Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

Don't get the Sterling love in. With him we are winning nowt never mind Maguire.

We were a penalty shoot out away from winning the euros and sterling was the player of the tournament.

Hes currently a star in one of the best teams on the planet and won his team the prem on Sunday after changing the game when we came on.

What more would you like him to do?

He cant actually get any higher in the game if he tried.

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We were a penalty shoot out away from winning the euros and sterling was the player of the tournament.

Hes currently a star in one of the best teams on the planet and won his team the prem on Sunday after changing the game when we came on.

What more would you like him to do?

He cant actually get any higher in the game if he tried.

Real Madrid are trying to sign him. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Max Cherry said:

Don't get the Sterling love in. With him we are winning nowt never mind Maguire.

Same with Southgate, have we got so near despite him or because of him? Hope he's learned from Croatia and Italy but I'm not convinced. Time to be defensive but also time to go for it and I don't think he's got it in him. Love to be wrong

First final in 55 years and you're doubting the current set up? Mental.

32 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

11 goals in last 22 games for sterling plus 6 assists. 

he’s our 2nd biggest threat. It’s undeniable. Not sure what people want? 

hardly a team that shares the goals around either 

Would Sterling have them figures playing for West Ham? I would say no.

Anyway, I'm no hater. Sterling does bring something to England.

3 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Would Sterling have them figures playing for West Ham? I would say no.

Anyway, I'm no hater. Sterling does bring something to England.

Depends how you want to measure it 

Lingard had 9 goals and 4 assists in 16 games for west ham

I know who I'd rather start 

13 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

11 goals in last 22 games for sterling plus 6 assists. 

he’s our 2nd biggest threat. It’s undeniable. Not sure what people want? 

hardly a team that shares the goals around either 

You know why they hate him mate....

13 hours ago, Cheese said:

First final in 55 years and you're doubting the current set up? Mental.

Hope we haven't peaked. Not sure we'll get a better chance to win a cup again anytime soon. On home soil, shame we lost on penos, still hurts.

Can't see us coping well with the temperatures in Qatar. My mate was there the other day and said it was still 30 odd degrees at night

Edited by Mantra

15 hours ago, Max Cherry said:

Same with Southgate, have we got so near despite him or because of him

Southgate has a decent record as our manager, the results show that, unless you can find another manager we've had of late who has done better - I don't think we've done anything "despite" him at all.

He is quite defensive, but sadly, that's tournament football for you in general. We'll be there or there abouts this Winter, I don't think we win it though, as we don't have good enough players, especially at CB where we're sadly lacking

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Hope we haven't peaked. Not sure we'll get a better chance to win a cup again anytime soon. On home soil, shame we lost on penos, still hurts.

Can't see us coping well with the temperatures in Qatar. My mate was there the other day and said it was still 30 odd degrees at night

Temps will be the same for everybody - and the grounds, as they're airconditioned, will keep the temperature fairly stable apparently (I'd hate to be paying those leccy bills)

2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Temps will be the same for everybody - and the grounds, as they're airconditioned, will keep the temperature fairly stable apparently (I'd hate to be paying those leccy bills)

Fair enough, I just fear that our pasty englishmen will wilt in the heat compared to the Spanish or South Americans who are more used to it.

Its a double edged sword for GS.

He without doubt failed when push came to shove on the biggest stage, he got out foxed by Mancini and allowed the game to drift.

However, I doubt any other so called elite managers out there would've got us to the final and semi wc in the first place 

The revolution of our national team after Iceland has been unbelievable and hes been centre stage in all of that. Hes created an ethos and togetherness and got the sqaud playing as one. No other manager has managed what he has since Alf Ramsey.

After the failures of the golden generation with top name managers and big egos playing for themselves we should be wanking ourselves senseless at where we are now. GS and his team have got us here.

It wont be long before we win summet, our youth system is as good as its ever been and we have the best and strongest football pyramid in world football.

I thought Southgate was overhyped after the World Cup when we had a very easy route to the final and then failed at the first real test in the semi final. So I wasn't expecting much at the Euros but credit to him he did a marvellous job. That Germany win is probably up there as one of my favourite England memories.

I don't remember much of the game but at the time my mate was saying "why are we just sitting back on a 1-0 lead?". Not sure if we did, or if Italy just stepped it up second half. Their goal was absolutely shite and I don't remember them creating loads.

Think there's a lot to be excited about as Gonzo says but tournament football is really cruel and a bit of a lottery at times. One shit decision from the ref (even with VAR), or a player can cost you everything.

We are still a bit top-heavy with talent, lots of promising attackers and overloaded with RBs. Not so many top class CMs or CBs...

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Bellingham, Rice and world stars in the making. 

CB wise, Tomori will be there or there abouts as will Cowill the Chelsea kid.

Rice looks class and ready for the right here, right now.

Bellingham is very young still (18) and honestly haven't seen him play that much. Same with Tomori but he's won the League at Milan so he must be decent.

6 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Rice looks class and ready for the right here, right now.

Bellingham is very young still (18) and honestly haven't seen him play that much. Same with Tomori but he's won the League at Milan so he must be decent.

If his career continues to progresses as it is, Bellingham will go on to be the best English player of his generation in my opinion.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Got to admit, a trip to Dubai pre-pandemic saw us baking on the 48° sunshine but at fairly regular intervals along the beach we’re stand-alone air-conditioning/cooling plants. Each about the size of a garden shed. They were absolutely bliss.

I reckon one in each corner of an enclosed stadium will bring the temperature to that of a decent English summer’s day.

6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

If his career continues to progresses as it is, Bellingham will go on to be the best English player of his generation in my opinion.

Yeah it's probably between him and Foden...

,             Pickford;

Walker, Stones, Maguire;

Trent, Rice, Bellingham, Saka;

,              Foden;

Kane, Sterling;

Would be my team for the WC. Maybe Tomori over Maguire as he's not had a great season but he's always been good for England.

We have a very young team still. That Italy team that beat us had lots of experienced pros which I think we could do with a couple more of if we want to win the Euros or WC.

He’ll generally go 4-3-3 

rice Bellingham mount midfield

saka is developing in to a very decent right sided attacker so LWB whilst he can play there isn’t the best use of him 

as always, Shaw / Chilwell toss up for LB and Mitchell Justin and Trippier extra options 

4 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

Rice and Phillips will be starting in all the big games. We can afford to have shit centre backs with those 2 in front of them.

agreed, which is why I think he goes 3-4-2-1 initially (which can drop to a 5-4-1 with wingbacks)

If I was to guess the starting line up for our opening game of the WC, I'd be going

Pickford 

Walker Maguire Stones

TTA Phillips Rice Saka

Foden Sterling

Kane