Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Just for the record.  You're a nice bloke and I don't for one second think you're racist.

... but for a game to be played behind close doors due to consistent racism and then those that actually are allowed to go in and watch the game then boo an anti-racism gesture ... well, you've got to admit that doesn't really come across well does it?

maybe they just fear a return to marxism

35 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Just for the record.  You're a nice bloke and I don't for one second think you're racist.

... but for a game to be played behind close doors due to consistent racism and then those that actually are allowed to go in and watch the game then boo an anti-racism gesture ... well, you've got to admit that doesn't really come across well does it?

Thx appreciated. Just feel it’s always got to be black or white (excuse the pun)  taking the knee is seen differently across the world in Hungary they take the knee only for god & the wife, it’s seen as submissive act , others link it to BLM and all they stand for, that was the catalyst for taking the knee and Millions of people won’t ever accept it and it doesn’t make them racist. Anyhow that’s my final word… Except let’s see a proper England performance against the Germans and Italians. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

A better crop of players than Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Scholes, Cole, Terry, Ferdinand, Owen, Rooney?

We have players from West Ham, Leeds and Everton in the spine of our first 11.

Fair point, that's a good list and as someone else said the central defenders now are average. And Capello was awful, to pick out one manager that under achieved.  I was thinking of the depth available now, there are loads of players that look like they could step up that struggle to get a look in, mainly in midfield and fullback.  eg Madison, Ward-Prowse, Gallagher, Barnes, Smith Roe, Grealish, Bellingham.  Foden and Grealish not guaranteed starters.  I didn't feel the back ups in previous years were international class eg Butt, Dyer, Heskey, Vassell, Jenas, Downing, Crouch, Walcott but I accept the current crop haven't proved themselves either.

I think taking the knee has probably run its course in this country. People dont even notice it, think we need to think of another gesture or way to show solidarity. But if it carries on, its doing no harm.

However, In Hungary on Saturday it was a completely different kettle of fish. Playing behing closed doors for continuous racist abuse of our own Players. Racist banners and a full contingent of Neo Nazi ultras watching their games in the past, plus the far right movement that's taking place over there. Then the first show of making a stand against Rascism and they boo?

Fuck me. 

Those kids aren't against virtue signalling and wokesim. They are being bought up in a racist culture where its deemed acceptable to boo a 5 second show of solidarity against racism.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s clear what you meant, you don’t have the bottle to call it though just hidden behind a casual slur. I shall leave it there. 

Just for clarity, why do you dislike players taking the knee?

• Members
8 hours ago, Zico said:

Out of interest what aspects of Bobby Robson do you feel are discouraged or frowned upon in today's world?

I played football for a good while in Perth with a Geordie lad who worked for Carlton United Breweries. Played for  Bedlington Terriers and Grimsby in England and then Napier in New Zealand before relocating to Perth. By the by but the best footballer I ever played in a team with (now sadly passed far too young - RIP Jeff). Great lad for free samples of beers being introduced too!

Fanatical magpies supporter and had some cracking tales about Robson's tenure which at St James Park I will not repeat here as some of the snowflakes couldn't take it. They'd be sleeping with the bedside lamp on.

Summed up with "A mans man who called a spade a spade" (the last word not applicable to anything racial). Brian Clough another outstanding individual who should have managed England and did not mince his words. Sadly, a breed we most likely will never see again. "New, sensitive' soft arse types like Southgate likely to be the norm until the world wakes up.

:D amazing

Anyway, I don't think I'm alone in thinking we all want the best man for the job, regardless of whether he's a strict disciplinarian, a man's man or a soft arse type.

The stats back up that Southgate has been the best England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey.

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

:D amazing

Anyway, I don't think I'm alone in thinking we all want the best man for the job, regardless of whether he's a strict disciplinarian, a man's man or a soft arse type.

The stats back up that Southgate has been the best England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey.

After Allardyce

2 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I played football for a good while in Perth with a Geordie lad who worked for Carlton United Breweries. Played for  Bedlington Terriers and Grimsby in England and then Napier in New Zealand before relocating to Perth. By the by but the best footballer I ever played in a team with (now sadly passed far too young - RIP Jeff). Great lad for free samples of beers being introduced too!

Fanatical magpies supporter and had some cracking tales about Robson's tenure which at St James Park I will not repeat here as some of the snowflakes couldn't take it. They'd be sleeping with the bedside lamp on.

Summed up with "A mans man who called a spade a spade" (the last word not applicable to anything racial). Brian Clough another outstanding individual who should have managed England and did not mince his words. Sadly, a breed we most likely will never see again. "New, sensitive' soft arse types like Southgate likely to be the norm until the world wakes up.

Haha tickled me that 

What does taking the knee even stand for? Initially I thought it was BLM because of the banners in grounds and on shirts.

