Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England games


deane koontz
 Share

Recommended Posts

No wonder people booed. That was dire.

The fans who bought tickets, arranged flights, took days off, booked hotels, had meals & drinks, paid airport parking fees, got internal transport - must be spending close to £1k each to watch that turgid shite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fear not. All is well. As Southgate said, you have to pick out the positives.

Our pre match virtue signalling and armband protests are all completely sorted. Football? Who gives a fuck?

I am sure that his FA puppet masters are delighted with the way things are going with World Cup preparations. We can come home with heads held high even if it is at the completion of the group stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Fear not. All is well. As Southgate said, you have to pick out the positives.

Our pre match virtue signalling and armband protests are all completely sorted. Football? Who gives a fuck?

I am sure that his FA puppet masters are delighted with the way things are going with World Cup preparations. We can come home with heads held high even if it is at the completion of the group stage.

This "virtue signalling" really has you rattled, doesn't it? 

If you're not interested, put the match on at 8.01. Or start following the Hungarian national side?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cant say Ive been less enthused about an England team.

Only Bellingham and Grealish give me any kind of hope for Qatar.

Said it before just imagine our back 3 against the pace of Rodrygo or Vin.Jnr? Or even Mbappe.

Gives me actual nightmares.

If you're going to be pragmatic and cautious you need to be rock solid. Its a disaster waiting to happen this.

Really hope Im wrong, I like Southgate and bits of our sqaud are up there as the best in the world. That back line though :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Cant say Ive been less enthused about an England team.

 

Roy Hodgson and Fabio Capello have got away with one here!

Looked totally disjointed last night and as if some of the players were heading back towards the days when they used to see playing for England as an unwanted chore and a distraction from their superior club set ups, which I thought was a culture Southgate had done well to turn around from WC2018 onwards.

I'm just thankful at the moment that this is all leading into a tournament I couldn't give a shit about this time round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Roy Hodgson and Fabio Capello have got away with one here!

Looked totally disjointed last night and as if some of the players were heading back towards the days when they used to see playing for England as an unwanted chore and a distraction from their superior club set ups, which I thought was a culture Southgate had done well to turn around from WC2018 onwards.

I'm just thankful at the moment that this is all leading into a tournament I couldn't give a shit about this time round.

Probably should have said Anti Climitic. 

Got all the potential in the world. Just that back line 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
8 hours ago, TM Trotter said:

This "virtue signalling" really has you rattled, doesn't it? 

If you're not interested, put the match on at 8.01. Or start following the Hungarian national side?

It wouldn't be a concern if they were producing the goods.

Couple of performances recently reminded me (as said above) of the days of disunity and club over country types. The cliques that wouldn't mix with each other.

Don't look together as a unit.

At least Hungary showed a modicum of quality here.

Obviously, it's only a tinpot tournament, but it's the same faces and they're playing as if they're becoming decreasingly familiar with each other. Not a great look whatever competition. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Marc505 said:

heading back towards the days when they used to see playing for England as an unwanted chore and a distraction from their superior club set ups, which I thought was a culture Southgate had done well to turn around from WC2018 onwards.

 

Also the same players know they are going to be picked regardless of form so feel they have no competition for places, this must affect motivation to keep high standards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

I think we seriously overrate our players. We do have some very good ones technically but I do think they come up short at the very highest level..... That said they are also hampered by poor management. Whilst Southgate is to be given credit for changing the culture amongst England  players his inability to compete tactically against his peers & to set up a team to play positively against anything other than poor opposition added to increasingly bizarre selections makes me think we will struggle to get out of a relatively easy group in Qatar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd have Kane, Foden and Walker in the world class bracket.

Grealish and Bellingham have the potential to be. Pickford should be playing for a top top club, hes been unbelievable for 18 months now.

The rest are a collection of very good players. 

We've been punching at the top for 4 years, we just need a man with a plan to follow it through and a decent centre half. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

still got our knickers in a twist over a glorified friendly i see?

judge us on the games that actually matter, tournament football

semi & final last 2

most successful side since 66

calm down ffs

the 'golden generation' couldnt get past a 1/4 final

great to see them still taking the knee also

Edited by L/H White
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

still got our knickers in a twist over a glorified friendly i see?

judge us on the games that actually matter, tournament football

semi & final last 2

most successful side since 66

calm down ffs

the 'golden generation' couldnt get past a 1/4 final

great to see them still taking the knee also

Will keep this handy for Qatar along with Cheese comments basically calling anyone who doubted Southgate utter morons a few months ago. Gone a bit quiet lately which is strange for him.

Yes great to see us still top of meaningless gestures league tho. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It wouldn't be a concern if they were producing the goods.

Couple of performances recently reminded me (as said above) of the days of disunity and club over country types. The cliques that wouldn't mix with each other.

Don't look together as a unit.

At least Hungary showed a modicum of quality here.

Obviously, it's only a tinpot tournament, but it's the same faces and they're playing as if they're becoming decreasingly familiar with each other. Not a great look whatever competition. 

You make a fair point. Tye side does have shades of the 00s 'golden generation' feeling of disunity to it.

And maybe, while the quality served up by a side the bookies have as one of the favourites for the WC continues to be so... fucking lethargic, it may draw attention to the 'off pitch' aspects. 

But then, I'm perhaps wet behind the ears compared to some and don't *really* correlate footballers using their prominent position as a force for good, to the abject misery of sitting through a Southgate tactical masterclass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Fans will forgive almost anything if the results are there.

As soon as they drop off, anything no football related that may be viewed as a distraction will come into play. I suppose a successful/in form player will be able to make more of a point.

Look at Rashford for example, I've always thought him decent, then he did all his school meals stuff (very laudable) and his form dropped. Whether the two were connected or coincidental, who knows, but for those paying their hard earned, their first desire is for the players to do the business on the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fans will forgive almost anything if the results are there.

As soon as they drop off, anything no football related that may be viewed as a distraction will come into play. I suppose a successful/in form player will be able to make more of a point.

Look at Rashford for example, I've always thought him decent, then he did all his school meals stuff (very laudable) and his form dropped. Whether the two were connected or coincidental, who knows, but for those paying their hard earned, their first desire is for the players to do the business on the pitch.

I think he was massively overrated before he started to save Britains kids. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Decent, but perhaps no world beater. 

Sterling has disappeared down the pan- reckon Pep saw it in plenty of time. 

The big problem for most is, had he been sold to Wolves or Everton or some other less fashionable team he wouldn’t be picked. First criteria certainly seems to be who you play for way before how you’re currently playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Decent, but perhaps no world beater. 

Sterling has disappeared down the pan- reckon Pep saw it in plenty of time. 

Some on here panned for doubting Sterling last season. Pep had already decided he wasn't good enough he didn't start city's biggest games last season. Infinitely better without him this season and got a great deal for him

Southgate meanwhile will be starting him in Qatar. And maguire and Shaw and at least 2 defensive mids  Shite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.