Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

How can they be classed as our rivals when they was only elected into the football league in 1978 and, correct me if I’m wrong, we’ve spent more time in the top league than outside it?    Makes no sense at all, it’s only in the last few years our youth have decided to allow them to be, surely they’re not worthy of it.

Is “You are our rival” something we, as supporters, get to bestow on other clubs? 

2 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

How can they be classed as our rivals when they was only elected into the football league in 1978 and, correct me if I’m wrong, we’ve spent more time in the top league than outside it?    Makes no sense at all, it’s only in the last few years our youth have decided to allow them to be, surely they’re not worthy of it.

Correct,Bolton had been in the league 95 years making long standing rivalries before Wigan even got as high as playing a league game against us.Those games in the 80s and early 90s it was just a case of Bolton fans taking the piss at their non league ground, it was like playing Rochdale or Halifax

Then out of nowhere Whelan threw loadsamoney at them and they made it to the PL in 2005.They've been outspending and outperforming us for most of that 16 years since.Problem for them is they still have pisspoor support and traditions and as soon as they stop been funded by this Arab they become a tinpot irrelevance on the pitch again

• Site Supporter

There was another bloke who put money into Wigan. 

A scouser called John James who owned Port Petroleum, a fuel delivery business.

He was an Everton fan, put a shitload of cash their way and then fell out with them because his seat in the directors’ area wasn’t on an aisle for him to stretch his leg out. He asked EFC to move him but they wouldn’t/couldn’t. So off he fucked to Springfield Park where he put a lot of cash.

Years later, as he parked his Rolls on Wallgate, he noticed a sign writer on scaffolding alongside his car. He told the painter, “Oi lad, be careful with your paint. I wouldn’t want any on my car.”

The painter told him there were no guarantees but he’d try.

John James replied, “If there’s a drip on this car I’ll fucking kill you!” With that, he fucked off into Wigan town centre.

On his return, there were splashes of paint on the car roof so he went into the car boot, took out a shotgun and put both barrels into the sky to frighten the sign writer. He was arrested and did a couple of years inside.

Other than all of that, he was an ok bloke. 

32 pages in and people still dick swinging that wigan are not a rival and they don't care about it. 

We have played them twice this year, twice there has been an announcement by BWFC saying behave yourselves. They havent said behave tomorrow have they ? 

get over yourselves. United, liverpool, city etc all don't give a fuck about you. time to accept it  

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Big E said:

32 pages in and people still dick swinging that wigan are not a rival and they don't care about it. 

We have played them twice this year, twice there has been an announcement by BWFC saying behave yourselves. They havent said behave tomorrow have they ? 

get over yourselves. United, liverpool, city etc all don't give a fuck about you. time to accept it  

It’s all true.

25 minutes ago, Big E said:

So its a big rivalry because Sharon asked us not to twat their fans.Soz i don't feel it

• Moderators

rivalies come and go

City weren't Utds for years, particulary as they bounced up and down the leagues

they are now

I get why the old school who used to take over springfield park don't see it

but it's obvious why the new wave who've only seen us the last 15-20 years do

times change

move with them

or not

doesn't matter

half my family are wigan, I went to college there in the mid 90s, I've never met a Wigan fan, think my dad knows one, and he's seen Wigan play at Horwich RMI

I still hate the cunts

Remember watching Bolton play Wigan in the Lancashire Cup in 1988. It was a Wigan home tie but the match was switched to Oldham because Wigan couldn't host the match for some reason.Bolton won in front of a 900 crowd with 750 plus supporting Bolton.

I'm supposed to have a reset and reckon in the modern world that tinpot outfit is a bigger rival than United cos it's had some money thrown at it...

I’d always considered North End our main rival but I suppose it’s probably because they were the team we played most often years ago, League and cup, whilst Rovers and Burnley slugged it out. Bury were our neighbours but we rarely played them and of course Wigan were non league. As others have said, it’s a generational thing and right now Wigan are the nearest thing we have to local rivalry so I suppose, like it or not, they are our biggest derby game.

Edited by Whitesince63

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Steejay said:

Fuckin Hell, Cheese, I usually look forwards to watching this but there is no way I am looking at that pile of shite again.

I haven't watched it either. But if I didn't post it, my brain would implode. Some sort of OCD thing probably.

We have suffered a really heavy defeat and a bad result against our biggest rivals but we’ve done a lot of good things so far this season and this club has come a long way in a short period of time and sometimes on the back of results like this, you can lose sight of how far we’ve come.”

- Evatt on rivalry

Just now, Mantra said:

We have suffered a really heavy defeat and a bad result against our biggest rivals but we’ve done a lot of good things so far this season and this club has come a long way in a short period of time and sometimes on the back of results like this, you can lose sight of how far we’ve come.”

- Evatt on rivalry

He also said we were the best team in the league.

He isnt always right, you know.

We still have to go to the DW in February  and if we have a less depleted squad, a good transfer window, and actually show some guts, we can take those 3 pts back.

Wigan are hot shit right now but form is temporary, couple of injuries or bad results and that can falter. 

Focus on our own rebuilding job and I’m sure we will get our revenge before too long.

hopefully that result is as bad as it gets against the pies

3 hours ago, Big E said:

We have played them twice this year, twice there has been an announcement by BWFC saying behave yourselves.

Yeah, but Bolton fans don't need telling to behave 😉

1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

He also said we were the best team in the league.

He isnt always right, you know.

Never said he was, he’s also not a fan so is bound to have a different perspective.

He was wrong about us being the best team in the league granted, but he’s not wrong about Wigan being our biggest rivals (in my opinion). Certainly in this division and at this moment in time.

Clearly many people see it differently, but I don’t see why there is such resistance to the idea of a rivalry. Rivalries are a great part of football and you have to take the rough with the smooth.