But then they (the prem & FL) distanced themselves from that. Said it was equality for ALL. No surprise.

So white and black, male and female, straight or guy, religious or non believer.

Who is it actually targeting? Because the the ones that fight for it are the ones that see others as the victims, you're the ones that see them as different, owe them something because of their skin colour, race, sex etc. Its wrong and fucked up.

Imagine being brought up to think the world is against you when it really isn't. Especially here in the UK.

I receive countless of abuse on social media all because I'm white and male.

I'm proud of who I am and where I come from. I don't need a knee or flag as a token of gesture. I get on with my life and make it the best i can for me and others.

It's all bollocks And is thankfully fading away.

• Members
4 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

What does taking the knee even stand for? Initially I thought it was BLM because of the banners in grounds and on shirts.

But then they (the prem & FL) distanced themselves from that. Said it was equality for ALL. No surprise.

So white and black, male and female, straight or guy, religious or non believer.

Who is it actually targeting? Because the the ones that fight for it are the ones that see others as the victims, you're the ones that see them as different, owe them something because of their skin colour, race, sex etc. Its wrong and fucked up.

Imagine being brought up to think the world is against you when it really isn't. Especially here in the UK.

I'm proud of who I am and where I come from. I don't need a knee or flag as a token of gesture. I get on with my life and make it the best i can for me and others.

Great post. They have completely over egged this knee bollocks and, along the lines of 'The boy who cried wolf' and it has lost all impact because of it.

I take the significance of the knee to be attributable to the unfortunate death of a single drug addled career criminal at the hands of a stupid and possibly racist US police officer in the company of fellow uniformed idiots. No doubt the wets on here will be along very shortly to bundle the entire world history of slavery/racism into the equation. So be it.

If they want to virtue signal, why not go for bigger targets? My suggestion would be that all players lie on the floor in the shape of a letter 'X' to represent multiple deaths in shootings at US educational facilities. To my knowledge, these deaths have included whites, hispanics, Afro Americans, the full panoply of US society - worst of all most with long, long lives ahead of them which was taken away by some scumbag or other.

This I could respect. 

6 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

The commentators say it every single week.

Its to show support against Racism and all forms of discrimination.

Not sure whats wrong with that. Do feel as though we maybe need to think of something else now in this country. I suppose its all aimed at attacking the subconscious. Keep the message driven and people will be more sensitive to stuff they'd normally dismiss.

I was hugely sceptical about it at first, especially with its BLM links. But after explaining to my kids what it means I figure it all helps. Its not just about racsims per se afterall.

Southgate now saying when picking players to take penalties in a shootout he's taking into account if they'll be racially abused if they miss.

Now that really is a depressing state of affairs.

... and what makes it even more depressing is we've seen it to be the case where the black players who missed against Italy did receive such abuse.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Great post. They have completely over egged this knee bollocks and, along the lines of 'The boy who cried wolf' and it has lost all impact because of it.

I take the significance of the knee to be attributable to the unfortunate death of a single drug addled career criminal at the hands of a stupid and possibly racist US police officer in the company of fellow uniformed idiots. No doubt the wets on here will be along very shortly to bundle the entire world history of slavery/racism into the equation. So be it.

If they want to virtue signal, why not go for bigger targets? My suggestion would be that all players lie on the floor in the shape of a letter 'X' to represent multiple deaths in shootings at US educational facilities. To my knowledge, these deaths have included whites, hispanics, Afro Americans, the full panoply of US society - worst of all most with long, long lives ahead of them which was taken away by some scumbag or other.

This I could respect. 

So you have ignored every message issued by the players about why they are taking the knee and instead added your own interpretation ? 
Not sure why the England team would take the knee about a political issue that is solely (or 99%) an American issue, but good to know you are supportive of players making gestures on political issues. 

8 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

I have never once been abused on social media for being a white male, have had a bit when I say something stupid or that others disagree with. I have been called a 'traitor' 'democracy denier' and 'woke' for saying I did not and still do not understand the benefits of Brexit. 
I do not really follow your point above, if Tyrone Mings takes the knee and the gesture is aimed at highlighting amongst other things racism that he feels he has suffered, not sure it fits your interpretation. 
Think everyone knows associating with the BLM political party was a mistake early on, but harping back to that and ignoring the multitude of messages since is strange. 

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Southgate now saying when picking players to take penalties in a shootout he's taking into account if they'll be racially abused if they miss.

Now that really is a depressing state of affairs.

... and what makes it even more depressing is we've seen it to be the case where the black players who missed against Italy did receive such abuse.

A few bell ends with racist tweets should not be any reason to change penalty takers, most folk were more pissed off with Southgate for putting young inexperienced players who had just come on as subs rather than thinking that these lads were black. Sick and tired of everything returning to racism.