Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gillingham

little whitt

1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

Yep. I was there that day as well. Lots of criticism of Ian Greaves tactics that day but that’s football. You play to your strengths. Sam learned a lot from his mentor and we had the the best years as fans to enjoy as a result.

Didn’t go that day but did the 3-0 defeat at anfield year before which wasn’t a bad effort because Liverpool were brilliant team in that era. 

One of the things that winds me up about Doyle at the moment is his inability to make any cross look like a chance.

He is not the type of player that will ever look amazing by beating a man and dribbling, he hasn’t got the pace to play off the shoulder and he’s not big enough to be great with his hold up play (although he’s not too bad at it to be fair). He is however in the team to be in the box and on the end of crosses / finding pockets of space to get a quick shot away and at the moment he is completely failing at it.

Our crosses were poor in general yesterday and there were plenty where he didn’t have a chance to do anything with them when they’re stood up and come down with snow on them into the keepers’ hands. There were a few though that were drilled low into good areas, which had he made a good near post run, or anticipated better, he could have got on the end of them and put the chance away. Instead, he was nowhere near any of them and therefore made them look like yet more poor crosses which was a bit unfair.

Doyle is limited, he’s a goalscorer, a poacher but offers little else. He weakens our ability to attack quickly, directly or with any threat of getting in behind but when he’s scoring goals and getting on the end of chances, mainly coming from the wide positions, he can make up for it by putting the ball in the net. When he’s not doing that, which is very obvious at the moment, he’s a passenger and puts compete emphasis on others (mainly Dapo) to do something brilliant for us to score.

We don’t have many other options at the moment, so I hope for everyone’s sake he can get a goal soon and find some confidence to help him get in the right places, but for me it’s no.1 position to be upgraded in Jan, which should make it easier for us to cross a ball to a viable target in the middle.

12 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Yep. I was there that day as well. Lots of criticism of Ian Greaves tactics that day but that’s football. You play to your strengths. Sam learned a lot from his mentor and we had the the best years as fans to enjoy as a result.

I was on the kop that night -scousers were not happy

Edited by bwfc2003

1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not as relaxed as some about our ability to score goals. There seems to be a correlation between us dominatimg possession and failing to score.

Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation but the impression I grt is that the players we have currently aren't good enough to allow the better opposition to drop off and try to drag them out of shape.

There's no disgrace in that considering where we've come from, but I do think it poses a problem we need to find an answer to.

This is spot on.

Week in week out the stats show we do not create 'many' clear cut chances at all, that's why we can all remember the Doyle misses as generally they're the only one the whole match.

As others have said previously, rarely do the opposition goalkeepers have many saves to make when playing against us, yet this isn't a narrative Evatt would want so reiterates the few chances we do make.

I know I keep harping on about 15 matches without a goal for our striker, 14 Doyle, and 1 Baka,  I find that an astounding statistic for a team that plays so much football; not enough of it is in the final third I would suggest and this is what most opposition know. We will never progress until this situation is rectified, but I am not sure Evatt even acknowledges there is an issue and that's what worries me.

Some strikers in this league already 10+ goals, if it wasn't for Dapo's long range efforts we really would be struggling.

I agree with Rudy on the defensive side, but doenst appear we have got the defense or attack right as yet. And can someone teach Santos to stop ball watching and prevent strikers just running across him, is it really that hard?

Just now, BobyBrno said:

We were in the paddock behind the managers benches in the Liverpool section. Fortunately, we didn’t score. 😊

You’re right, they weren’t happy. 

They would have been raging if Gowling had scored that chance in last minute

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

am not sure Evatt even acknowledges there is an issue and that's what worries me.

Well he’s not openly going to admit anything to you/us the fans is he?

However if you read between the lines he’s talked about the frustration of not scoring the first goal. 9/11 last games we haven’t got the first goal. And then we all know what happens when we concede first, sides defend even more and there is even less space to create these chances from open play you talk about.

I’d suggest he’s well aware of what the issues are. I think he works tirelessly on the training field and with the analysts to try and address this with the personnel he has got at his disposal. I think he’ll also be working with the scouts and recruitment team in identifying these weaknesses and seeing who we can bring in in January.

And with Sarce and with Jones’ injury all within a shocking 2 weeks of results IE has had a really testing time.

But those last 3 paragraphs would suggest we are in a terrible place, we’re not! 5 at Ipswich, 4 at Charlton and those 2 goals yesterday (great football, open play?!) should be enough to tell you this team has goals in it. 

