Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wiggin Home

Steejay

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Whether we like it or not, unfortunately we have a rivalry.

They hate us as much as Bury hated us, good on them, I find it refreshing that some clubs hate us more than they hate other clubs, or we are their most hated.

Unfortunately for them it's not reciprocal on our part.

Err it is for many, i’m not ‘youth’ - far from it,but i hate the fuckers with a passion.

56 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

We have no main rivals not like Blackburn v burnley or Newcastle v Sunderland etc 

we have rivalries as we go up & down leagues and no doubt we’re very hated by some 

Sort of agree really, in my lifetime I couldn’t say who our “main” rival is.

People on here saying Wigan aren’t our rivals but Man Utd are.

If that’s the line of thinking then we are to Man Utd what Wigan are to us, if the rivalry truly isn’t reciprocal with Wigan.

I do think it’s generational too though as over the last decade Wigan are probably the team we’ve been closest to and maybe had the most games against. Coupled with both sets of fans laughing at each other for relegations and administration. 

I respect Blackburn and Preston as clubs more than Wigan which is what makes results like yesterday more painful for me.

I do think Wigan hate us more than we hate them but currently they are the closest thing we have to main rivals, in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Sort of agree really, in my lifetime I couldn’t say who our “main” rival is.

People on here saying Wigan aren’t our rivals but Man Utd are.

If that’s the line of thinking then we are to Man Utd what Wigan are to us, if the rivalry truly isn’t reciprocal with Wigan.

I do think it’s generational too though as over the last decade Wigan are probably the team we’ve been closest to and maybe had the most games against. Coupled with both sets of fans laughing at each other for relegations and administration. 

I respect Blackburn and Preston as clubs more than Wigan which is what makes results like yesterday more painful for me.

I do think Wigan hate us more than we hate them but currently they are the closest thing we have to main rivals, in my opinion.

Totally

Been to many charged games against all north west sides and yesterday was up there without doubt but so was the Friday game when Blackburn ripped us 

the United thing is laughable IMO people get confused between hating and being a rival

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

We have no main rivals not like Blackburn v burnley or Newcastle v Sunderland etc 

we have rivalries as we go up & down leagues and no doubt we’re very hated by some 

I'd have agreed with that a few years ago

I hate ManU but considering them as rivals is just ridiculous. Same with Bury.  The disparity between the 2 clubs in either scenario, just prevents it imo.

Blackburn would be perfect. Similar size club, support and history and next door geographically but they have Burnley.

Wigan are our closest rivals imo. Close geographically, much smaller in terms of history and support but they've been in similar divisions to us over the last 30 years and kids in Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh, who years gone by would have followed us if they didnt go to the red scum, are now more likely to go there. 

Plus, they're cunts.

Football hatred & rivalry are different things, you can't be rivals with someone you don't play, but my hatred is towards man utd. I can cope with Manc/Salford munichs, but have nothing but contempt for out of town munichs & still absolutely despise Bolton munichs.

It's almost certainly an age thing, Wiggin were a non league team for my early years watching football  & still hardly register with me unless we're playing them, but for younger post Reebok fans they probably feel like a local rival.

I hated yesterday but no more than getting gubbed at home by anyone else who have a lot of fans celebrating on our patch. 

Supporters of neither Manc club round here see us as rivals. We don’t register with the united lot. Massives seem to hate us after the Richard Dunne handball game. The Oldham yonners despise us - think that’s way back to the mid 70s

Rivals for me have always been Blackburn, Blackpool and Preston but they have obvious bigger rivals

Only two clubs I genuinely despise are the pie eaters and the plastic bindippers from The Wirral

I'm just home from a Sunday session in the pub, encountered a Wiggin fan, had to admit to him  they were the better team, we were pummelled etc... I did feel the better man, unfortunately even though he was loving it and seemed humble, he was loving it.

Please please IE and BW don't put me in that position again.

How can they be classed as our rivals when they was only elected into the football league in 1978 and, correct me if I’m wrong, we’ve spent more time in the top league than outside it?    Makes no sense at all, it’s only in the last few years our youth have decided to allow them to be, surely they’re not worthy of it.

To be honest I can't be arsed with them and this "rivalry' at all. Too old for all this aggravation. Saturday was shit in so many ways and not all of it on the pitch. The behaviour of large numbers of our lot and theirs is just embarrassing. Getting to stage where away fans will be banned for this fixture its turned into Scrote Central.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Breightmet Boy said:

How can they be classed as our rivals when they was only elected into the football league in 1978 and, correct me if I’m wrong, we’ve spent more time in the top league than outside it?    Makes no sense at all, it’s only in the last few years our youth have decided to allow them to be, surely they’re not worthy of it.

Is “You are our rival” something we, as supporters, get to bestow on other clubs? 

2 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Correct,Bolton had been in the league 95 years making long standing rivalries before Wigan even got as high as playing a league game against us.Those games in the 80s and early 90s it was just a case of Bolton fans taking the piss at their non league ground, it was like playing Rochdale or Halifax

Then out of nowhere Whelan threw loadsamoney at them and they made it to the PL in 2005.They've been outspending and outperforming us for most of that 16 years since.Problem for them is they still have pisspoor support and traditions and as soon as they stop been funded by this Arab they become a tinpot irrelevance on the pitch again

• Site Supporter

There was another bloke who put money into Wigan. 

A scouser called John James who owned Port Petroleum, a fuel delivery business.

He was an Everton fan, put a shitload of cash their way and then fell out with them because his seat in the directors’ area wasn’t on an aisle for him to stretch his leg out. He asked EFC to move him but they wouldn’t/couldn’t. So off he fucked to Springfield Park where he put a lot of cash.

Years later, as he parked his Rolls on Wallgate, he noticed a sign writer on scaffolding alongside his car. He told the painter, “Oi lad, be careful with your paint. I wouldn’t want any on my car.”

The painter told him there were no guarantees but he’d try.

John James replied, “If there’s a drip on this car I’ll fucking kill you!” With that, he fucked off into Wigan town centre.

On his return, there were splashes of paint on the car roof so he went into the car boot, took out a shotgun and put both barrels into the sky to frighten the sign writer. He was arrested and did a couple of years inside.

Other than all of that, he was an ok bloke. 

32 pages in and people still dick swinging that wigan are not a rival and they don't care about it. 

We have played them twice this year, twice there has been an announcement by BWFC saying behave yourselves. They havent said behave tomorrow have they ? 

get over yourselves. United, liverpool, city etc all don't give a fuck about you. time to accept it  

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Big E said:

32 pages in and people still dick swinging that wigan are not a rival and they don't care about it. 

We have played them twice this year, twice there has been an announcement by BWFC saying behave yourselves. They havent said behave tomorrow have they ? 

get over yourselves. United, liverpool, city etc all don't give a fuck about you. time to accept it  

It’s all true.

25 minutes ago, Big E said:

So its a big rivalry because Sharon asked us not to twat their fans.Soz i don't feel it

• Moderators

rivalies come and go

City weren't Utds for years, particulary as they bounced up and down the leagues

they are now

I get why the old school who used to take over springfield park don't see it

but it's obvious why the new wave who've only seen us the last 15-20 years do

times change

move with them

or not

doesn't matter

half my family are wigan, I went to college there in the mid 90s, I've never met a Wigan fan, think my dad knows one, and he's seen Wigan play at Horwich RMI

I still hate the cunts