Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gillingham

little whitt

24 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Anyone got a spare East stand lower for this one?

Me + my daughter have season tickets in the ESL, but could do with another ticket for the Gillingham game.

There will be alot of spares for this i would suspect!

So Brockbank / Isgrove playing right back in a 4 until January, or change to wingbacks?

Theres always some weird third option though where someone random comes in and plays right back, or we pick up a free agent. Maybe Aimson can do it.

Brockbank is OK and may improve with game time but think he weakens the side a fair amount.

Isgrove can do a job but doubt his defensive capabilities.

16 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Shitter that is about Jones, IE should have options, however I don't think Isgrove or Brockbank as straight replacements are the way forward imo.

Either 3 at the back, or this Aimson lad comes in and Johnston plays at RB, or Baptiste plays.

Whatever system or whoever IE selects, its going to have to be for the next 10 games.

Johnston left footer at right back? 

Not sure Baptiste could handle running the flank for 90 mins either, probably not even 60 mins.

Think evatt has to either persist with Brockbank in a 4 or use Izzy as a wingback.

Johnston, Baptiste and Santos as 3 CentreBacks sounds good.

or Johnston Aimson and Santos.

Interesting at 1:30 he's talking about not changing what you do (i.e. tactics/style of play) on the back of a couple of bad results, as it shows a lack of belief in it.

Then right at the end he says that we have to find solutions to make up for Gethin being out - "if that means changing system, we will do." 

Clearly, he's considering a different formation. Whether he does it on Saturday against one of the lesser teams in the division is another matter.

Yep but then you’re eating up a squad space that could be better used come January when we can loan someone in or buy someone. 

Anyone who’s a free agent will probably take ages to get up to speed, fitness wise, and is probably shite so why bother when we’ve got cover or can change formation to adapt?

1 hour ago, Mantra said:

Yep but then you’re eating up a squad space that could be better used come January when we can loan someone in or buy someone. 

Anyone who’s a free agent will probably take ages to get up to speed, fitness wise, and is probably shite so why bother when we’ve got cover or can change formation to adapt?

Was thinking a short term deal until January. Fairly sure we’ve done that previously?

Seems plenty of free agents find it easy enough to do a bit of training with local teams etc so hopefully they wouldn’t be too far off the pace. Personally find it preferable to reverting to the wing back disasters of last season. 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was thinking a short term deal until January. Fairly sure we’ve done that previously?

Seems plenty of free agents find it easy enough to do a bit of training with local teams etc so hopefully they wouldn’t be too far off the pace. Personally find it preferable to reverting to the wing back disasters of last season. 

Yeh short term deal could work I suppose but can’t see it happening.

Wingbacks were a disaster last year but we were also playing with Crellin, Greenidge, Comley and Delfouneso in the 11 and it was only early days under Evatt.

I think in a higher division with the better players both for and against us it could be more effective.

Edited by Mantra

Continue with Brockbank, just don't play Baka in front of him. If Brockbank can't improve with a run of games, then what's the point of him being at the club? We can't just go out & get more players, there's a squad list isn't there? Not overly keen on changing the formation either, you're suddenly changing loads of positions then instead of 1

• Site Supporter

There are no free agents decent enough or fit enough to play competitive League 1 games. If they were, they wouldn't be a free agent. We go with what we've got, and if it isn't good enough, that's just life. Not terribly concerned, especially now Santos is available again. Every team in the division will have a poor run at some point. Let's hope ours ends on Saturday.

35 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Continue with Brockbank, just don't play Baka in front of him. If Brockbank can't improve with a run of games, then what's the point of him being at the club? We can't just go out & get more players, there's a squad list isn't there? Not overly keen on changing the formation either, you're suddenly changing loads of positions then instead of 1

Agree with that.  Baka plays in his correct position up front or not at all, barring injuries.  And as you say, if we had wing backs (please no), where does Dapo fit in?  

45 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

I agree with you there. But think Gethins absence has a bigger effect on the team than we’d like to admit, and so yes while making only one change on the surface seems better than a complete overhaul, if you play 3-5-2 or some might call it 5-3-2 you’re not actually changing that much, in my opinion. I think it would actually suit this group of players more. Would mean we could play Bakayoko up top with Doyle and have Dapo through the middle

Dixon

Santos       Baptiste       Johnston

isgrove                                              John

MJ.          Lee

Dapo

Doyle                    Bakayoko

Could even have Sarce in attacking midfield and Dapo up front with Doyle.

OR a 3-4-3 / 5-2-3 is probably even less of a change

same back line but with

MJ.                      Lee

Kachunga          Doyle.                Dapo

Edited by Mantra