Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

13 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Ref been spot on all game 

Aye thought that he let loads go.

Grealish changed the game. Even if hes playing a simple ball he drags 3 men over and creates space in the middle. Some talent that.

Our centre backs dont half worry me.

Gone are the decades when you could be sure England would finish internationals against top nations clinging on for dear life and looking leggy. Overall that was a very average performance but only when set against the standards that Southgate has set. 

A 1-1 draw in Germany while under par is as good a sign as it gets.

Other observation would be that our subs made a real difference whereas Germany's seemed to set them back.

Edited by paulhanley

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Aye thought that he let loads go.

Grealish changed the game. Even if hes playing a simple ball he drags 3 men over and creates space in the middle. Some talent that.

Our centre backs dont half worry me.

yep some talent that lad 

Prefer coady over maguire myself 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Gone are the decades when you could be sure England would finish internationals against top nations clinging on for dear life and looking leggy. Overall that was a very average performance but only when set against the standards that Southgate has set. 

A 1-1 draw in Germany while under par is as good a sign as it gets.

Other observation would be that our subs made a real difference whereas Germany's seemed to set them back.

Germany took the best player off, I wouldn’t be getting excited by what I’ve seen, the defence all over the place all night, not sure what our style of play is, we neither sat back and hit on break or pressed. I’m not impressed and the win % does not show the full picture. 

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

offside, surely though.

I thought that the ref would go to the VAR, see a foul, but also that he'd been offside prior to that. Maybe the video only began after that.

wtf. was Pickford doing ?

We don't half miss the energy Luke Shaw brings.

Overall a poor display, but a draw, away to the Germans has to be acceptable.

Now, if anyone can explain what the competition is and, other than money for UEFA what it's point is, I'd be very grateful. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Oh, & yes, loved the way the ref let the game flow and had no truck with players flopping about & 'winning' fouls.

Agreed. Need to see this a lot more. Thought England looked ok tonight but Germany better, I’d give either team a shout in the World Cup 

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

I thought that the ref would go to the VAR, see a foul, but also that he'd been offside prior to that. Maybe the video only began after that.

wtf. was Pickford doing ?

We don't half miss the energy Luke Shaw brings.

Overall a poor display, but a draw, away to the Germans has to be acceptable.

Now, if anyone can explain what the competition is and, other than money for UEFA what it's point is, I'd be very grateful. 

Nation league is supposed to scrap meaningless friendlies.

Teams are put in groups based on ability. A, B  C and so on.

Finish bottom on the group you get relegated. Top and you get promoted. 

Each tournament is over 2 years? So think we play each team in our group home & away.

Top teams in group A (4 of them) play a semi.... then a final to determine the winner. Not sure what the winner gets?

Wales finished top of group B group. This ment they qualified for a world cup playoff position. Not sure if that's replicated in other groups.

Seems odd that team that finished Top of a nation league group can then go on to finish bottom (they didn't and came second) of world cup qualifying group but still make the play off.

That's all I know and some of it might be bollocks.

Edited by wanderer1984

I quite like the set up of the Nations League, teams can treat the games as meaningless as friendlies or as important as their own mini Euro Championships it's up to them.

The format is convoluted and I don't like how it gives teams a back door into the proper Euros, but I dont mind the actual matches. The scheduling of this particular one being up the wall because of a winter world cup isn't great though, but as long as its not Boltons players being run into the ground I don't care.

Edited by Marc505

7 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Germany took the best player off, I wouldn’t be getting excited by what I’ve seen, the defence all over the place all night, not sure what our style of play is, we neither sat back and hit on break or pressed. I’m not impressed and the win % does not show the full picture. 

Southgate was trying a back 4 with the exact personel he would do at the world cup. He also planned to make the subs to make an impact after 60-70mins.

You know like he did in the euros to get us through the groups.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, wanderer1984 said:

Nation league is supposed to scrap meaningless friendlies.

Teams are put in groups based on ability. A, B  C and so on.

Finish bottom on the group you get relegated. Top and you get promoted. 

Each tournament is over 2 years? So think we play each team in our group home & away.

Top teams in group A (4 of them) play a semi.... then a final to determine the winner. Not sure what the winner gets?

Wales finished top of group B group. This ment they qualified for a world cup playoff position. Not sure if that's replicated in other groups.

Seems odd that team that finished Top of a nation league group can then go on to finish bottom (they didn't and came second) of world cup qualifying group but still make the play off.

That's all I know and some of it might be bollocks.

I like them, gives the minnows something to play for rather than just turning up to get spanked

There's prize money for what that's worth but they will be used as part of qualifying for euro 2024 

Had a read of the format 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_qualifying 

Reminds me of