Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gillingham

little whitt

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Anything below the championship and all you need is a good quarter to fire you up the league, considering our luck with injuries at the moment I’d say we were about right. 
IE can see Gordon and Brockbank aren’t good enough to start so he changed what he needed to change.

FWIW Isgrove was almost a right winger yesterday. Needs to work on those deliveries from that position but again it’s just tweaks to be made.

We we’re all concerned about the mood in the camp after Friday but 2-0 to get a draw and almost a win shows that the camp is good and are willing to fight for the club and manager

It’ll be reet

Isgrove was getting a hard time by some he worked his bollocks off just his delivery let him down

Imagine jones having the amount of crosses isgrove had but that’s our luck with injuries atm 

• Members
2 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Isgrove was getting a hard time by some he worked his bollocks off just his delivery let him down

Imagine jones having the amount of crosses isgrove had but that’s our luck with injuries atm 

He had to work even harder with having Kachunga on his wing. We looked better when Dapo swapped

20 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Only issue I have with IE he needs to think before he speaks ffs telling all other teams we are the best team in league 1 no need for a team talk from opposing managers ! 

Like many have said, including himself, he is still learning and he does speak before he thinks at times. Other managers after we have played well have said we are by far the best side they have played to his defence.

We might not ever find out the whole truth about the Sarcevic saga and the performance first half yesterday looked like some players were not trying for some reason but the last 30 minutes getting a point proves that they are still together and had lost some confidence. All teams go through bad spells and hope that’s all the last two weeks have been.

Everyone should get behind the gaffer and given time he will continue to get us in the right direction. This season finishing around mid table would be ideal; anything better fantastic

10 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Like many have said, including himself, he is still learning and he does speak before he thinks at times. Other managers after we have played well have said we are by far the best side they have played to his defence.

We might not ever find out the whole truth about the Sarcevic saga and the performance first half yesterday looked like some players were not trying for some reason but the last 30 minutes getting a point proves that they are still together and had lost some confidence. All teams go through bad spells and hope that’s all the last two weeks have been.

Everyone should get behind the gaffer and given time he will continue to get us in the right direction. This season finishing around mid table would be ideal; anything better fantastic

Whilst we were huff and puff for long spells,  even when we were clearly devoid of confidence for that middle hour of the game, I don’t think it ever looked like players weren’t trying. Not at all for me 

8 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Whilst we were huff and puff for long spells,  even when we were clearly devoid of confidence for that middle hour of the game, I don’t think it ever looked like players weren’t trying. Not at all for me 

Agree, there was no lack of effort yesterday.

1 hour ago, Rizlar said:

Only issue I have with IE he needs to think before he speaks ffs telling all other teams we are the best team in league 1 no need for a team talk from opposing managers ! 

It's part of his whole spiel about having to believe you're the best before you can be the best.

Maybe does need to reel it in a bit. Last season was calling for promotion and saying we look like Real Madrid in training made everything seem worse when we were on our bad streak.

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d love to see Bako & Doyle as a 2 up top.  We’d have to go 3-5-2 but think that might work. If we ever get in a position to try it I’d like to see that formation. 

Yep totally agree - Doyle and Baka vs League 1 back fours would cause havoc. Dapo in the pocket. 

Jones/Isgrove and John putting crosses in.

People still opposed to the idea because of how shit it was last year should remember that we had Crellin, Greenidge, Comley etc still in the team.

Think this is about the 5th time I've said it though so I'll shut up. 

You can't blame anyone for questioning Evatt after recent performances. It has been diabolical at times.

But it's all about perspective and patience. He's done a brilliant job and I personally have faith he will get it right. I think the next couple of months will be scrappy and it's important we all stick by the team, regardless of what you think of Evatt. Use Wways to have a whine and keep it positive on the terrace.

It would be fucking ace to go up tis season, but I'd be worried about us with the squad and resources we have in the Championship. 

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d love to see Bako & Doyle as a 2 up top.  We’d have to go 3-5-2 but think that might work. If we ever get in a position to try it I’d like to see that formation. 

