Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Traf said:

Yeah, but Bolton fans don't need telling to behave 😉

Unfortunately, Sharon has asked for this twice now, and its not been respected. 

We've got an absolute diamond at the helm now, and we have folk with apparently short memories, ignoring her requests. 

I wouldn't imagine she'll be too put off by this, but her efforts to rebuild the image of the club within the game, are now being hampered by a number of mòngs. Last thing anyone should be doing is anything which could impede or undermine these efforts.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Zico said:

here you go, Horwich RMI v Wigan in the Lancashire Cup in 1976

I bet Horwich outnumbered Wigan that day as well

0vzv3n2d.jpg

Should’ve got the photographer to hold his camera at 30° so the pitch looked level.

I wasn't there on Saturday for a number of non-footballing reasons and the result did nowt to raise the mood! 

Here's what annoys me. Our last result v local opponents in home derby matches:

• Blackburn LOST
  • Burnley LOST
  • PNE LOST
  • Wigan LOST
  • Oldham LOST
  • Rochdale LOST 
  • Bury DREW
  • Blackpool DREW

You can even chuck in Morecambe and Accrington as draws. Do we count Salford and Fleetwood? If so they were wins that hardly get us racing to raise a glass.

We've been a pushover for ages in these fixtures. Not able to fight our corner and wide open to gleeful opponents with better sides only too willing to have their moment in the sun. We've got a 35 year unbeaten home record v Blackpool ..its about all there is to crow about. Trouble is we've not won at theirs since 1977 ... and other than last year's win at Oldham our general away form in derbies is pretty naff too.

Three consecutive home defeats v PNE, two consecutive v Burnley, our last two league games v Wigan we've lost 5-2 and 4-0, Accrington 7 Bolton 1; Bolton 1 Rochdale 3. All stuff I'd never have wanted in our record books.

In distant days our last two v United and City were defeats as well.

When we've started drawing a line under this is when I will really know that BWFC are back.

21 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I wasn't there on Saturday for a number of non-footballing reasons and the result did nowt to raise the mood! 

• Blackburn LOST
  • Burnley LOST
  • PNE LOST
  • Wigan LOST
  • Oldham LOST
  • Rochdale LOST 
  • Bury DREW
  • Blackpool DREW

You can even chuck in Morecambe and Accrington as draws. Do we count Salford and Fleetwood? If so they were wins that hardly get us racing to raise a glass.

We've been a pushover for ages in these fixtures. Not able to fight our corner and wide open to gleeful opponents with better sides only too willing to have their moment in the sun. We've got a 35 year unbeaten home record v Blackpool ..its about all there is to crow about. Trouble is we've not won at theirs since 1977 ... and other than last year's win at Oldham our general away form in derbies is pretty naff too.

Three consecutive home defeats v PNE, two consecutive v Burnley, our last two league games v Wigan we've lost 5-2 and 4-0, Accrington 7 Bolton 1; Bolton 1 Rochdale 3. All stuff I'd never have wanted in our record books.

When we've started drawing a line under this is when I will really know that BWFC are back.

Good info that (as depressing as it is).  I think we all know we don't win or even score many when we take a big following, but the home form against local teams is also depressing currently.  Saying that, I don't count the Morecambes and Accringtons etc.  Would I feel any worse losing to those than I would if we lost to Gillingham or Plymouth/would I be buzzing more after a "derby" win v Fleetwood?  Not for me, so I don't personally class them as derbies, its just the traditional or very local one's that I care about.  

• Site Supporter
On 17/10/2021 at 08:51, MickyD said:

Thing is, Brockbank is the one grabbing the wrong headlines but Bakayoko’s role in a very weak right side shouldn’t be forgotten. Between them they were poor but it certainly wasn’t just Brockbank.

This is the first time this season we lost a game despite a massive possession, we didn’t actually look like we could come back from the habitual goal start we gave our opponents. 60% possession but with absolutely no eventual out ball. I stayed until the final whistle and, despite being four goals down we still tippy-tapped the ball around in our own half before the inevitable hoof upfield; or before the tackle which allows Wigan to turn our superior possession to their next goal!

Possession so far this season:

home v MKD - 49% draw

away v Wimbledon- 46% draw

away v Lincoln- 57% win

home v Oxford - 49% win

away v Cambridge- 74% lose

home v Burton - 75% draw

away v Ipswich- 44% win

home v Rotherham- 71% loss

away v Sunderland - 56% loss

away v Charlton- 48% win

home v Shrewsbury- 67% win

away v Wednesday- 61% loss

home v Wigan - 60% loss

So 11 of our 18 points have come when we haven’t had all the possession only 7 from superior possession stats.

