Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games

deane koontz

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

There aren’t many “world class” in many of the other teams tbh. You can do the same with every nation and pick 3 or 4 max! 

as I said before there’s very little between the top 8-10 sides it’s really down to who performs better over the 90 minutes on the day gets the result. 

GS was saying the other day there needs to be more of a spread of goals around the team. We can’t rely on Kane & Sterling. He’s absolutely right. We can’t. However he also needs to recognise he also plays a part in that too. Picking forward thinking players based on what they give you going towards your own goal isn’t going to make us as ambitious as this squad should be 

Aye, you can't go 8-1-1 then moan we're aren't scoring enough

10 minutes ago, Ani said:

All about opinions. 

But of our other player I have more at 5/6 out of ten than 7/8. There is potential there but I think in last 2 tournaments the team did as well as we could have hoped. I just do not think a back that potentially includes Stones, Maguire and Luke Shaw will be good enough without a lot of protection and if you need to play Philips and Rice, it asking a lot of the other 4 to beat 3-4 good teams on the run. 
My view is not helped by the fact I think Raheem Sterling is shit

Yeh exactly. Our weak point is CB. So against the better sides he will always play rice and Phillips (think half the decision is out of necessity and the other half as that’s just the way he is) add Mount in to that who he chooses because of his good defensive work rather than what he adds going forward & 7 of your 10 outfield players are being asked to not concede. Big ask of the other 3… 

I have no idea what the stats are but I would bet decent money our midfield 3 rank very near the bottom of any goals & assists table which included the other top sides.. 

• Members
6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

They were your words not mine fella - you made it very clear that you thought he should spend less time being a virtue signaller and more time managing the team. 

I would be far more expansive than isolating simply the taking of the knee. As you well know, the FA and their puppet are obsessed with highlighting anything that the US left deem appropriate. I wonder if the rainbow armbands, kneeling, gender bias and diversity sermons etc. will ever extend to a stance on gun control?

I suppose we must wait for what CNN and the New York Times in cahoots with the Hollywood glitterati decide should be the next virtuosity binge?

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Not only did I travel to Wolverhampton to watch us get pumped 4-0, Ive managed to contract Covid from there too for the very first time.

What the actual fuck. Old gold wankers paying me back for Super John.

Gareth and the US lefties' fault. Obviously.

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Not only did I travel to Wolverhampton to watch us get pumped 4-0, Ive managed to contract Covid from there too for the very first time.

Hope you’ve reported it to the NHS and isolating until the required period.

*Like fuck

**Did you pay out for a test or did you have a spare LFT lying around?

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Hope you’ve reported it to the NHS and isolating until the required period.

*Like fuck

**Did you pay out for a test or did you have a spare LFT lying around?

Had a latty flow mate, needed to know as fly to Belfast next and was meant to be out the couple we are going with tomorrow. Cant risk them getting it and feeling like I do for the trip :(

• Site Supporter
On 17/06/2022 at 20:12, gonzo said:

Have the young uns got it?

You'll be squeegee swiping soon enough. 

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Have the young uns got it?

You'll be squeegee swiping soon enough. 

No pal, wife is clear too, but they all only had it a couple of months ago but I escaped it. Still can't get my head around how it all works haha

Worked all the way through the heights of the pandemic, all my family had it twice, spent my mums last days on a covid ward including 2 days where she had it, yet I get it now 🤷

Mind-boggling. 

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, gonzo said:

No pal, wife is clear too, but they all only had it a couple of months ago but I escaped it. Still can't get my head around how it all works haha

Worked all the way through the heights of the pandemic, all my family had it twice, spent my mums last days on a covid ward including 2 days where she had it, yet I get it now 🤷

Mind-boggling. 

It is indeed. Sure you'll be reet soon enough. Wife's sister and her family have been ravaged by it, and on more than one occasion. Some long covid too. Weird indeed.

On 17/06/2022 at 20:12, gonzo said:

Hope you’re ok bud; it’s a right bastard

43 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

Hope you’re ok bud; it’s a right bastard

Done my head in mate, I dont do being ill, like to be the double hard bastard that shields off viruses with my semi erect penis.

Proper done me this though. Cant even muster a wank. Done 2 straight days in bed watching true crime docs with intermittent sleeping/waking up in pools of sweat.

What a fanny.

• Site Supporter
On 19/06/2022 at 20:55, gonzo said:

Done my head in mate, I dont do being ill, like to be the double hard bastard that shields off viruses with my semi erect penis.

Proper done me this though. Cant even muster a wank. Done 2 straight days in bed watching true crime docs with intermittent sleeping/waking up in pools of sweat.

What a fanny.

Sounds a bit rough that. 

2 days of absolute snottery for me.

Didn't get back into full day working for a bit though. Half a day and I was spannered. 

• Site Supporter

I love watching England, a few more away days are in order. Deff doing Germany in 2 years but I much prefer the smaller away days. Kosovo was ace.

Going back to Southgate, he's doing as well as anyone could given the options he has. 

The 2006 team was far better but did fuck all.

5 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I love watching England, a few more away days are in order. Deff doing Germany in 2 years but I much prefer the smaller away days. Kosovo was ace.

