Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe - Friday Night

Super Bock

Tequila was class second half. Constant pressure and a nice assist. Some decent passes and hold up play too.

Looks like he's getting more match fit. Maybe Crewe being shit made him look better but fair play to him. Good for his confidence and Baka too getting a goal.

Amaechi had a nice little cameo. Not long enough to do anything but looked hungry for it.

Strange , kinda, that we all watch the same match and see it so differently. 
Thought we battered Crewe for 60 minutes then retracted like we were one nil up with promotion on the line. 
Thats the first time in about 3 years that Ive seen us run out of steam with 30-25 mins to go , we looked goosed . 

Izzy was mom but was dust after 65 and should have been subbed , Aimson is Mr solid , Dapo had an off day but by his standards was still good . Kachunga is starting to show how good he can be . John played well and its great to see him getting back to his best .

I still think Dixon is the most improved player of the season but by fuck we play ourselves into trouble far too often .

its also strange to read some people calling for 3 at the back when it was only when we abandoned that system that we went on a promotion run last season . 

Just got back Isgrove mom seems to be growing into the full back role

Dixons distribution tonight was excellent and a couple of good saves

Santos  back to being a brick wall

Kanchunga good 2nd half

Dapo had one of his quieter games 

Mj,Lee and sheehan played together better as the game went on 

John very steady 

Aimson very calm on the ball could see a partnership with santos developing 

Baka didn't stop running with not much reward until his goal but still needs to improve on his game

Overall 6/10 good in spells against a very poor crewe

Just seen this on a crewe forum .....anyone heard anything ? 

Watched on ifollow tonight. Disappointing after midweek. Why try 523 on Tuesday, and revert to 532 on Friday? Didn't really lay a glove on Bolton until we were two goals down, and even then, the only chances we got were from Bolton getting a bit complacent, rather than any attacking prowess on our part. Our LH side was shocking. MacFadzean cannot defend. In the second half alone, I counted double figure number of times that he lost his man, allowing him the freedom to pick his pass and create the second goal. Felt sorry for Offord. One of our more consistent performers, and doesn't really deserve the ignominy of his mistake. Must win game now next Saturday. Anyone know what went on in the tunnel after the game? BBC RS reported what looked like a fight. DA smashing the ref in the face?

6 minutes ago, waddy256 said:

Just seen this on a crewe forum .....anyone heard anything ? 

Watched on ifollow tonight. Disappointing after midweek. Why try 523 on Tuesday, and revert to 532 on Friday? Didn't really lay a glove on Bolton until we were two goals down, and even then, the only chances we got were from Bolton getting a bit complacent, rather than any attacking prowess on our part. Our LH side was shocking. MacFadzean cannot defend. In the second half alone, I counted double figure number of times that he lost his man, allowing him the freedom to pick his pass and create the second goal. Felt sorry for Offord. One of our more consistent performers, and doesn't really deserve the ignominy of his mistake. Must win game now next Saturday. Anyone know what went on in the tunnel after the game? BBC RS reported what looked like a fight. DA smashing the ref in the face?

Something definitely went off in their tunnel after the game ref was blowing his whistle and loads of shouting 

3 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Scumbag crewe fans shouting during the minutes silence 

I thought it was Bolton fans on the ESL concourse being a bit rowdy during a very short part of the minutes silence, probably having a bevvy & unaware the tribute had started.

25 minutes ago, L/H White said:

Crewe are the worst side I've ever seen at the Reebok

Really? I’ve seen far,far worse than Crewe, they worked their balls off in the first half and but for a couple of good saves by Dixon and them hitting the woodwork, the result could have been very different.

Anyone have a good view of the foul that lead to our penalty?

It didn’t look like a pen to me, but i was sat a fair distance away.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Best I’ve seen Kachunga play. Was brilliant. Isgrove MOM

2nd goal was like watching Brazil

I agree. Kachunga was decent tonight. 

Still shit out once or twice but was decent. Fuck knows why he got booked, and after being fouled a couple of times and not getting free kicks, I feared he might get his marching orders for the slightest thing. 

Although first half was a bit shit, we still could have had a couple.

Was some disconnect between how Baka was looking to play and how those behind him were. 

He looks to play on the shoulder, and in fairness some decent early crosses.

Once or twice he was on his heels though, and doesn't look like a Johnny on the spot striker, however he was alive to the first and earned the pen. Then in the right place to get the second.

Both full backs looking good, Dapo a bit quiet- as if he was struggling to really get going.

Sheehan took a while to get into it, and seemed too deep at times.

Confidence was clearly a bit down, but a thoroughly deserved win in the end.

Better pressing second half, played higher up the pitch, at a higher tempo and blew Crewe away.

They were bobbins, came for a point, and got what they deserved.

Shit weather again, as seems customary. Decent win, clean sheet and hopefully a shot of confidence.

Crewe loons, one managing to get lobbed out 5 or 10 mins before kick off.

Youth loons giving it the big one outside the away end again, but in greater numbers than normal.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Saw Santos go running down amd appear to be pulling someone back. 

One our coaches came back out and was signalling to someone there had been a fight.  

Aye. Saw that, wondered what was happening. 

Ref blew his whistle and stood watching with his linos. Something was going off.

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I thought it was Bolton fans on the ESL concourse being a bit rowdy during a very short part of the minutes silence, probably having a bevvy & unaware the tribute had started.

Nah pal esl showed respect you could hear a pin drop

It was a few late comers from crewe don't think they were aware of it so I don't think any malice was meant 

A struggle in the 1st half with Crewe just putting men behind the ball with Kachunga & Baka ineffective.

2nd half we started much brighter, got the 2 goals & Baka & especially Kachunga played much better. After that the game opened up, Crewe improved without looking that dangerous & we had chances for more......2-0 was about right.

Isgrove MOTM, our best player going forward & defended quite well when he had to.....gave everything & looked shattered at the end.

12 minutes ago, Matt Lofthouse said:

Toss first half, decent 2nd in tough conditions. Looked like a team of kids Crewe and small ones at that. 

Agree with all that first half was poor I thought they had sent there youth team out to play against us there obviously struggling financially but they gave it a go and hit they inside of the post last sihot of the game .

It was the right team at the right time for us 

1 minute ago, bolton va va said:

Aye, from the NSL, a definite penalty IMO, he was holding Baka down.

Should have been a red card as well for denying a goal scoring opportunity without attempting to play the ball (based on ours at Accrington the other year which I now use as the line in the sand for such offences)

Routine win, or at least what I will hope will become routine. I’m sure the players will grow in confidence as a result, and DJ’s little flick late on might be an indication of that.

I thought Bakayoko was pretty poor first half, but can’t grumble with scoring one and earning a penalty. Hopefully his confidence will grow, and Kachunga’s assist was finally a sign of what he could be capable of.