These are the hindsight stats rather than the previously discussed expectation stats. We all know what’s happened and we all know having a large possession means Jack-shit if you don’t eventually penetrate the opposition defence. Let’s get back to playing the ball out and upfield and ensure the mistakes made are by the opposition being under pressure.

Bakes first tough was sublime, is second was disastrous 

3 hours ago, lofthouse said:

I see Wigan’s crowd down to 8 k last night after there massive win against us , just shows it was there cup final. 

Just out of interest, i wonder how many we'd have had on?, a wet Tuesday night v MK Dons following a good away win 3 days previous.

14k ish?

Edited by Burndens Bogs

On 18/10/2021 at 19:12, paulhanley said:

• Blackburn LOST
  • Burnley LOST
  • PNE LOST
  • Wigan LOST
  • Oldham LOST
  • Rochdale LOST 
  • Bury DREW
  • Blackpool DREW

That certainly makes for a grim read and good effort compiling. They really are the games that matter most especially having so many clubs in the north west, not that I don’t like a win in the midlands, London or north east etc.

• 5 weeks later...
On 26/10/2021 at 13:43, burnden said:

how do these orders come about? via a court? were these people arrested and charged, or identified by the club and given a banning order from the ground?

does it apply to away games?

asking for a friend

25 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

how do these orders come about? via a court? were these people arrested and charged, or identified by the club and given a banning order from the ground?

does it apply to away games?

asking for a friend

Technically a banning ‘order’ (as in having to hand in your passport for England games etc) can only be issued by the courts, but the club has the power to exclude whoever they like from entering the premises. In theory it wouldn’t apply to away games on that basis, although if the club deems that their ban extends to all fixtures that the club plays then they can stop those people buying tickets for away games, but there aren’t any powers for them to be ejected/arrested. 

27 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Technically a banning ‘order’ (as in having to hand in your passport for England games etc) can only be issued by the courts, but the club has the power to exclude whoever they like from entering the premises. In theory it wouldn’t apply to away games on that basis, although if the club deems that their ban extends to all fixtures that the club plays then they can stop those people buying tickets for away games, but there aren’t any powers for them to be ejected/arrested. 

so this lad was told he cant enter until the courts have dealt with him: yet he's not been charged with anything- is he just in limbo? nothing to do with aggro at the UniBol, so he's at a bit baffled as to whats going to happen

54 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

so this lad was told he cant enter until the courts have dealt with him: yet he's not been charged with anything- is he just in limbo? nothing to do with aggro at the UniBol, so he's at a bit baffled as to whats going to happen

Sounds about right tbh if you think of it in terms as if you were suspended from work pending an investigation

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

He has probably lobbed sommat onto the pitch. They dealt with the lad from the stockport game a bit rapido though.

6 minutes ago, Horwich said:

He has probably lobbed sommat onto the pitch. They dealt with the lad from the stockport game a bit rapido though.

He is the Stockport lad- said it was a moment of madness; just snapped. Never been nicked, and was let go straight away. Even walked out with everyone else.

Turns out he is 'suspended' from home games until the copper gets in touch. Still ok to go to away games though! 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

He is the Stockport lad- said it was a moment of madness; just snapped. Never been nicked, and was let go straight away. Even walked out with everyone else.

Turns out he is 'suspended' from home games until the copper gets in touch. Still ok to go to away games though! 

I thought he had been charged?

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19734820.football-fan-banned-throwing-smoke-flare-wanderers-match/

• Moderators
6 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Long term plan eh neil 

To be fair, it says suspended

If its for a couple of games and after a dont be a dick again, chat, thats probably reasonable, if its for chucking stuff

If its effing and jeffing, definitely over the top

3 hours ago, Horwich said:

It's erm... Another bloke

The guy who lifted at Edgeley Park. Turns out it was one of us. I believe him in good faith...

Was walking to leave as they went on the pitch; one lad made eye contact and was giving it the wanker... Been building up a while, and he just snapped. If he was either 10 steps forward or 10 steps back it wouldn't have happened. He just lost it.

Regrets it massively; had to tell his kid he can't take him for the foreseeable, and tried to explain why.

I've known this guy years; think he used to post on here, for all his ups and downs he has never been in trouble with the law. Done community and 'charridy' stuff... Best get used to it I suppose