Going back to Southgate, he's doing as well as anyone could given the options he has. 

The 2006 team was far better but did fuck all.

Italy? 

• Members
20 minutes ago, Ani said:

There seems a real correlation between people who hate taking the knee and those saying we have best squad ever.

Probably coincidence. 

Probably a furtive imagination more like. Best squad ever was in 1966, obviously. The only knee you'd likely have got from them was in the bollocks.

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Probably a furtive imagination more like. Best squad ever was in 1966, obviously. The only knee you'd likely have got from them was in the bollocks.

Of course real men do not take the knee. 

Going back to the World Class topic, it's very very subjective England wise, I personally think we have a few that are as good as any nation can muster and a couple of others that will soon be classed as the one of the best at what they do. I think you can go through the squad by position and highlight a fair number of players, so I will - 

GK: 

Pickford far from World Class but when it comes to International Tournaments his attitude and desire drive him to a level rarely seen in an England shirt between the sticks. 

The rest are capable back ups and it's nice to see we actually have depth compared to the past years of Rob Green and Chris Kirkland being options.

RB:

Trent as good as you get at the position, especially going forward, absolutely unrivalled in his playmaking ability from full-back and I find it mad that he isn't first name on the team sheet considering our apparent lack of creative ability further up the pitch. 

Reece James is very unlucky to be playing in the same team as Trent because I actually think he's the more balanced defender and certainly more athletic. Both for me would walk into any national team in the world. 

Walker as defending and pace goes he's as elite as they come, but as good as he is at that side of the game he's equally as poor at the forward stuff. For me he's more of a RCB in a 3 these days and in that role again would be considered World Class.

CB:

Our weakest position for me, both in terms of top level quality and depth unfortunately. Maguire fell off a cliff and Stones needs a strong partner to get the best out of him. 

Tomori, Guehi, White all a bit lightweight for me currently and a couple of them running out of time to really improve to the point of being high level international defenders.

Think with the way we've pivoted our academy systems to be more European we've lost a little bit in terms of bringing through centre halves at a top level. 

LB:

Shaw had the tournament of a lifetime last summer and then proceeded to completely lose form and confidence in his club football. Chilwell constantly injured and even when both playing at their best it's hard to say either are close to World Class, but the pair of them are more than capable to cause teams problems. 

CM:

Rice I think personally is phenomenal, currently the best in Europe at what he does and needs a club move soon if he's really going to show that at the top level domestically. 

Bellingham also for me is absolutely incredible and if he continues the trajectory he's on could well be considered one of the World's premiere footballers, think we're blessed to have the pair of them and occupying roles that shouldn't clash the way Gerrard, Lampard and Scholes unfortunately did. 

Mount for me is nothing special, yet continues to play consistently and successfully for Chelsea but can't translate that to what is being asked of him for England. 

Foden for me needs to be playing as a forward member of a midfield 3 for England, I think he's phenomenal and given more of the ball would be capable of tearing teams apart at international level. The closest we have to next becoming a 'World Class' talent, I think this season feeding into Haaland will elevate him and Grealish massively. 

LW:

Speaking of Grealish I think he's incredible, as thick as he is he's somehow our most intelligent player footballing wise, now I don't think he'll ever be considered one of the world's best but he should be a key figure in this England team regardless of the opposition. 

Sancho is a strange one, if he'd have stayed at Dortmund the media I'm sure would be claiming he's England's best player, but another that has stagnated at United and for England's sake really needs them to sort their shit out to take that next step. 

RW:

Sterling, baffles me the stick he gets, he'll go down as one of the Premier League's greatest ever wingers and statistically one of England's modern heros, but for some reason gets nothing but consistent hate despite being effective every time he plays for club or country. Currently Engalnd's 3rd best player behind Kane and Trent, still only 27 we're incredibly fortunate to have him and possibly still have his best years ahead. 

Saka and Bowen are similar for me, they perform well for clubs in the Prem and I'm told are very good players but any time I settle in to watch either they look poor especially for England. Perhaps their team's set them up for success more than International football will allow them, but I don't think either suit playing in sides that come up against defences in low blocks that require patience and movement off the ball to break down. 

ST:

As World Class as they come in the modern era, as frustrating as I personally sometimes find him when he comes deep and abandons natural goal scoring areas, he is very good at bringing others into play. 

What worries me is the serious lack of potential successors to leading this line for England, it isn't Tammy as decent of a finisher as he is and it isn't DCL. Perhaps there's a younger lad again at one of the big academies that I'm not aware of but we are reliant currently on Kane staying at this level and staying fit for a good few years yet. 

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Trent is that bad at defending he should be a midfielder.

Agreed, I'd have Trent absolutely nowhere near playing RB for England - OK if playing with 3 CBs and we need a right sided wingback, but I'm not happy with him at FB

For leftback, I'd hope that Chilwell is back in time, if not, then possibly Saka playing LWB

I don't think we'll be 4-4-2 when it comes to is anyway, I think more likely to be 3-5-2, 

Pickford

Walker - Maguire - Stones

James - Rice - Phillips - Foden - Chilwell/Saka

Kane - Grealish

Edited by Sweep