call this. 🤞

4 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

It was a good post mate. I was having a rant. I like Evatt's arrogance, but it backfired yesterday and tbf he had it rubbed in his face.

Could be a proper wake-up call this. 🤞

None taken. I have seen comments about this being as bad as Black Sunday or Stoke in the Semi. I remember how I felt after that United game and having to go into work in Swinton the day after, wouldn't wish that on any of you and I'm sorry that some people are feeling that way today.

5 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Why did Wigan players go and celebrate in front of ESL, because they knew they would get a reaction. Not condoning what happened, but if they had gone to their own fans, nothing would have been thrown.

I’d expect both clubs will get punished tbh

and a reduced allocation for our visit 

7 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Why did Wigan players go and celebrate in front of ESL, because they knew they would get a reaction. Not condoning what happened, but if they had gone to their own fans, nothing would have been thrown.

This is just tremendous logic

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Did you criticise Dapo at Ipswich! McGinlay against Wolves? and plenty of others I could mention..... These dickheads behave like that on a regular basis whether it be in or out of the ground. Remember the Leeds embarrassment? Must have been the bar staffs fault for winding them up 🤔

9 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Just imagine what would have happened had they put on a birthday hat, and celebrated in fron of the ESL.

Life bans for those throwing things. Dickheads. Don't drag my clubs name down.

15 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Totally agree...should have come to us behind the goal and said same to lads with me. No need for that. Being a loyalist l despise McClean anyroad. It's not the time for a Wiganer on here as any input could be misconstrued as gloating and that's not my game so I'll do one.

Good luck at Plymouth. 

Let’s just put it down to a bad day at the office and it certainly was a very bad day. We can all criticise but it was generally just a really bad team performance, a one off and I can’t recall a day when so many players were off key at the same time. It doesn’t dent my confidence in the side overall though or lead me think we won’t still be challenging for promotion. Evatt is himself still learning and as we’ve said many times, we’re a work in progress. It’s sometimes valuable to get a kick up the jacksy and hopefully that’s what we’ve had and it will just fire the players up to make sure it doesn’t happen again. We always knew we needed to strengthen in January and yesterday just proved it so onwards and hopefully upwards starting on Tuesday. 🤗

17 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

The Wigan players were on a wind up all day.

They had been mentally prepared for coming here, doing a job on us, then rubbing our noses in it.

Evatts interview where he apparently said we were going to spank someone 5 or 6 nil soon,was no doubt used in their pre match pep talk.

I like IE and his football philosophies, but he’s still  a young manager who makes mistakes sometimes, let’s hope he learned something from yesterdays embarrassing performance.

6 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Totally agree...should have come to us behind the goal and said same to lads with me. No need for that. Being a loyalist l despise McClean anyroad. It's not the time for a Wiganer on here as any input could be misconstrued as gloating and that's not my game so I'll do one.

Good luck at Plymouth. 

Cheers Rk but to be fair, players should be able to celebrate wherever on the pitch they like without that kind of reaction. You were well worth the win yesterday but don’t get too confident. We had a bad day yesterday and it may all be different by the time we come to your place? 😉

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I like Sheehan but if he creates an opening, who scores?  I'm struggling to remember any assists this season, not because he can't create, but we don't have a scorer to convert them enough.  Our "assists" are more likely to be 5 yard passes to Dapo who curls it in from 20 yards, not exactly put on a plate.

A lack of someone putting it into the net, isn't Sheehan's fault though.

It's becoming very clear that the midfield set up we saw yesterday is going to cause us defensive problems. 

Without some more legs around him, we see MJ being over stretched, and faster players will get beyond him.

Talk above about changing our style or not; for me the ethos doesn't have to change, but sometimes pragmatism and personnel are required. 

More than happy to have a bit less possession, if we're not being ripped apart when without it.

If Jones is out for a while, then that right hand side can't stay like that, Baka just not right for it, and no protection for Brockbank who has yet to convince himself.

