Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not quite the same but we went to Amsterdam for a friendly about 15 years, got tickets in the Holland end - stood up blasting out the national anthem pre game.

Fair to say Amsterdam's finest wares had us feeling brave. Doubt we'd have survived a qualifying game though

Was that the Ricketts debut? Remember there was a massive ‘neutral’ area that game. I was in it too IIRC 

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Was that the Ricketts debut? Remember there was a massive ‘neutral’ area that game. I was in it too IIRC 

No, it was a 1-1 draw - from memory, Rooney scored. Think it was the August early season game we had a spell of playing

Have the NL games been squeezed in to an unusual time of year to further help accommodate the World Cup?

I actually don't mind the competition it's more competitive and if we made that final tournament again you can be sure everyone would pile on then.

According to Tim Vickery it's pissing a lot of South American federations off as they've lost loads of opportunities to play European sides in friendlies further affecting their WC chances. Hence them wanting a joint European/South American Nations League. Which would be mental.

24 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Have the NL games been squeezed in to an unusual time of year to further help accommodate the World Cup?

I actually don't mind the competition it's more competitive and if we made that final tournament again you can be sure everyone would pile on then.

According to Tim Vickery it's pissing a lot of South American federations off as they've lost loads of opportunities to play European sides in friendlies further affecting their WC chances. Hence them wanting a joint European/South American Nations League. Which would be mental.

No point in us being in it if we’re turning in utter shite like tonight’s performance and the sooner Southgate isn’t England manager with his shit FA party line comments the better. England and everything about this team and set up is gash. 

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No point in us being in it if we’re turning in utter shite like tonight’s performance and the sooner Southgate isn’t England manager with his shit FA party line comments the better. England and everything about this team and set up is gash. 

We got to the final round of the inaugural Nations League, semis of a world cup and final of a Euros. I'm not a full on Southgate lover myself, but he's not done badly really has he?!

Cheese ridiculed Southgate doubters by pointing out a world cup semi and Euro Final Evidence that we are bonkers

World Cup we had all dominoes falling our way top teams being knocked out easy side of draw etc we didnt play anybody decent until semi that we should have won.

Our youth set up is excellent now Southgate has got more talent than any other England manager pity he had no idea how to use it. He is shite just an FA yes man. Which top club would have him? None but FA gives him an extended contract before we know how he does in Qatar. Not holding out much hope. Boring shithouse

Would be interesting to see if we could go toe to toe with the big teams playing an expansive brand of football. 

Unfortunately it’s a high risk strategy doing it in tournament football where a single moment or mistake and you get knocked out. so I can see why he plays a bit of a boring brand.

Didn’t watch the game today but not arsed that we lost. I remember Germany losing to some no marks before they won the World Cup in the same year.

Wasn’t convinced after the easy route we had in the last World Cup but in the euros, beating Germany and losing out on penalties to Italy is a great effort

15 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Would be interesting to see if we could go toe to toe with the big teams playing an expansive brand of football. 

Unfortunately it’s a high risk strategy doing it in tournament football where a single moment or mistake and you get knocked out. so I can see why he plays a bit of a boring brand.

Didn’t watch the game today but not arsed that we lost. I remember Germany losing to some no marks before they won the World Cup in the same year.

Wasn’t convinced after the easy route we had in the last World Cup but in the euros, beating Germany and losing out on penalties to Italy is a great effort

Just out of interest... who had the hardest games in the world Cup? All seem to be much the same to me.

R16

France v Argentina

Uruguay v Portugal 

Spain v Russia 

Croatia v Denmark

Brazil v Mexico 

Belgium v Japan

Sweden v Switzerland 

Colombia v England

QF

Uruguay  v France 

Brazil v Belgium 

Sweden v England 

Russia v Croatia 

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

Just out of interest... who had the hardest games in the world Cup? All seem to be much the same to me.

R16

France v Argentina

Uruguay v Portugal 

Spain v Russia 

Croatia v Denmark

Brazil v Mexico 

Belgium v Japan

Sweden v Switzerland 

Colombia v England

QF

Uruguay  v France 

Brazil v Belgium 

Sweden v England 

Russia v Croatia 

Colombia & Sweden, wouldn’t be in top 10 teams in the world.

Edited by Mounts Kipper