Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Southgate was trying a back 4 with the exact personel he would do at the world cup. He also planned to make the subs to make an impact after 60-70mins.

You know like he did in the euros to get us through the groups.

It’s all about opinions and we all want to see a successful England team, my view is we are a long way of being that at the moment, let’s hope we can get a settled and successful formation, concerns for me are at centre half, over reliance on Kane, and an overly negative manager who hasn’t got them organised/drilled or a set style of play.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s all about opinions and we all want to see a successful England team, my view is we are a long way of being that at the moment, let’s hope we can get a settled and successful formation, concerns for me are at centre half, over reliance on Kane, and an overly negative manager who hasn’t got them organised/drilled or a set style of play.

Deffo, like arse holes weve all got em. 

I too wish he'd take the handbreak off sooner. The too holders loses us so much power in midfield. 

Sooner Grealish starts the better. He just doesnt seem to trust him does he ;(

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Germany took the best player off, I wouldn’t be getting excited by what I’ve seen, the defence all over the place all night, not sure what our style of play is, we neither sat back and hit on break or pressed. I’m not impressed and the win % does not show the full picture. 

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over these friendlies, the players don't even want to be there. 

They're pointless and should be potted 

I'd take nothing from these performances at all

21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Deffo, like arse holes weve all got em. 

I too wish he'd take the handbreak off sooner. The too holders loses us so much power in midfield. 

Sooner Grealish starts the better. He just doesnt seem to trust him does he ;(

Tbf, he never did much for city when he got the chance this season 

But I think he's very a much a 2nd season job for pep, so hopefully he comes good for the winter

• Site Supporter

I think Southgate feels Grealish is most effective when defenders are tiring which is fair enough. Though both Saka & Sterling were gash last night but do have the pace to tire defenders. 

Foden is a must start for me but he will stick with Rice, Phillips & Mount if fit. 

• Site Supporter

I like Mount as a player- does well at Chelsea, but it doesn't really work for England. 

Sterling and Saka both poor last night.

We tried to play the modern way last night, but with two holding midfielders and an active German press we struggled to build from the back. It often ended up with the keeper hoofing it long anyway.

The two wide strikers being on the wrong side gave us no great width. At least Grealish can control the ball on the spot and take defenders out of the game.

We're so much better on the front foot, with a bit of pace to the game.

1 hour ago, L/H White said:

Tbf, he never did much for city when he got the chance this season 

But I think he's very a much a 2nd season job for pep, so hopefully he comes good for the winter

100% bought for this season to play with a striker.

His whole game is about getting the ball to a front man. Spent all season at city having to turn inside and play the short pass as there was nobody making a run.

Different kettle of fish with Haaland/Alvarez up top. 

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I think Southgate feels Grealish is most effective when defenders are tiring which is fair enough. Though both Saka & Sterling were gash last night but do have the pace to tire defenders. 

Foden is a must start for me but he will stick with Rice, Phillips & Mount if fit. 

And that's my problem with Southgate. If Foden is not one of first names on team sheet something is badly wrong. Negative limited manager who IMO has got better attacking players than so called golden generation.  Central defence still big concern I will give him that. 

5 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Am I the only one who isn't impressed by Foden, for England anyway. Did zip in the Euros. 

He was a sub mainly, didn't he hit the post really early on in a game? Can't remember which one

I dont know if Southgate is naturally inclined to be more of a cautious manager tactically. Or if he thinks that, since our attackers are top quality but our defenders are only decent, that he plays a rigid system to keep it tight and let the attackers us their prowess on the counter.

I did think we showed Germany too much respect but Hansi Flick is a good manager and they looked the real deal at times, and in the end we arguably had the better chances even though they dominated the possession. 

I fancy them and Brazil for the World Cup this year

3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

🤣😅 Going out on a limb there Mants.

Haha I know it sounds like an easy prediction because historically they're both the best teams, but recently both have been disappointing.

Germany been knocked out by us and South Korea in the last two major tournaments.

Brazil knocked out by Belgium at last world cup, which isn't an awful result considering Belgium's golden generation, but their last World Cup triumph was 2002

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, jayjayoghani said:

Am I the only one who isn't impressed by Foden, for England anyway. Did zip in the Euros. 

Similar to Mount: I think it's a case of trying to fit such players into the set up.

They play in "intelligent" footballing teams, which I reckon Southgate would like to emulate, but it's not always so simple to achieve. Chelsea and City wouldn't need to play both Rice and Phillips- whether that's just down to how the manager sees things or him no having confidence in some of the others defensively, who knows.

2 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Was injured wasn't he at some stage. Foden is world class if only our top class manager knew what to do with him. Perhaps give Pep a ring he starts more than Sterling these days for the champions. 

• Moderators

we have the talent to have a good go at some teams, but GS is far too cautious

best performance of the Euros was when Grealish came on against Germany at 0-0 and we went at them and won 2-0

I get caution first, attack second, doesn't always work though, we did the same against Scotland and don't think we had a shot on target in the second half

and then if you accidently score early like we did in the final, it's caution all the way and all you do is drop deeper as the game goes on

maybe it's a learning curve, but hope he learnt from the last euros when, in the final, Mancini gave him a lesson in how to do it properly

Would like to see Kane playing behind a striker for a one off experiment. A lot of the time when he insists on going deep nobody is there. There's no Son in our side

Mount gets picked because nobody presses like him up top. Needs to start doing more with the ball like.

30 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Maybe where Bowen comes in.

All those years with Vardy wasted on the bench. Soon as he packs in Kane starts playing deep :D

Southgate should give Vardy a ring see if he fancies it. I personally don't care if he opted out of qualifying or not just get best team out there