Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

50 years ago today😳

BobyBrno

Beat City 3-0 in the league cup. 42000 on at Burnden and Garry Jones became my hero.

Next morning, I put my two Bolton scarves on the back of my Lambretta TV175, went to the newsagents and bought a copy of every paper they had and proudly rode through Little Hulton at 7am in the morning to work at Metal Box. I was 16. 

38 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Possibly the best ever atmosphere at Burnden, the only time i know of when two big opposing mobs shared the Lever End for a night match........I think City fans got a shock at the size of Bolton's support & most of them were gone at full time.  

4 years earlier, we beat Liverpool 3-2 in a League Cup replay. I was in the Lever End that night also and they completely took it over. Their flags made it look like the Kop. 
3 years later we were still singing,‘We’ve just hammered Liverpool, Do dah, do dah’ 😊

11 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I would have been 16/17. My first thought was they'll sell him as soon as anybody waves a chequebook.

Their loss.
I was lucky enough to meet Garry just a few weeks before he died. Told him the story of me taking a picture of him into a Manchester hairdressers on my 21st. Told them to cut it just the same. He smiled, inside I cried. Great player, lovely man.

1 hour ago, BobyBrno said:

4 years earlier, we beat Liverpool 3-2 in a League Cup replay. I was in the Lever End that night also and they completely took it over. Their flags made it look like the Kop. 
3 years later we were still singing,‘We’ve just hammered Liverpool, Do dah, do dah’ 😊

Was that the match where Byrom took the piss out of Tommy Smith, who challenged him to a scrap on the car park ... in which "hard man" Smith took a complete pummelling ?

A feather cut! Every lad aged between 11 and 30 had the same haircut at the time, most of us looked like pillocks, Garry Jones just happened to make it look cool.

I was at the game with my dad in the Burnden Terrace, after the match mobs of City skinheads were in the side streets up Manny Rd throwing anything they could get their hands on at the massed ranks of Bolton fans walking up Manny Rd towards town.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

7 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Was that the match where Byrom took the piss out of Tommy Smith, who challenged him to a scrap on the car park ... in which "hard man" Smith took a complete pummelling ?

I’ve actually heard a different version of that story, from someone who played in the match. JB took the piss as JB did😊. After the match JB was first down the tunnel and was seen climbing out of the changing room window to get away!😊