Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

20 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That’s exactly what it has been for the last 16 years or so. Whereas I went my entire childhood without us ever playing against them, for today’s under 25s it’ll be pretty much all they have known. No doubt that will have been exaggerated for those who go to school or live or work in Howfen, Hindley, Aspull, wherever. Might even dare to suggest times have changed since I went to school in Leigh and everyone knew the one Latics fan out of 1,100 kids. 

Spot on this, Wigan don't register that much for me but been surprised with all the anti Wigan chants at matches recently.. its the rival for a lot of the youth

• Members
1 minute ago, Ghana White said:

Spot on this, Wigan don't register that much for me but been surprised with all the anti Wigan chants at matches recently.. its the rival for a lot of the youth

That’s how it should start. New supporters creating new rivalries.

I hope it develops into a proper rivalry when the fixture List comes out we look for it 

When we score a last minute at their gaff we go absolutely bananas 

When they don’t play us and they lose we smile 

Managers, players fans stirring it up, giddy all week to play them, dreading going into work facing a fan when we’ve lost

A bit of bite and tension in every game 

We made it worse for ourselves. Yes they are a good side and was up for it but we were just shocking. Baka give them the first goal and Brockbank was just terrible; should have played Baptiste and Isgrove down the right. Playing Sheehan and Sarc who don’t defend against the better sides in this division just doesn’t work and we saw that before. Don’t think Johnston won one challenge and he was another week link yesterday but the referee allowed many fouls on our players to go unnoticed yet we get a booking almost first foul and Johnston was pushed and shoved all the time in his defence. Worst performance this season by a country mile but I am over it now; might get a repeat on Tuesday with the threadbare to pick from but you never know with us

37 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

No. They are not.

Rivalries develop over time, they include games that your fathers, grandfathers and yourself have witnessed, and remembered. They develop where clubs have similar history lines, have similar origin stories, where is a tradition of that rivaly. 

Rivals are not necessarily the closest team to you physically, in the same division.

Wigan are no more rivals to us than Morecambe or Fleetwood, Plymouth or Oxford.

Bury are still a bigger rival to us than Wigan will ever be.

They are an accident in Geography, nothing more.

I feel sorry for clubs coming from non league, because often they will have no real league rival, and no matter how hard they try to atificially manufacture one, they will not create ones. They happen organically.

Personally, I feel more of a rivalry between us ans Sunderland & Portsmouth. Histories you see.

absolutely spot on how i see it.  Couldnt care less about Wigan, it's Man United whos ours throughout history

10 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I hear ya, no I don’t think you are over reacting to be honest.

From my own personal point of view, I’m happy to accept mid table this season while the club recovers from a shambolic decade.

Am I happy to write off days like today? No absolutely not. I’m realistic though, we don’t have fortunes. These days will happen a few more times yet.

Its going to take at least 18 months imo until we are ready to challenge for promotion. Rome wasn’t built in a day - but it got there. We’re lucky to have FV and Evatt. We’ll be in the championship by 2024/25 season at the latest

Very much so.

As much as it pains us, Wigan were for better than us and if they don't finish top 2, I'd be very surprised.

Exciting times for @Rubberkex and fair play to him for not taking the piss whilst we're all a bit shell-shocked.

Brockbank wasn't the reason why we lost yesterday, he shouldn't get the blame, he's okay nothing special. Finds a white shirt more than most, don't think Jones would have made much more difference, he had no support and it was exploited. They found space all over the field particular in the space between MJ and our center halves, where Wyke won a lot of headers for their runners. Two game changing moments before half time Sheehan's chance and Sarc's interception and his pass behind Dapo instead of in his stride. We then go in level. Having said that they were much better on the day, but a more high profile referee would have judged the game differently. No wonder our manager gets booked, the treatment of Dapo for example was awful.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

The reason I’m so against Sheehan and Sarc playing is because of the tactics we have. 

We have a high line, Press high and fast, Doyle presses, which moves Sarc up which then brings Sheehan forward.

Theres then a 20 yard radius of space in the middle of the park Where MJ is expected to cover.

But what happens as the opposition and it was picked up by Wigan very early is you can then afford to have your midfield in that area completely splitting our midfield.

We then play with two wingers who stick to the touchline

Our fullbacks are pushed up and our shape is completely gone

All it takes is a few decent players and our midfield is over ran 

It happened time and time and time again

What annoyed me is we didn’t adapt to it, that isn’t necessarily on IE, there’s enough experience in our team to see that 

Sarc & Sheehan were then caught between two things, keep the shape or press , they did neither.

Brockbank, Gordon, Baka will get a lot of the blame yesterday but we lost the game in midfield

We got absolutely bullied there 

We need to become hard to beat again in midfield winning the one on one battles and  winning the second balls

We need to grow into the game and start steady and not fly out of the traps with no gameplan 

Im a big fan of Lee and games like yesterday are the reasons why. He’s a general in the middle of the park he knows when to go when to stay and when to slow the play down

We never changed our pace yesterday we we so disorganised it was untrue. 

We danced to their tune all game. We were doing the samba to their waltz 

there's where I'm at

presume Lee was injured as not even on the bench

but when fit starts every game alongside MJ for me

if that leaves Sheehan on the bench, so be it

40 minutes ago, Rudy said:

That’s how it should start. New supporters creating new rivalries.