I agree with what @Rudy said, there were bigger issues at play defensively yesterday that need sorting first. Yesterday wasn’t the first time a team tired on 70 mins chasing the ball around and it won’t be the last. This team can score goals up to the final minute. Keep a clean sheet and wins will flow again. Even if it’s a series of 1-0’s with no open play goals and Doyle still striking blanks. I wouldn’t give a shit.

• Members

I think IE will see the way we start, high tempo L, fast interchange might not be the best tactic, it leaves us so open to the counter, Gillingham did it time and time again, I think we need to grow into games. 

Almost Homer Simpson them when he was a boxer let them chase shadows and be fitter than them. 

3 hours ago, Rudy said:

We created 22 chances yesterday 

9 shots on target.

22 aerial battles they won to our 15

10 Gillingham interceptions to our 3

85 duels yesterday

we won 40, Gillingham won 45

Thats the problem. One on one battles, second balls.

Look at the goals we conceded, not clearing our lines and not winning the second balls. 

The problem isn’t the creativity, I keep saying this, we can score goals but clean sheets are what’s hurting us. 

Make yourself hard to beat, rule no.1

All tweaks that can and IE will make.
There’s a reason BWFC have recruited an analyst. 

Those stats look decent going forwards in the end but with about 15 mins left we’d had 2/3 on target IIRC. When you’re 2 down that’s not gonna help.

the step up in pace/urgency certainly changed that, but there’s a few reasons why we went, what was it 350+ mins without scoring recently - now there’s a damaging and crucial stat

That said, I’m sure we’ll improve 

Edited by jules_darby

• Members
Just now, jules_darby said:

Those stats look decent going forwards in the end but with about 15 mins left we’d had 2/3 on target IIRC. When you’re 2 down that’s not gonna help.

the step up in pace/urgency certainly changed that.

I have more stats about their running but can’t be arsed to break them down but it looks like in the last 16 minutes Gillingham were knackered and we overran them. 

I think teams know that they need to get ahead early with us because our fitness levels are very high

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bwfc2003 said:

I was on the kop that night -scousers were not happy

Went with my dad & a couple of his friends & we got jumped outside the ground after the match, I've hated the so called jovial, most knowledgeable fans in the world every since. Get a scouser on his own & he's usually sound lah, once with the pack they're usually shithouse bullies. 

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

350+ mins without scoring recently - now there’s a damaging and crucial stat

I’m not downplaying that and it’s clearly something that needed sorting, hopefully those 2 goals yesterday will act as an impetus for more.

But no other side in league one has conceded more goals than us this season! That surely has to be priority number one. Not helped recently with injuries and suspensions and we’re still having to experiment with the right back position and best centre back partnership, so it’s not likely to be a quick fix. 

Maybe if those forward players help us out with the first goal it would relieve some of the pressure off us at the back.

I think IE is well aware of this and is the man to sort it.

Seeing the fight back, the passion from the players/fans and being behind Evatt will be another crucial aspect to us turning the tide.

Edited by desperado

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Another poor result. There should be no need of a valiant  late rally for a point at home to Gillingham, it should be a comfortable home win.

Now I’ve stopped laughing at the irony of your post today, I’ll give you a contextual answer you probably won’t understand. 

Well if you’d bother to read the thread properly and analyse both the game and our current situation better you’d get all the answers why yesterday wasn’t comfortable and why we are generally quite happy about the comeback. 

It feels good following a side that shows some passion, some grit, some belief. A pride in our local team. To celebrate with your fellow townsmen, to have a club that’s risen from the dead, to share it with your friends and family who have the tradition passed on to them to love their town team and no one else. To go to the pub, into school, college and share the love of our club and plan our next away outing. 

It’s a shame you’ll never get that. 

43 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I remember having my parka hood up all game they were notorious for chucking darts at away fans, snidey bastard they were. 

The 3-0 game when Jimmy Case scored a hat trick was brutal outside. One of the few teams went on Travel Club, all scarves removed before we arrived to avoid windows going through and the snidey bastards picking of fans in small groups. Everywhere was pretty rough back then but Liverpool was horrible. 

15 minutes ago, Ani said:

The 3-0 game when Jimmy Case scored a hat trick was brutal outside. One of the few teams went on Travel Club, all scarves removed before we arrived to avoid windows going through and the snidey bastards picking of fans in small groups. Everywhere was pretty rough back then but Liverpool was horrible. 

I must of gone on the Travel club coaches, for dodgy games as a young un used to take the safer option. Dodgy back then was on another level to today. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

17 minutes ago, Ani said:

yeh, wrote about that day a few times on here. Horrible day - back at the coach I remember a lass who turned out to be a nurse turning up fuming as her fella had been clobbered, only to then have to triage a stream of fans of all ages turning up with bloody noses etc. Nothing to do with a desire to "fight" just to "maim" for maiming's sake.