Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

• Members
2 hours ago, jeep said:

Anyone getting upset about these last 4 games needs to give their a wobble....

Roll on November, it's coming home...... 😉

:roll: I sincerely hope that you are correct. Can't see it. He had his chance and from where I am standing it appears that the game is up.  A bit like the Championship teams going up to the PL. A glorious period in the sun until they are sussed and then it's all downhill from there.

Can't see us getting past the quarters and even that far might be a step too much.

12 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

'Irks'? No matey. 'Bores'. It's becoming like the excruciating over use of the 'r' word and the taking the knee overkill. It will very likely have the opposite effect to that intended.

Maybe the offerings of others who use it offer far more diversity. FFS, did I have to choose that word :roll:

Roflbrothel

22 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Nice touch of red there 👌

Go on then Basher - what evidence have you got that Southgate wastes time virtue signalling when he should be focusing on tactics? All he's done so far is answer questions in press conferences. From where I'm looking it's looking like he's achieved more than most of the 'non virtue brigade' that have had the job since 66. 

Our  WanderersWays Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage wannabees have been patiently waiting the past 2 years to blame some shit results on the taking of the knee. Quite a pathetic and unpatriotic way to support your country in all honesty. 

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Oh do fuck off. You know full well that I'm right.

He needs to concentrate on what he is amply paid to do. Sadly, as they say these days, he just doesn't have the minerals as has become clear in recent games and glaringly obvious in a major international final.

If you're so fucking obsessed with all of these minority issues rather than what is important to the overwhelming majority then become another London Wanderer, research transport hubs/methods and invest in some super glue FFS.

Press ask Southgate questions. He has pre-prepared responses that are the compiled by literally anybody but him that toe the FA party line and they move on to the next question. He isn’t skipping training to go to a Black Disabled Lesbian jamboree, nor is he likely to be having the players singing Kumbaya instead of practicing set pieces (we all know that’s Evatt’s technique).

I’ve long made no secret that, in international football matters, I’m very much of the skirt wearing persuasion so literally have no horse to back in the race, so I’d like to think I might be able to offer more of a balanced view than those who are emotionally invested.

If you want him sacked because of results (personally I’d argue the Euros should have earned him more than enough credit by now, in much the same way I didn’t want Steve Clarke sacked after last week’s shoeing in Dublin) then fair enough, but to think he’s devoting any football time to other matters is frankly ridiculous, and any suggestion that the next man in line is going to be any different is way off the mark. 

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Oh do fuck off. You know full well that I'm right.

He needs to concentrate on what he is amply paid to do. Sadly, as they say these days, he just doesn't have the minerals as has become clear in recent games and glaringly obvious in a major international final.

If you're so fucking obsessed with all of these minority issues rather than what is important to the overwhelming majority then become another London Wanderer, research transport hubs/methods and invest in some super glue FFS.

The minerals 🤣

• Members
13 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Nice touch of red there 👌

Go on then Basher - what evidence have you got that Southgate wastes time virtue signalling when he should be focusing on tactics? All he's done so far is answer questions in press conferences. From where I'm looking it's looking like he's achieved more than most of the 'non virtue brigade' that have had the job since 66. 

Our  WanderersWays Nick Griffin and Nigel Farage wannabees have been patiently waiting the past 2 years to blame some shit results on the taking of the knee. Quite a pathetic and unpatriotic way to support your country in all honesty. 

What evidence have you got that he doesn't? What evidence do any of us have about anything? Give it a rest pal.

Blaming shit results on the taking of the knee? FFS, you should work for the fanciful Daily Sickle Mirror with spin like that.

Southgate out. FA yes man who will simply be average.

• Members
12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Press ask Southgate questions. He has pre-prepared responses that are the compiled by literally anybody but him that toe the FA party line and they move on to the next question. He isn’t skipping training to go to a Black Disabled Lesbian jamboree, nor is he likely to be having the players singing Kumbaya instead of practicing set pieces (we all know that’s Evatt’s technique).

I’ve long made no secret that, in international football matters, I’m very much of the skirt wearing persuasion so literally have no horse to back in the race, so I’d like to think I might be able to offer more of a balanced view than those who are emotionally invested.

If you want him sacked because of results (personally I’d argue the Euros should have earned him more than enough credit by now, in much the same way I didn’t want Steve Clarke sacked after last week’s shoeing in Dublin) then fair enough, but to think he’s devoting any football time to other matters is frankly ridiculous, and any suggestion that the next man in line is going to be any different is way off the mark. 

Oh FFS, I hadn't picked up on the cross dressing. It's fucking Leither Matt. 

No intention of discussing the England national team with transvestites. 

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Leither Matt?

Intentional or not, that's actually very very good. He'll like that.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Leither Matt?

Intentional or not, that's actually very very good. He'll like that.

50 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Got to be worth a change of username that, Matt. Superb.

Cap (or, in this situation, tam o’shanter) doffed. 

47 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I was in rail seats at on Tues in the south bank.

