Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

57 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Is it just me or did anyone else find Grealish and Sterling to be ineffective?

Can’t make my mind up on Grealish. Looked superb against Germany and deserved his chance but felt like he didn’t take it today.

Hoping the second season syndrome at Man City benefits us as well.

Sterling not to dissimilar but I think he’s proven at the top level he can deliver.

1 minute ago, tomski said:

Can’t make my mind up on Grealish. Looked superb against Germany and deserved his chance but felt like he didn’t take it today.

Hoping the second season syndrome at Man City benefits us as well.

Sterling not to dissimilar but I think he’s proven at the top level he can deliver.

He was our only player with any form of intent. Ran out of steam like the rest of em.

Heard today this was mounts 64th game this season. What a ridiculous time to be playing these games.

Wonder if Italy will get slated for parking 10 men behind the ball for the full 2nd half or will folk have a wankathon at the great Italian way?

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

He was our only player with any form of intent. Ran out of steam like the rest of em.

Heard today this was mounts 64th game this season. What a ridiculous time to be playing these games.

Wonder if Italy will get slated for parking 10 men behind the ball for the full 2nd half or will folk have a wankathon at the great Italian way?

Great points. Interesting hearing Del Piero then saying it’s a well earned point. 

In regards to the matches played I’ve just said exactly the same to my missus, she couldn’t of been less interested ha. I’m glad someone agrees. This is a good idea and tournament but the timing is bonkers. Not sure when they are supposed to fit in though with the amount of games though.

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Did gazza continue to play 2 defensive Centre mids? Watched first half, made my eyes bleed. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, gonzo said:

But why continue to play Mount? He knows what he brings to the party. Try Bowen, Gallagher, Grealish or Saka in that position to see what they offer..... Or is that a bit too radical? 

34 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

But why continue to play Mount? He knows what he brings to the party. Try Bowen, Gallagher, Grealish or Saka in that position to see what they offer..... Or is that a bit too radical? 

I am at a loss to what Mount brings to the party tbh 

I’m not sure why people are getting upset about these games or the way we play. In these games we are trying different players to see if they can adapt to international football. Just look at some of the other results over the last week from other teams. In tournament football you have to be a little cautious because if you fuck it up you don’t get another chance. It’s not like league football. 

out of interest who do people think we could get that would play free flow attacking football.  We ain’t getting pep or Klopp so anyone else would be much of a muchness.  2 tournaments a semi and a final  not much more he can do apart from win it of course 

As for everyone saying we have the best squad in the world is wrong. Attack wise we have some good depth but you can’t play all of them.  France lost at home to Denmark and drew away to Austria, Belgium got thrashed at home and just drew to wales, these are games that nobody wants to be playing so I’ll save my judgement for the tournaments where to be fair it’s been pretty exciting over the last 4 years

1 minute ago, superkev said:

I’m not sure why people are getting upset about these games or the way we play. In these games we are trying different players to see if they can adapt to international football. Just look at some of the other results over the last week from other teams. In tournament football you have to be a little cautious because if you fuck it up you don’t get another chance. It’s not like league football. 

out of interest who do people think we could get that would play free flow attacking football.  We ain’t getting pep or Klopp so anyone else would be much of a muchness.  2 tournaments a semi and a final  not much more he can do apart from win it of course 

As for everyone saying we have the best squad in the world is wrong. Attack wise we have some good depth but you can’t play all of them.  France lost at home to Denmark and drew away to Austria, Belgium got thrashed at home and just drew to wales, these are games that nobody wants to be playing so I’ll save my judgement for the tournaments where to be fair it’s been pretty exciting over the last 4 years

I agree with most of your comments but it’s just not great to watch!

I completely get the concept of this Nations League. Get rid of meaningless friendlies. But somebody convince me that there’s any difference. Does anyone give a shit that we might be relegated? Look at the teams played across all nations. It’s reserve players getting a run out with first teamers thinking that they’d rather be clubbing in Ibiza or Dubai

9 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

Mad how opinions differ. Hes some talent that lad. Keeps it all ticking with the simple stuff and energy. 

Undroppable when on it. Did ok in first half but clearly shagged.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

Mount is a good player having a thin patch for his country.... My point is having played 64 games for Chelsea & Southgate knowing his capabilities why not try an unknown in there? Bowen has looked very good in his cameos so far & Gallagher needs a chance. 

10 hours ago, nantwichwhite said:

Same here.

I accept I may be wrong and more capable people than me rate him highly but I honestly don't get him.

Regarding Grealish, he's a great talent but an instinct player who's a bit like that best kid at school who can't be harnessed into any pattern. That's why he's currently best as an impact sub.

He drops to the floor a bit less, after a year under Pep, but it's still his natural way.

That said the turgid, ultra defensive stuff St. Gareth is churning out needs someone to liven it up. 

14 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Mount is a good player having a thin patch for his country.... My point is having played 64 games for Chelsea & Southgate knowing his capabilities why not try an unknown in there? Bowen has looked very good in his cameos so far & Gallagher needs a chance. 

Agree 100%, deffo in the first two games he was going with who starts in the WC, two diff back lines to suit.

Mad all this talk about tiredness by the way, they wouldnt be tired if it was the WC cup starting yesterday :D

....and neither would we as fans haha

2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Same here.

I accept I may be wrong and more capable people than me rate him highly but I honestly don't get him.

Regarding Grealish, he's a great talent but an instinct player who's a bit like that best kid at school who can't be harnessed into any pattern. That's why he's currently best as an impact sub.

He drops to the floor a bit less, after a year under Pep, but it's still his natural way.

That said the turgid, ultra defensive stuff St. Gareth is churning out needs someone to liven it up. 

The only turgid defensive stuff on show last night was from the Italians.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Mad how opinions differ. Hes some talent that lad. Keeps it all ticking with the simple stuff and energy. 

Undroppable when on it. Did ok in first half but clearly shagged.

The tournament is a farce, top players are being flogged to death. I suppose my point is that the roving commission that Southgate gives him, you would get more creativity if Grealish, Foden or even Saka would be employed in that role. Everything you say about Mount is true, ball retention, fitness and stamina. But he is being used in a pivotal role and I would expect him to score more goals and create more goals when he is playing there, not just for this tournament but period. We should have the talent to beat a weakened Italian team, if Gareth had been more adventurous in the final we would have won it. Southgate will have the job as long as he wants it but somebody should be whispering in his ear about becoming a touch more expansive as our obvious creative talents in my opinion are being underused.

36 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Well, I must bow to your view as I fell asleep after about 30 minutes & then saw the last 15 ... & wished I hadn't. 

If you watched the last 15 then you'd have watched us pass the ball in their half solidly while they camped out blocking any runners. They had a flurry of chances late in the 2nd half and that was it. We had all the ball, in their half for 75% of the match.

Who has naps at 8:30pm anyway? What are you 90?

Go to bed if your that tired.

Edited by gonzo

• Members
14 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No, both a bit shit. Sterling has been for a while. Just occasionally, I'd like to see wide men employed on their correct sides, so natural width, and some crosses in earlier.

Abraham got nothing to attack, bar one cross that Sterling should have finished off.

I actually feel for the players having to play in this comp. I know there'll be talk of 'World Cup preparations' but FFS, they seem to play all year round now. Burnout has to be an issue.

59 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If you watched the last 15 then you'd have watched us pass the ball in their half solidly while they camped out blocking any runners. They had a flurry of chances late in the 2nd half and that was it. We had all the ball, in their half for 75% of the match.

Who has naps at 8:30pm anyway? What are you 90?

Go to bed if your that tired.

Telling me how to manage my life now. How very authoritarian.