Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gillingham


little whitt
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fine first ten minutes. 

Good again after Baka came on. 

Isgrove great going forward, difficult sometimes in the first half for him. Worked his bollocks off. 

Lee immense second half. For a senior player he puts the yards in- reminds me of Speed in many ways.

John looked fitter. 

Thought Dapo did pretty well in that central position.

Aimson was excellent, stronger than Johnston and good in the air.

Fitness levels again showed, they were buggered at the end.

Early on their manager was urging them to press, but we had them struggling. Then our customary gift.

Then we struggled to match the physicality of some of their lads, and number 15 was a rock. Brought trouble on ourselves by overpaying at times, and they were boosted by their goals and we were rocking. 

Kachunga is the new Farrelli, shits out and doesn't want to get his shirt dirty.

Personally, I'd have hooked him and left sheehan on.

All in all, they kept going, showed togetherness, and we might have won it at the death had Baka been on his toes to Doyle's knock down.

Finally, achievement of the day: MJ with the miss of the season.

The the positives and onto the next game.

 

Very much this.

They had a couple of chances to make it 3, the double save from Dixon changed the game.

I thought Johnston made a couple of good blocks but 1st half for 35 mins was very poor.

Wouldnt really have jumped for joy at a draw pre match but very pleased with the last 30 mins.

Dapo was excellent playing through the middle. Food for thought

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep the team that finished today to start next week and for me No10 is where Dapo should be, he affects the play so much better there than out wide and with Amaechi nearly ready, bin Kachunga, just doesn’t do it I’m afraid. What a comeback though, we’ll done Whites and IE for not buckling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, royal white said:

People saying Isgrove was brilliant? I’m sure I watched him waste 10 crosses, was I watching the same person? 

Compared to Brockbank he was to be fair.

Did waste some crosses but worked extremely hard and was a useful outlet on the right wing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, royal white said:

People saying Isgrove was brilliant? I’m sure I watched him waste 10 crosses, was I watching the same person? 

Exactly, already mentioned this, his final ball was shocking considering the space he had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Draw incoming

Did you back it?

21 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Kieran Lee absolute star. 
Class above the rest.

 

Isgrove did his best at right back. 
 

Still not convinced we have much to attack these crosses in from wide.

 

I was wondering if he might stick Baka more central with Doyle, and remove Kachunga. Crosses aplenty coming in, especially from the right, causing problems.

Confidence is a major factor in all this, and we were low first half, and they were on top of our lads. 

An excellent response though.

I don't think it was right to play Isgrove at right back, especially with Kachunga in front, but once we got on the front foot, he was playing as a winger anyhow, and was very good.

Still think we could play some of the crosses in earlier, with the attackers bearing down on their goal- they defended pretty well to our slower build up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Compared to Brockbank he was to be fair.

Did waste some crosses but worked extremely hard and was a useful outlet on the right wing

If I was Gillingham's manager, I'd have said let him (Isgrove) have the ball wide, he will do fuck all with it, and he didn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

What about the other 8? I’ll not include Santos. 

Santos had a ban game today fella, but it wasn't for a lack of commitment or effort, he just had a bad game. Perhaps the captaincy weighed a bit heavy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

If I was Gillingham's manager, I'd have said let him (Isgrove) have the ball wide, he will do fuck all with it, and he didn't. 

He didn't get the quality on his crosses that we needed but he linked up really well with Baka and Lee I thought. He's not top end of League One level, have to accept that.

Wasn't our best performer today but not our worst by any stretch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fine first ten minutes. 

Good again after Baka came on. 

Isgrove great going forward, difficult sometimes in the first half for him. Worked his bollocks off. 

Lee immense second half. For a senior player he puts the yards in- reminds me of Speed in many ways.

John looked fitter. 

Thought Dapo did pretty well in that central position.

Aimson was excellent, stronger than Johnston and good in the air.

Fitness levels again showed, they were buggered at the end.

Early on their manager was urging them to press, but we had them struggling. Then our customary gift.

Then we struggled to match the physicality of some of their lads, and number 15 was a rock. Brought trouble on ourselves by overpaying at times, and they were boosted by their goals and we were rocking. 

Kachunga is the new Farrelli, shits out and doesn't want to get his shirt dirty.

Personally, I'd have hooked him and left sheehan on.

All in all, they kept going, showed togetherness, and we might have won it at the death had Baka been on his toes to Doyle's knock down.

Finally, achievement of the day: MJ with the miss of the season.

The the positives and onto the next game.

 

Great and very truthful assessment!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

Santos had a ban game today fella, but it wasn't for a lack of commitment or effort, he just had a bad game. Perhaps the captaincy weighed a bit heavy.

I didn’t include Santos in the weak as piss all over pitch commented, granted he was below par. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

If I was Gillingham's manager, I'd have said let him (Isgrove) have the ball wide, he will do fuck all with it, and he didn't. 

If your full back is putting in most of your crosses, then the opposition will typically be set defensively. Makes it difficult to pick anyone out.

Of course he could do better with some of them, but that's why I think Baka in the middle and crosses earlier might have helped.

Isgrove's willingness to push on spread their defence, and it opened up more. Dapo got his goal and was a threat in the middle because we had started to stretch them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

Baka coming on was the turning point for me. They couldn’t push forward as much because he’d have had the pace to get in behind. They really dropped back - but maybe they were happy with what they had

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If your full back is putting in most of your crosses, then the opposition will typically be set defensively. Makes it difficult to pick anyone out.

Of course he could do better with some of them, but that's why I think Baka in the middle and crosses earlier might have helped.

Isgrove's willingness to push on spread their defence, and it opened up more. Dapo got his goal and was a threat in the middle because we had started to stretch them.

You generally give a decent assessment of the game, we were on that side today were Isgrove found himself in acres without delivering one ball of any significance, I get he has got in them positions due to the opposition getting deeper, he was shocking, same goes for Kachunga on the other side.

I'm happy with Dapo being more central, it suits his game, unfortunately it leaves us with no width.

Edited by Mr Grey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I didn’t include Santos in the weak as piss all over pitch commented, granted he was below par. 

Yeah, was generally agreeing with you, although not 8 of them, maybe 2 or 3 and others have a below par game, which in all honesty has been the case for the last 4 games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Isgrove gave it his all just his final ball was shocking but fair play on effort unlike that fucker kachunga 

I don’t get him. He’s not a winger not a striker, offers absolutely nothing. And I’m never one for singling out a player but fuck me he was abysmal today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Isgrove gave it his all just his final ball was shocking but fair play on effort unlike that fucker kachunga 

Agreed. Cannot fault his effort, both defensively and offensively, but final ball sometimes woeful! Kachunga needs to be shifted out! Hes had enough chances to perform now, cannot see what Evatt was chasing him for?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kachunga for Bakayoko was an obvious sub from 15mins in. Kachunga is proper shit.

 

My daughter has started coming with me (she's 10) and for 88 minutes she was moaning about how boring it was and if we could leave early, but then walking out at full time after that last 5-6 minutes she turned and asked 'when is the next game'. Another one hooked for life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought Isgrove put in a couple of decent balls but we didn’t have anyone attacking them (and haven’t all season tbf). Still concerned that he is vulnerable defensively against a better side, but even by his standards he worked his nads off second half.

Bloody good job their number 19 passed up on a hat trick early in the second half or we might have been four or five down before the hour. How he missed that one when he went round Dixon was beyond me.

Last half hour a massive improvement and will hopefully provide a much needed confidence boost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Casino unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.