Some definite defensive problems and sticking with the set up as it is represents a huge gamble I reckon.

Dapo has perhaps been brought down to earth too, which in the long run might help him, but short term means his goals have slowed.

We could pack the midfield perhaps, and/or use Dapo behind Doyle, and play a more "soild" midfield to protect MJ and the full backs. Still can pass the ball about but look for a more balance.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A lack of someone putting it into the net, isn't Sheehan's fault though.

It's becoming very clear that the midfield set up we saw yesterday is going to cause us defensive problems. 

Without some more legs around him, we see MJ being over stretched, and faster players will get beyond him.

Talk above about changing our style or not; for me the ethos doesn't have to change, but sometimes pragmatism and personnel are required. 

More than happy to have a bit less possession, if we're not being ripped apart when without it.

If Jones is out for a while, then that right hand side can't stay like that, Baka just not right for it, and no protection for Brockbank who has yet to convince himself.

Some definite defensive problems and sticking with the set up as it is represents a huge gamble I reckon.

Dapo has perhaps been brought down to earth too, which in the long run might help him, but short term means his goals have slowed.

We could pack the midfield perhaps, and/or use Dapo behind Doyle, and play a more "soild" midfield to protect MJ and the full backs. Still can pass the ball about but look for a more balance.

Agree completely Jacket, adapting his style doesn’t mean dispensing with it. IE needs to accept what isn’t working and change it. The system is great overall and hugely entertaining but just needs a tweak or two to plug the holes we can see.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, jules_darby said:

That isn’t him saying it though is it; that’s Richardson’s reaction to what he’s been told Evatt said 

Iles had confirmed what Evatt actually said on Twitter tonight 

There's a link in that article to this 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bolton-wanderers-league-one-evatt-21824737.amp 

Where he says 

"We’re behind. I expect us to be number one. I expect us to be first. I think we’re the best team in the league. 

People will say that’s arrogance, that’s overconfidence, but on performances I believe we’re the best team in the league. We should have won all those games.”

13 hours ago, L/H White said:

Get what I mean now

These cunts are our rivals 

No. They are not.

Rivalries develop over time, they include games that your fathers, grandfathers and yourself have witnessed, and remembered. They develop where clubs have similar history lines, have similar origin stories, where is a tradition of that rivaly. 

Rivals are not necessarily the closest team to you physically, in the same division.

Wigan are no more rivals to us than Morecambe or Fleetwood, Plymouth or Oxford.

Bury are still a bigger rival to us than Wigan will ever be.

They are an accident in Geography, nothing more.

I feel sorry for clubs coming from non league, because often they will have no real league rival, and no matter how hard they try to atificially manufacture one, they will not create ones. They happen organically.

Personally, I feel more of a rivalry between us ans Sunderland & Portsmouth. Histories you see.

• Members

The reason I’m so against Sheehan and Sarc playing is because of the tactics we have. 

We have a high line, Press high and fast, Doyle presses, which moves Sarc up which then brings Sheehan forward.

Theres then a 20 yard radius of space in the middle of the park Where MJ is expected to cover.

But what happens as the opposition and it was picked up by Wigan very early is you can then afford to have your midfield in that area completely splitting our midfield.

We then play with two wingers who stick to the touchline

Our fullbacks are pushed up and our shape is completely gone

All it takes is a few decent players and our midfield is over ran 

It happened time and time and time again

What annoyed me is we didn’t adapt to it, that isn’t necessarily on IE, there’s enough experience in our team to see that 

Sarc & Sheehan were then caught between two things, keep the shape or press , they did neither.

Brockbank, Gordon, Baka will get a lot of the blame yesterday but we lost the game in midfield

We got absolutely bullied there 

We need to become hard to beat again in midfield winning the one on one battles and  winning the second balls

We need to grow into the game and start steady and not fly out of the traps with no gameplan 

Im a big fan of Lee and games like yesterday are the reasons why. He’s a general in the middle of the park he knows when to go when to stay and when to slow the play down

We never changed our pace yesterday we we so disorganised it was untrue. 