I hope it develops into a proper rivalry when the fixture List comes out we look for it 

Wigan don't have the history or support base to be a long term rival to Bolton.The last 20 years they have been amazingly lucky to be bankrolled by Whelan and now this latest Arab,When they stop being bankrolled and have to live on their natural resources they go back to being the Halifax they were for the previous 100 years.

Watching the goals hit the back of Bolton's net yesterday reminded me of Manchester City's oil money putting 6 in the back of United's nets at Old Trafford.It only happened because of the oil money and many still look upon City as a comedy club that won the lottery while the most hated clubs will always be the Scouse cunts and Leeds

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Ghana White said:

I'm not defending people who threw stuff but the Wigan players knew exactly what they were doing, there's been stuff on the Internet telling them to do it.. they were desperate for the reaction they got.. its a shame people gave it them.

If our lads had done it, we'd be enjoying it just the same.

• Site Supporter

As for it being a rivalry

To my lad, they are currently the team that annoy him the most. He has some mates that are Wigan fans (I've told him to drop them) and we do find ourselves crossing swords with them fairly often these days.

For me personally, I see them as a non league team just punching above their weight.

They don't annoy me in a big way or generate the same levels of repulsion that the likes of Liverpool, Manyoo, Wolves, Blackburn and Birkenhead do.

All I've seen on Twitter etc this last 12 hours are Wigan fans still angry about us even though they just won 4-0.

We will be forever under their skin. They will think about us every day and grind their teeth.

Because they will never be anything close to the football club we are.

After this post my thoughts are already on Plymouth and how BWFC turn around a rather average few weeks.

They don't matter. Just a conference club that had a creepy old supporter with a broken leg. I mean that.

Edited by Spider

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

To my lad, they are currently the team that annoy him the most. He has some mates that are Wigan fans (I've told him to drop them) and we do find ourselves crossing swords with them fairly often these days.

For me personally, I see them as a non league team just punching above their weight.

They don't annoy me in a big way or generate the same levels of repulsion that the likes of Liverpool, Manyoo, Wolves, Blackburn and Birkenhead do.

All I've seen on Twitter etc this last 12 hours are Wigan fans still angry about us even though they just won 4-0.

We will be forever under their skin. They will think about us every day and grind their teeth.

After this post my thoughts are already on Plymouth and how BWFC turn around a rather average few weeks.

They don't matter. Just a conference club that had a creepy old supporter with a broken leg. I mean that.

Not even a football town.

Some decent and rational views on here compared to Twitter and Facebook. Yesterday was awful and as a one off performance impossible to defend. 
The weaknesses of our system were exploited by a good team for this level and strengths failed to materialise due to too many players having a shit day. 
The right side of Brockbank and Bakayoko did not work , both were awful. 
I do not think Evatt helps himself with some of his comments before the games and losing it on the touch line. But that is who he is and overall more than happy with his contribution since he arrived.

It is very clear we do not have the depth in squad to compete at the top end of this division but realistically as a promoted team that should not be a shock. Not just yesterday but the of last 5/6 games shows that.

We now either pull together as a club or start squabbling, pretty sure the vast majority of our support are sensible enough to see the bigger picture (sorry fucking horrible expression) the others will call for radical change without really offering a genuine solution  

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Fair points.

We got spanked at home, shit happens.

We’ll bounce back, we always do.

Wigan rivals nah not for me

Don't get me wrong I really wanted to beat them but after a couple of hours after the game I was over it.Now if this was against the scousers or the red filth it would sting for weeks.As stated above maybe its a generation thing.

• Site Supporter

I know Evatt needs to reel it in a bit with his touchline antics but yesterdays booking was understandable. Their player pushes Sheehan over in the box, he falls into another of their players & they get the free kick.... Absolutely shocking decision even by the usual shit refereeing standards in this league. 

3 hours ago, Zico said:

There's a link in that article to this 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bolton-wanderers-league-one-evatt-21824737.amp 

Where he says 

"We’re behind. I expect us to be number one. I expect us to be first. I think we’re the best team in the league. 

People will say that’s arrogance, that’s overconfidence, but on performances I believe we’re the best team in the league. We should have won all those games.”

Yeah seem that now.

Daft fucker. Just wrote the team talk for everyone we play and their fans 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Say what you like. I hate the cunts! 

• Members
15 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Evatt has said he needs to look at his touchline conduct

He does need to remember that these refs aren’t as strong so rather than explaining their decisions they will be more card happy with misconduct. If he’s screaming at the lino or 4th official as well they’re all mic’d up and it’s a totting up process 

• Members

Just seen a video online of one of our fans throwing what I think is a lighter 

then the silly prick has commented under it saying he nearly hit him 

Then there’s a whole timeline of his day yesterday 

How thick can you be

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Ghana White said:

This is part of the issue. It’s ok claiming Wigan aren’t our rivals but I’d guess if you spoke to many of our supporters you’d get a different attitude.

As a kid, I didn’t know Wigan had a team when I first started watching Bolton, mainly because football outside of the four divisions wasn’t spoken about outside of those non-league circles. 

For anyone under around 30-40, however, I’d say Wigan are very much a rival. That age group and those younger have only ever know football with a Wigan team knocking about somewhere.