Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

1 minute ago, Rudy said:

You could do it with each Fifa zone especially with 48 team tournaments. 6 minnows making it  the World Cup finals, that’s how you develop football. Give them equal opportunities.

Get Wenger on the blower

Suppose his idea for WC every 2 years would reduce these shite games maybe.

• Members
1 minute ago, Pablo said:

Suppose his idea for WC every 2 years would reduce these shite games maybe.

At first I dismissed that as a daft idea and one I’m sure UEFA will (or have) rejected but when I read into it, it sort of made sense. But probably just a cash crab for FIFA

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

how disheartening must it be going into a battle you know you've already lost

something needs to be done about it

The flip side for them is that 2 games v England, plus 2 v a Russia or Denmark for eg, will bring in the finance from gate receipts, TV coverage, sponsorship etc that sustains them.  If they were just playing Azerbajan and Gibralter they wouldn't be able to pay their players, arguably. 

• Site Supporter

I remember when Turkey were totally shite, and we'd whoop them umpteen nil.

OK a small nation like this won't have the population and resources to grow its game like Turkey, but the danger of chucking them into a separate qualification section, would probably just see them getting beaten by other small (but still bigger) nations and they'll lose the opportunity to play against a major nation occasionally. 

Arguments both ways, but for me, leave things as they are.

• Members
34 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The flip side for them is that 2 games v England, plus 2 v a Russia or Denmark for eg, will bring in the finance from gate receipts, TV coverage, sponsorship etc that sustains them.  If they were just playing Azerbajan and Gibralter they wouldn't be able to pay their players, arguably. 

FIFA own the broadcasting pictures so they get a share of the tv pot anyways regardless of who they play

Same goes for the sponsorship money

28 minutes ago, Rudy said:

FIFA own the broadcasting pictures so they get a share of the tv pot anyways regardless of who they play

Same goes for the sponsorship money

Oh right I didn't realise that, seems odd that Gibralter get the same slice as England and Germany but there will be arguments both ways.

I'd prefer it if everyone had to earn the right to play in the qualifiers. Too many games are meaningless, and it makes international football other than major tournaments a turn off.   But I understand the opposite views.

• Members
1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Oh right I didn't realise that, seems odd that Gibralter get the same slice as England and Germany but there will be arguments both ways.

I'd prefer it if everyone had to earn the right to play in the qualifiers. Too many games are meaningless, and it makes international football other than major tournaments a turn off.   But I understand the opposite views.

Yeah I think it would put them out of pocket to host their own games based purely on gate revenue. England would be fine but the smaller nations not so much.

Non league teams don't have the right to play elite Premier League teams every season in the FA Cup, they have to earn that right.  The likes of San Marino and Andorra should also have to IMO.

What would get tricky is where you draw the line between those that have to have pre-qualifiers and those that don't.

Without a great deal of thought I'd suggest that line be dependant on whether your own country has it's own professional football league or not.

Wales and Norn Iron get a pass from this ruling.  Rule Brittania. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Non league teams don't have the right to play elite Premier League teams every season in the FA Cup, they have to earn that right.  The likes of San Marino and Andorra should also have to IMO.

What would get tricky is where you draw the line between those that have to have pre-qualifiers and those that don't.

Without a great deal of thought I'd suggest that line be dependant on whether your own country has it's own professional football league or not.

Wales and Norn Iron get a pass from this ruling.  Rule Brittania. 

Yeah but if Liverpool and city were playing Scunthorpe every week they’d never get in. You’ve just described league football 😁

I thought possibly the lowest ranked teams in each zone throw them into The group of shite and see who can crawl their way out of it. The Shawshank group if you will. 

22 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah but if Liverpool and city were playing Scunthorpe every week they’d never get in. You’ve just described league football 😁

I thought possibly the lowest ranked teams in each zone throw them into The group of shite and see who can crawl their way out of it. The Shawshank group if you will. 

That's what my pre-qualifiers idea is all about.  All the countries that don't have their own professional leagues play each other.  The winner(s) then get the chance to play, and get hammered, by the better countries in the 'proper' qualifiers.

• Members
14 minutes ago, DazBob said:

That's what my pre-qualifiers idea is all about.  All the countries that don't have their own professional leagues play each other.  The winner(s) then get the chance to play, and get hammered, by the better countries in the 'proper' qualifiers.

Ahh the foreplay league 

• 4 months later...
  • Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

who the fuckery is Marc Guehi?

edit: just googled, apparently Palace bought him from Chelsea for £18M last year.....I've still never heard of him

Demonstrably false.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Sweep said:

who the fuckery is Marc Guehi?

edit: just googled, apparently Palace bought him from Chelsea for £18M last year.....I've still never heard of him

8 minutes ago, Traf said:

Sounds French

just did a google voice search on my mobile to see who he is

hqdefault.jpg

I would've liked to see Max Kilman at Wolves given a chance. Tyrone Minge is almost as poor as Maguire.

Kilman's mum is Ukranian and Shevchenko wanted to pick him a while back but; because Kilman played for England at futsal; he can only ever play for England.