We danced to their tune all game. We were doing the samba to their waltz 

One thing that pissed me off yesterday (other than the obvious) so forgive me if this seems nit-picky.

But there was a long ball played to Bakayoko and Brockbank was making a run in behind him but Baka chested it down instead so Brockbank totally misread it and  Wigan picked it up countered.

I know Evatt talks about body language a lot but as soon as that happened Bakayoko threw his arms up in frustration at Brockbank and didn’t track back - leaving Brockbank who had already run 5 yards past him to do it instead.

someone above said Baka doesn’t seem like an Evatt player so not sure if that’s what they mean. He did look out of sorts on the wing but I don’t think that means he can’t or shouldn’t play there - but in this system, unless you’re scoring as much as Dapo does, you need to have that work rate like Isgrove and Jones, and I don’t think Baka is physically or mentally ready to do that.

4 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

No. They are not.

Rivalries develop over time, they include games that your fathers, grandfathers and yourself have witnessed, and remembered. They develop where clubs have similar history lines, have similar origin stories, where is a tradition of that rivaly. 

Rivals are not necessarily the closest team to you physically, in the same division.

Wigan are no more rivals to us than Morecambe or Fleetwood, Plymouth or Oxford.

Bury are still a bigger rival to us than Wigan will ever be.

They are an accident in Geography, nothing more.

I feel sorry for clubs coming from non league, because often they will have no real league rival, and no matter how hard they try to atificially manufacture one, they will not create ones. They happen organically.

Personally, I feel more of a rivalry between us ans Sunderland & Portsmouth. Histories you see.

Disagree. Like it or not these are our rivals, naive to think otherwise

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The reason I’m so against Sheehan and Sarc playing is because of the tactics we have. 

We have a high line, Press high and fast, Doyle presses, which moves Sarc up which then brings Sheehan forward.

Theres then a 20 yard radius of space in the middle of the park Where MJ is expected to cover.

But what happens as the opposition and it was picked up by Wigan very early is you can then afford to have your midfield in that area completely splitting our midfield.

What annoyed me is we didn’t adapt to it, that isn’t necessarily on IE, there’s enough experience in our team to see that 

Sarc & Sheehan were then caught between two things, keep the shape or press , they did neither.

Brockbank, Gordon, Baka will get a lot of the blame yesterday but we lost the game in midfield

We need to become hard to beat again in midfield winning the one on one battles and  winning the second balls

We need to grow into the game and start steady and not fly out of the traps with no gameplan 

Im a big fan of Lee and games like yesterday are the reasons why. He’s a general in the middle of the park he knows when to go when to stay and when to slow the play down

Absolutely spot on.

5 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

That’s exactly what it has been for the last 16 years or so. Whereas I went my entire childhood without us ever playing against them, for today’s under 25s it’ll be pretty much all they have known. No doubt that will have been exaggerated for those who go to school or live or work in Howfen, Hindley, Aspull, wherever. Might even dare to suggest times have changed since I went to school in Leigh and everyone knew the one Latics fan out of 1,100 kids. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Felt a bit sorry for Williams yesterday at times it was like in the warm up and you have a circle of players with one in the middle trying to intercept the ball

Whilst we play a free flowing attacking possession based style we are lacking confidence which is borne out of dominating teams for long periods and not getting anything from it due to our lack of scoring prowess currently. For me it then means our midfield which apart from MJ isn’t particularly defensive minded is pushing on too hard to try and compensate and then we get left open. Simplistic view but I’m standing g by it. 

I believe it will turn as we haven’t become a bad side overnight and nor has IE become a bad manager. 

yesterday was a bad day at the office which couldn’t have come against a worse side for us in terms of the current teams in our league. They are flying high on confidence and were bang up for it. 

agree with above that we had worse performances than that last season and let’s not forget this is in the main the same side bar a few additions. not making excuses as it was shocking yesterday but a dose of reality is needed when assessing it