Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gillingham

little whitt

Going back to Isgrove's ( & others ) crossing....we've got no aeriel threat which makes putting high crosses into the area with Doyle surrounded by 7ft defenders pointless, so it looks like we're deliberately crossing the ball low which will always result in most crosses being cut out & looking crap. IIRC our 2nd goal came from a low cross that got through.

4 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'll put it on record now. There's not a chance that Kachunga will end up being anything like the player Nathan Blake became for us. 

At this rate he won't be half the player Robbie Blake was for us either 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

😅🤣 no. He really didn't 

He also got stick for being lazy ... because he didn't chase lost causes. And usually they really were lost causes but that's not 'the Bolton way'.

A football is there to be kicked - kicked hard
An opponent is there to be kicked - kicked hard
Run hard, in various directions
If you've not spewed up, we're out of the Cup
Kick
Shit
Tackle
Kick
Another shit
And that's the Bolton way.

20 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We've had a nice run, but if folk think Ian Evatt is the new Rioch then we are sadly mistaken.

I don't trust the bloke. 

He's clearly a wanker, but for now he's our wanker and he's got plenty of credit in the bank with us yet

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

Better games? He threw a throw in to the opposition in an attacking position. Fell over with the ball when on the attack which led to them breaking. Made an defensive header for them when the ball was put in their box. Lost the ball playing sloppy passes so many times.

As soon as he gets the ball in a promising position he stops, turns and invites pressure. He then pumps the ball back 40 yards or loses it.  

You're right he was awful (although the throw in can happen to anyone, the wet ball slipped out of his hand, also when he fell over he slipped on the sodden turf).  But he had 2 efforts on target, that's better than normal (for any player, not just him).  Happy to be corrected if I've forgotten any games he was better in when he started.

• Site Supporter

All about opinions but I reckon we’re lucky to have IE. No idea if Sarce was a bad influence or not but if he was, then good on him for getting shut.

Is the great structure not down to Evatt putting it in place? Like Big Sam, surround yourself with top people.

11 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not really, do you really think he's a good manager? This Sarcs thing just compounds it for me.

I think we have a great structure, I don't think Evatt is a good manager.

I think he's got the potential to become a very good manager. 

Especially if he gets a few quid to spend and doesn't have to rely on freebies and loans. 

He performed a minor miracle last season and some of the football we play (when we play well) is up there with as good as any Bolton side I've seen. 

We've not really any idea what happened with the Sarce thing - but I'm guessing seen as Sharon sanctioned the move that she agreed with IE's take on things. 

I think we're lucky to have him.

25 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We've had a nice run, but if folk think Ian Evatt is the new Rioch then we are sadly mistaken.

I don't trust the bloke. 

Too early to tell.

Evatt was a brave appointment by FV. As a mentor of mine was fond of saying "If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got" and we've had no success in managers for over a decade really. So I congratulate them for trying something different. Promotion in his first season; a much better link between club and supporters; a different style of football; and yes, some mistakes.

If I recall correctly Rioch (pretty much my favourite manager and the person who put the foundations in place for our rise back to the Premier League) had a poor start in his first season, finished strong and consolidated the season after. If rumours were to be believed he fell out with certain players, was a hard ass who had to have things his way.

Apart from we have Evatt early in his career, sounds pretty similar to me.

I still think Evatt has all the tools to get to the top but he is still developing, I hope he takes us with him.

There's a lot I like about Evatt, get what he's trying to do in implementing an identity and style through from kids to first team, and I've enjoyed some of what I've seen from us at times last season and this as much as anything since Coyle's brief halcyon days.

He's learning still as a manager and will make a few ricks now and then, in team selection, how he conducts himself, what he says etc, but if he does learn, pretty fast, from some of these difficult recent experiences he'll be ok and so will we. 

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not really, do you really think he's a good manager? This Sarcs thing just compounds it for me.

I think we have a great structure, I don't think Evatt is a good manager.

If we had a WW back then, someone would have been saying the same thing after we went to Chester and drew 2-2 back in 1992. 2-0 down at half time and booed off by the travelling Bolton fans. (I was one of them. I didn’t boo though) 

Bruce (and Colin) were in the early days of building a team then and the rest is history.

41 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think he's got the potential to become a very good manager. 

Especially if he gets a few quid to spend and doesn't have to rely on freebies and loans. 

He performed a minor miracle last season and some of the football we play (when we play well) is up there with as good as any Bolton side I've seen. 

We've not really any idea what happened with the Sarce thing - but I'm guessing seen as Sharon sanctioned the move that she agreed with IE's take on things. 

I think we're lucky to have him.

Fair points, and I'm very happy to be proved utterly wrong.

I don't think he performed a minor miracle last season, but others disagree.

We have a paper thin squad, and I think we have a very inflexible manager, we should be doing better. Wouldn't surprise me if we parted company after this term.

As I say, others may disagree, and I really, really hope I'm wrong.

48 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

If we had a WW back then, someone would have been saying the same thing after we went to Chester and drew 2-2 back in 1992. 2-0 down at half time and booed off by the travelling Bolton fans. (I was one of them. I didn’t boo though) 

Bruce (and Colin) were in the early days of building a team then and the rest is history.

Hope you are right, I'm not sure you are though. There is no way Evatt is a new Rioch.