Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Let's not bother holding a minutes silence for terrorism victims because there will always be terrorists. 

Let's sack off poppies then because that's not only remembering WW1 victims but also WW2 and fallen soldiers in ALL wars, therefore it's not a clear message as to who we're supporting.

Let's boycott the Labour party for using red as its primary colour as it has Communist associations.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They did "Kick It Out" for years which was essentially a less 'in your face' way of bringing the issue of racism into the consciousness of football supporters. Now the players are taking the knee as a sign of solidarity for a few seconds before each game. It's a well-intentioned message that 'racism is bad' if you're looking to overcomplicate that message then I don't really understand why.

If you want to call it virtue signalling then fair enough, I can actually understand the cynicism behind that line of thinking. But I still think it's just a pointless argument to make because at least it's making a positive and conscious effort to do something good, even if it's just to garner the favour of the population. Which I don't think it is in this case.

Can't be arsed discussing this subject anymore, however it's important to note that a minute's silence for fallen soldiers is a world away from a gesture that is disputed in its derivation and meaning.

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Let's not bother holding a minutes silence for terrorism victims because there will always be terrorists. 

Let's sack off poppies then because that's not only remembering WW1 victims but also WW2 and fallen soldiers in ALL wars, therefore it's not a clear message as to who we're supporting.

Let's boycott the Labour party for using red as its primary colour as it has Communist associations.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They did "Kick It Out" for years which was essentially a less 'in your face' way of bringing the issue of racism into the consciousness of football supporters. Now the players are taking the knee as a sign of solidarity for a few seconds before each game. It's a well-intentioned message that 'racism is bad' if you're looking to overcomplicate that message then I don't really understand why.

If you want to call it virtue signalling then fair enough, I can actually understand the cynicism behind that line of thinking. But I still think it's just a pointless argument to make because at least it's making a positive and conscious effort to do something good, even if it's just to garner the favour of the population. Which I don't think it is in this case.

Well said

Edited by London Wanderer

• Members
11 minutes ago, DazBob said:

What trick is that?  Presumably using the term gammon?

I could justifiably use far more offensive terms in plenty of cases, but opt for the least offensive, because I'm nice like that. 😘

Anyway, Colin Kipperdick?  How old are you?? Lolz.

Bastard predictive text............

Go for your life with the more offensive terms pal. Water off a ducks back. Make it a bit less boring and repetitive than the 'r' word though eh?

Eggs seasoned and ready to go.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Can't be arsed discussing this subject anymore, however it's important to note that a minute's silence for fallen soldiers is a world away from a gesture that is disputed in its derivation and meaning.

Agree on all counts. Those led by the nose by social media aren't likely to suddenly take up the outrageous act of arriving at a personal opinion.

Without those fallen soldiers they very likely wouldn't be able to fall into line with social media trends. If social media would ever have been able to develop would be unlikely and even if it was it would be state controlled and in German.

1 minute ago, bolty58 said:

Agree on all counts. Those led by the nose by social media aren't likely to suddenly take up the outrageous act of arriving at a personal opinion.

Without those fallen soldiers they very likely wouldn't be able to fall into line with social media trends. If social media would ever have been able to develop would be unlikely and even if it was it would be state controlled and in German.

If Hitler had won there would be no gay or black footballers.  Every cloud and all that.

Ha, I'm done.  Just hoping for a good game tonight.  I'll take a repeat of our last game against them.

(Word of warning to the easily offended though, Ze Germans will also be kneeling prior to kick off)

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

With all due respect, its complete inside the point. Racism in the game wasn't taken seriously enough (hence the slight nod to it with Kick It Out, but nothing really changing), and now the biggest asset the FA have (the senior men's England team) make it a central issue has completely changed the way its dealt with and its place on the footall, and social, agenda.

Aye, I saw what you meant after re-reading it and changed it lol. 

Just skim read it at first and misinterpreted the point you were making, my bad

• Site Supporter

I love that lads who don’t like politics in football are ok to wander about with England flags that have “no surrender” written on them and a red hand of Ulster in the middle.

Thats not very “football” is it?

3 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Seen a photo of a load of our lot in a group out there but blurred faces, not seen much in the way of Bolton following other than that though 

This lot from Harwood over there. No idea who any of em are like. Posh harwood hoolies :D

Screenshot_20220607-203632_WhatsApp.jpg

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

This lot from Harwood over there. No idea who any of em are like. Posh harwood hoolies :D

Screenshot_20220607-203632_WhatsApp.jpg

One way of making sure their mams and dads don't get the absent from school fine. 

Clever lads