I was hoping for bako and Doyle at 2 nil down just to try something a bit different probably something we should consider 

3 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

You can't blame anyone for questioning Evatt after recent performances. It has been diabolical at times.

But it's all about perspective and patience. He's done a brilliant job and I personally have faith he will get it right. I think the next couple of months will be scrappy and it's important we all stick by the team, regardless of what you think of Evatt. Use Wways to have a whine and keep it positive on the terrace.

It would be fucking ace to go up tis season, but I'd be worried about us with the squad and resources we have in the Championship. 

Questioning Evatt in terms of selections comments to press and last week man management is fair enough.

However some of the deeper comments in terms of right man for the job and trusting are a million miles off my view.

From FV down there is a sprite of being in it together so rather than picking faults we pull together surely that is the club we all want ? The reaction of the crowd second half yesterday was one of the best bits of the day. Evatt mentioned it in the interview. It is not being a happy clapper it is about supporting the progress of the club and feeling like we have a role to place in our progress . 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Everyone has the right to an opinion & the right to have a moan when things aren't going well. What people take issue with though is people who can't wait to kick their team when they are down, who constantly criticise & abuse certain players no matter how well/badly they play & who start booing at the first opportunity. 

Forums like these are made for people to express any opinion they wish but people shouldn't get the hump when others jump on them when they are constantly negative no matter how we are doing. 

You questioned my having a pop at Woolli yesterday but his statement about Isgrove warranted it as it was just ridiculous. I didn't agree with very much that he said but respected his opinion but bollocks like that is uncalled for. 

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Fat Steve Evans reckons they should have been 0-8 up after 70 minutes, although I don't agree with him with him, they should have been 4 up.

Saying that we missed a guilt edged chance in the first 2 minutes, Doyle I think.... could have been a different game if that had gone in early, football its a game full of clichés

Definitely 3/4 game should’ve been over

Just sour grapes by fat pat Evans 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Fat Steve Evans reckons they should have been 0-8 up after 70 minutes, although I don't agree with him with him, they should have been 4 up.

Saying that we missed a guilt edged chance in the first 2 minutes, Doyle I think.... could have been a different game if that had gone in early, football its a game full of clichés

It was a strange game for sure. Yes they should have been at least 4 up after an hour.

Tough luck though. Considering it was only 2, we could have gone on and won it ourselves.

I can’t get over how quickly it went from shocking to dominating. We didn’t grow into it at all, we just suddenly clicked and took over

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

He had to work even harder with having Kachunga on his wing. We looked better when Dapo swapped

We definitely looked better when Dapo went into the 10 role. Takes us back to our pre-match debate. I’m just as convinced post game that Sheehan isn’t a 10 player and he doesn’t do the job Sarcevic did.

With work on the training ground and an improvement in form from Sheehan, I still  think MJ, Lee and Sheehan can play together but we’d have to adopt a tweak in formation to play to Sheehan’s strengths which are completely different to what Sarce offered. 

Edited by desperado

16 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

the fans were fabulous yesterday 2nd half and for me that's what made it more pleasurable, even though i was outside on 85mins after telling a couple of youth sat next to me "we're gonna do this, were gonna get a result here".   You could feel it with the crowd

I was watching on iFollow and have to agree the hardcore on yesterday were fantastic 12th man second half in our of need you stepped up to the plate. Proper fans. 👏👏👏

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, desperado said:

We definitely looked better when Dapo went into the 10 role. Takes us back to our pre-match debate. I’m just as convinced post game that Sheehan isn’t a 10 player and he doesn’t do the job Sarcevic did.

With work on the training ground and an improvement in form from Sheehan, I still  think MJ, Lee and Sheehan can play together but we’d have to adopt a tweak in formation to play to Sheehan’s strengths which are completely different to what Sarce offered. 

Sheehan is a, very good player technically but he needs to grab hold of games & demand the ball. I think he may be coming to terms with not being the big fish in a smaller pond. 

He's too talented a player not to be a success in an IE team eventually imo, just needs a bit of confidence & maybe a tweak to our set up. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

Absolutely. 

Confidence, goals etc all give players a boost.

When things aren't going so well, the opposite happens.

