Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Newcastle......The next City??????????

DomRepWanderer

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I know money has some importance in professional sport, but would world stars go to Newcastle over, for example, London?

If it’s paying an extra £50k a week, yes.

All greedy fuckers, but loving the ‘project’.

Meh. Atleast they are happy Ashley has gone, and they can enjoy supporting their team again.

Im not fan of them, but every fan should enjoy following the team they support.

Tad deluded on how quick they will be "challenging" though.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Meh. Atleast they are happy Ashley has gone, and they can enjoy supporting their team again.

the owner said 5-10 years

seems a fair timeline to me

• Members
19 minutes ago, Pablo said:

11 minutes ago, Zico said:

the owner said 5-10 years

seems a fair timeline to me

Can’t rock up and say yeah we’re winning it in 2 years 

Their whole hierarchy infrastructure needs a complete overhaul, takes years. Can’t  throw someone in with a blank chequebook and say right crack on

They need to avoid signing mercenaries first and foremost 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Pablo said:

To win the league ?? LOL!!!

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Can’t rock up and say yeah we’re winning it in 2 years 

Their whole hierarchy infrastructure needs a complete overhaul, takes years. Can’t  throw someone in with a blank chequebook and say right crack on

took City 4 seasons after their takeover

they probably had a better squad than newcastle have now

but aiming for 5-10 years doesn't seem deluded, I'm sure they will be challenging to some degree in that time frame, certainly for the top 4, most would of their fans would probably take that

• Members
4 minutes ago, Zico said:

took City 4 seasons after their takeover

they probably had a better squad than newcastle have now

but aiming for 5-10 years doesn't seem deluded, I'm sure they will be challenging to some degree in that time frame, certainly for the top 4, most would of their fans would probably take that

When city won the league then it seemed to be either the scum, city or Chelsea 

Now it’s an over populated pool and still the hardest league in the world to win.

from a neutral point of view it’s a good thing to mix it up but it’s a process that can’t be achieved overnight. Different beast now 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, boltondiver said:

I know money has some importance in professional sport, but would world stars go to Newcastle over, for example, London?

I think this geographical aspect is way overplayed. Bolton isn't thought of as the most salubrious area, but we attracted top players at one time.

Leicester likewise, although they've not splashed out like others.

The North East is a beautiful part of the world, not densely populated and property is comparatively cheap, so a football player on a fortune could have a mansion and an estate for the price of a decent London gaff.

If the money is there, and a chance of winning things, players will go.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think this geographical aspect is way overplayed. Bolton isn't thought of as the most salubrious area, but we attracted top players at one time.

The North East is a beautiful part of the world, not densely populated and property is comparatively cheap, so a football player on a fortune could have a mansion and an estate for the price of a decent London gaff.

All correct but the ones who aren't 'family men' will want the fast route to that London to be in the thick of things.

I know Newcadtle has its scene but that's largely pissed up blokes in Toon shirts and pissed up women in microskirts. Sooner or later trouble will follow.

For family minded, or quiet professionals it IS surrounded by beautiful countryside if you don't mind freezing your bollox off half the year.

But taking tje location arguement to its logical conclusion, why leave Roma/Lazio (not Milan or Juventus who's cities are toilets), PSG, too.

Personally I'd be found in Nice/Monaco.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Spent quite a bit of time up there over the years and I'd argue that a lot of the population are dense

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

Hell of a difficult task. Just the fact many players wouldn’t look twice at playing for Newcastle last week but this week would jump at the chance pretty much makes them mercenaries, doesn’t it?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rudy said:

When city won the league then it seemed to be either the scum, city or Chelsea 

Now it’s an over populated pool and still the hardest league in the world to win.

from a neutral point of view it’s a good thing to mix it up but it’s a process that can’t be achieved overnight. Different beast now 

Football is cyclical 

Teams come and go 

They are 10x richer than city who managed it without history tradition etc 

They'll probably sign Ibrahimovic in January 

They might not actually achieve it but I don't think they are deluded to aim to win it within 10 years

• Members
38 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Hell of a difficult task. Just the fact many players wouldn’t look twice at playing for Newcastle last week but this week would jump at the chance pretty much makes them mercenaries, doesn’t it?

It does but if you were coming to your retirement age and a firm came knocking for a huge payday you’d take it wouldn’t you. It’s the agents they have to be wary of 

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Football is cyclical 

Teams come and go 

They are 10x richer than city who managed it without history tradition etc 

They'll probably sign Ibrahimovic in January 

They might not actually achieve it but I don't think they are deluded to aim to win it within 10 years

I don’t think so. It’s a hell of an achievement to win the PL but it’s even harder to retain it how many teams have done it? Getting that consistency is so hard, for all the qualities Klopp has brought to Liverpool they couldn’t win back to back titles and they have a great set up. Considering the problems Newcastle have had over the years I don’t think it’s a quick turnaround but a 10 year plan is sensible 

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It does but if you were coming to your retirement age and a firm came knocking for a huge payday you’d take it wouldn’t you. It’s the agents they have to be wary of 

I don’t think so. It’s a hell of an achievement to win the PL but it’s even harder to retain it how many teams have done it? Getting that consistency is so hard, for all the qualities Klopp has brought to Liverpool they couldn’t win back to back titles and they have a great set up. Considering the problems Newcastle have had over the years I don’t think it’s a quick turnaround but a 10 year plan is sensible 

10 years. Their fans will lose patience with a manager after 10 weeks. It should never be forgotten that they hounded Bobby Robson, of all people, out of his job.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Rudy said:

At the very least they should be able to get some bigger TVs under the stands 

On6NGFc.jpg

• Members
19 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

All clubs have some loyal fans.Newcastle just don't have enough fans to generate the revenue to win trophies.

If your lot had been through what they'd been through you'd have been down in the mid 20k's with not a turban in sight.

It will be good to see them overtake you as well as that mob from east Manchester.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

If your lot had been through what they'd been through you'd have been down in the mid 20k's with not a turban in sight.

It will be good to see them overtake you as well as that mob from east Manchester.

The point is Man Utd , Liverpool (and Arsenal to a lesser extent) have much bigger global support than Newcastle.The revenue from their much bigger support prevents them turning out crap teams like Newcastle have over the last 50 years since they won anything.

A quick look on instagram shows Newcastle United have 885,000 followers, Manchester United have over 50 million.The Manchester United ladies team was only formed in 2018 but already have more followers on instagram than the Newcastle mens team!

38 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

The point is Man Utd , Liverpool (and Arsenal to a lesser extent) have much bigger global support than Newcastle.The revenue from their much bigger support prevents them turning out crap teams like Newcastle have over the last 50 years since they won anything.

A quick look on instagram shows Newcastle United have 885,000 followers, Manchester United have over 50 million.The Manchester United ladies team was only formed in 2018 but already have more followers on instagram than the Newcastle mens team!

I do see your point on a global scale, but I dare say Newcastle won’t need that additional revenue globally with how much the have behind them.  City aren’t massive globally, yet have done alright.

FWIW Newcastle are one of those teams I dislike for no rational reason and if they do well we won’t hear the end of it similar to Liverpool fans, so if it goes tits up then so be it.