Absolutely superb. Got to be a call to have that put in across the board. Would love it in the East stand.

Loads more room as well.

Did it cover the full stand? Weirdly at Spurs the other week watching the rugby it is only the bottom section of the lower and then up towards the back and not the huge swathes in the middle. The days of hopping over rows of seats rather than pushing past people are numbered!

20 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Can't see us getting past the quarters and even that far might be a step too much.

I think the quarters is about where we are these days, we're certainly not in the top 4 of the world. I'd see the quarters as being reasonably successful, I certainly don't think we have the quality to be winning it, or even to get to the final. Hopefully I'm wrong, and we get a nice cushy roll through to the semi-finals like we did in the last WC

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Yeah, last eight in the World isn't a failure.

Ignore world rankings, there's serious danger from Argentina, Brazil, Spain, France, Germany, Holland to name just six.

In all honesty each one of those (and Belgium & us) can beat any of the others on any given day. So little between the top 8 or 10 in the rankings really. 

we just don’t do it consistently enough at the moment. The debate about Southgate is, is he the fella who can elevate us to that next level where we are facing these teams at any point in a competition and coming out on the right side more often than not… 

if we win our group I’m sure we could get France in the quarters and i wouldn’t go in to that with much confidence at the min and with our record against the other top sides 

Edited by barrycowdrill

On 16/06/2022 at 09:06, bolty58 said:

What evidence have you got that he doesn't? What evidence do any of us have about anything? Give it a rest pal.

Blaming shit results on the taking of the knee? FFS, you should work for the fanciful Daily Sickle Mirror with spin like that.

Southgate out. FA yes man who will simply be average.

They were your words not mine fella - you made it very clear that you thought he should spend less time being a virtue signaller and more time managing the team. 

I definitely agree with you that Southgate is an average manager - I hope we're all wrong come Qatar. 

It's pretty obvious that he spends his time managing though - going to games, meeting players, scouting etc. over making political statements. I could provide you with evidence of him doing those things but I'm sure you'd rather not have a stream of photos of him doing his job.

It's also pretty obvious that he's still in the job because of our last two tournament runs, not because he's an 'FA yes man'. It would take a brave man/women/hedgehog to sack him now and I doubt they will, especially with no decent replacement. Could potentially make things worse. 

Southgate seems a decent but boring bloke, not what you would think makes a good manager, but last 2 tournaments has done with the players available.

it seems people are over egging our squad . In terms of world class how many we really have ? In terms Top international class ?

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-team-of-the-season-2021-22-b2081019.html?amp

Whatever you opinions are if you take the best premiership 11 , you struggle to get more than 3 or 4 in there. 

Keeper - average

Right Back - Trent Alexander for me is as good as anything. Walker for his pace makes City a better team so think ok there

Left back - struggle

Centre Halves - struggle

Midfield - Rice does a job, Mount yet to convince, Philips did well in euros but poor season with injuries and form, Bellingham not seen enough. 

Forwards - Foden and Kane .. fine

So by my reckoning we have 4 or 5 decent level international players then a lot who have proved themselves yet. 

If Kane does not play well we struggle to anything and he was not Spurs best attacker last season and they finished a distant 4th. 

Aye world class, Kyle Walker is first name I think of, genuinely the best right back in the world.

Then you've got Kane and after that Im struggling. Theres some will make it in time, Foden, Mount, Rice, Grealish will all get there imo. 

Pickford has been on the edge for the past 6 months.

There aren’t many “world class” in many of the other teams tbh. You can do the same with every nation and pick 3 or 4 max! 

as I said before there’s very little between the top 8-10 sides it’s really down to who performs better over the 90 minutes on the day gets the result. 

GS was saying the other day there needs to be more of a spread of goals around the team. We can’t rely on Kane & Sterling. He’s absolutely right. We can’t. However he also needs to recognise he also plays a part in that too. Picking forward thinking players based on what they give you going towards your own goal isn’t going to make us as ambitious as this squad should be 

31 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

There aren’t many “world class” in many of the other teams tbh. You can do the same with every nation and pick 3 or 4 max! 

as I said before there’s very little between the top 8-10 sides it’s really down to who performs better over the 90 minutes on the day gets the result. 

GS was saying the other day there needs to be more of a spread of goals around the team. We can’t rely on Kane & Sterling. He’s absolutely right. We can’t. However he also needs to recognise he also plays a part in that too. Picking forward thinking players based on what they give you going towards your own goal isn’t going to make us as ambitious as this squad should be 

All about opinions. 

But of our other player I have more at 5/6 out of ten than 7/8. There is potential there but I think in last 2 tournaments the team did as well as we could have hoped. I just do not think a back that potentially includes Stones, Maguire and Luke Shaw will be good enough without a lot of protection and if you need to play Philips and Rice, it asking a lot of the other 4 to beat 3-4 good teams on the run. 
My view is not helped by the fact I think Raheem Sterling is shit