What was pleasing yesterday was how we worked up a head of steam for the last half hour or so, and maintained it.

Ran Gillingham ragged at the death, and that's difficult to do when you've been 2 down.

Full credit to them.

5 hours ago, Ani said:

Was Evatt an improvement on Hill ? 
Did we bring in decent players at start of last season ? 
Has Evatt tried to play good football ? 
Did we improve last Jan transfer window? 
Did we strengthen in summer ? 

For me all 5 are big positives, we are work in progress, Evatt himself is learning, but we are 100% heading in the right direction. Owners are great and increasing connection with fans. Evatt's interview after game yesterday recognised that the fans stuck with the team and him and that helped.

It is hard to remember how far the club had fallen and the journey will be tougher and longer than some might like, look at Sunderland 30k for home games, never dropped as far as us but struggling to get out of this division. Instead of breaking our progress down to last 2-3 week look at 6 month gaps and we are moving very much in right direction.

I back Evatt 100% to get it right in the longer run. I am equally sure that FV will back him and enable us to continue to progress. He will make mistakes and hopefully learn not to talk shit in interviews. At some point we may hit a level that he can not take us past but we are not there yet. 
Still do not think we have paid a transfer fee for a player, certainly not paying too wages in the division. The club seems to be in a good place and going in right direction get onboard and enjoy the journey it is miles better than last few years. 

All of this for me.  Read an interesting article this morning (Mail Online via FB) about Plymouth's ownership, progress, extent of ambitions, quite a few parallels arguably, they're just a bit further forward in their journey than us. 

Its all boom and bust, agony and extasy far too much at every club these days, little room for measured, reasoned views (why I much prefer this forum than FB or Twitter), looking at it in blocks, maybe window to window, bit more my cup of tea. One block, from end of Jan to end of April, was enough to make a big difference last season

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

As Bolton fans we knew exactly what IE meant when he said we were the best footballing team in the league. We had between 60 & 75% possession in almost all our games against some good clubs.
Cambridge (lost 1-0 despite 74% possession

Burton (drew 0-0 - 75%)

Rotherham (lost 2-0 - 71%)

Sunderland (lost 1-0 - 56%)

Sheffield W (lost 1-0 - 61%)

Wigan (lost 4-0 - 60%)

Plymouth (lost 3-0 - 60%)

Gillingham (drew 2-2 - 76%)

Just look at those possession stats. We are the best footballing team in the division. If we can’t use the possession to our advantage, what’s the point?

Evert’s comments were made in this context. That hasn’t stopped other teams taking it all out of context though.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Can always make such analysis. But if you look at both sides, sheehan I think it was dragged one wide, and dapo fired one from distance not far wide too.

All ifs of course, but we could have been 2 up before they got a sniff. If Santos and mj hadn't fucked about with it they wouldn't have been given an easy goal, and we might have won they game at a canter.

Goals do change games though, and had they put all their chances away then they'd have cruised it, so long as we didn't put all ours away.

In short Evans is ballooning. In fairness Evatt has bemoaned us not always finishing our chances, when we've lost despite playing well.

If either side did it regularly, we'd be at the top.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, MickyD said:

As Bolton fans we knew exactly what IE meant when he said we were the best footballing team in the league. We had between 60 & 75% possession in almost all our games against some good clubs.
Cambridge (lost 1-0 despite 74% possession

Burton (drew 0-0 - 75%)

Rotherham (lost 2-0 - 71%)

Sunderland (lost 1-0 - 56%)

Sheffield W (lost 1-0 - 61%)

Wigan (lost 4-0 - 60%)

Plymouth (lost 3-0 - 60%)

Gillingham (drew 2-2 - 76%)

Just look at those possession stats. We are the best footballing team in the division. If we can’t use the possession to our advantage, what’s the point?

Evert’s comments were made in this context. That hasn’t stopped other teams taking it all out of context though.

Context or not, other players, fans and managers can use such comments to their advantage. 

The Wigan manager talked about mind games. Not sure if they were intended as such by Evatt (I doubt it) but LR made it seem that they were; motivation for his team.