Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe - Friday Night

Super Bock

25 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Saw Santos go running down amd appear to be pulling someone back. 

One our coaches came back out and was signalling to someone there had been a fight.  

Might not have happened if they were all members😂😂😂😂

18 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I thought it was Bolton fans on the ESL concourse being a bit rowdy during a very short part of the minutes silence, probably having a bevvy & unaware the tribute had started.

Really? I’ve seen far,far worse than Crewe, they worked their balls off in the first half and but for a couple of good saves by Dixon and them hitting the woodwork, the result could have been very different.

Anyone have a good view of the foul that lead to our penalty?

It didn’t look like a pen to me, but i was sat a fair distance away.

I was in the WSL and the noise I heard definitely came from the Crewe end. Don't think it had anything to do with disrespecting the silence. More to do with some dick not knowing what was going on when he was making his way up to the seats.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Scumbag crewe fans shouting during the minutes silence 

23 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I thought it was Bolton fans on the ESL concourse being a bit rowdy during a very short part of the minutes silence, probably having a bevvy & unaware the tribute had started.

Really? I’ve seen far,far worse than Crewe, they worked their balls off in the first half and but for a couple of good saves by Dixon and them hitting the woodwork, the result could have been very different.

Anyone have a good view of the foul that lead to our penalty?

It didn’t look like a pen to me, but i was sat a fair distance away.

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

I was in the WSL and the noise I heard definitely came from the Crewe end. Don't think it had anything to do with disrespecting the silence. More to do with some dick not knowing what was going on when he was making his way up to the seats.

Correct, Crewe fan unaware from under stand but in any case, let those without sin cast the first stone. Hull away wasn’t that long ago.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Strange that they were frisking people outside turnstiles, anybody any idea why?

So nobody got in with a smoke bomb and throw it onto the pitch…

Frisking course for stewards required.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I’m beginning to think there’s a player in Katchunga somewhere.

Quite tidy on the ball and he puts a shift in,he just needs a league goal or two and it would do wonders for his confidence, then who knows? - he doesn’t relish a tackle though and seems to bottle the meaty challenges.

I think we look weak in the tackle across the board .  You/we expect the "flair"/forward  players to try to knick the ball away in a tackle but weve always had somebody to really put a foot in , in the past .... Nolan, Speed , McCann, Pollock, Patterson, Darby, Macateer, Thomson, Thomson et al plus a hard back 4 that Bolton have always been famous for not just the famous "gravel rash" brigade or the "when youve finished with your winger , chip im over to me" ...but can you imagine Bergsson, Taggart, Fairclough, Fish, Laville, NGotty , The Jedi et al being pushed off the ball .

What dya mean i live in the past ?

• Site Supporter

An observation from last night, the Crewe supporters seemed to be all male teenagers. As we walked across the hotel car park the esl mob with their battle cry, White Army were matching towards the away end. 

All I can say is it's a good job the club introduced the membership scheme so they can farm the data it supplies.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Another tough game where we will need Dapo to create or score

One of the most significant parts for me last night was that’s the first time we have won a league game this season without Dapo playing a major part in the victory. The others stepping up and contributing is just what we needed to continue this turn in form.

9 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Gritty 2-0, just what we needed, plenty of effort and played our passing game, Kachunga looked good 2nd half, MJ was all over the pitch, Sheehan had a terrific last 20, Ameachi lad put in a great cameo, Lee MotM, he oozes class and quality, let's hope its the start of a decent run.

UTW

Completely agree.

Isgrove too was tremendous. I think against lower opposition he shines in the FB role, he has enough to keep the left forward quiet and creates so much going forward. Jury still out when we face better opposition.

And you have to add Aimson to that list. He had everything last night, calm, composed, brilliant distribution, won everything in the air and a clean sheet for the back 4. I think IE will stick with that back 4 until Jones is back 

• Site Supporter

Very important win last night, Crewe are poor but still needed putting away - and these beat us 3 times last season.

Last couple of games Sheehan has played, he seems much more influential later on when pockets of space start to appear.

Looking forward to seeing more of Amaechi, looks like he has something about him. Hope he gets up to speed quickly - more game time on Sunday and at Stockport hopefully.

If we keep Baka fit, I’m sure we can hit teams for pace. For Baka to be effective, we have to get him turned and running at the opposition. Totally different striker to Doyle, there’s a roll for both though.

Aimson really starting to impress me too, looks solid. EIEIEIO

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

An observation from last night, the Crewe supporters seemed to be all male teenagers. As we walked across the hotel car park the esl mob with their battle cry, White Army were matching towards the away end. 

All I can say is it's a good job the club introduced the membership scheme so they can farm the data it supplies.

Hope Neil didn’t see this 

9 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Saw Santos go running down amd appear to be pulling someone back. 

One our coaches came back out and was signalling to someone there had been a fight.  

As the tunnels are separated that means an in-house ruckus. I assume, if Santos went in, that'll be our lot.

Stuff happens after a game, words get said and exception is taken. But it's not quite the image of 'tremendous team spirit' we hear about.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Dr. Feelgood said:

As the tunnels are separated that means an in-house ruckus. I assume, if Santos went in, that'll be our lot.

Stuff happens after a game, words get said and exception is taken. But it's not quite the image of 'tremendous team spirit' we hear about.

Separate tunnels which open out underneath to a shared area.

Happy with last night, it was exactly what we needed.

Very impressed with Aimson, there looks to be a far better balance with him alongside Santos than with Johnston. I like Johnston but he’s a footballer and not so much of a presence - when you add that alongside Santos, who funnily enough for a man mountain also hates playing against a big man (their sub gave him more trouble last night in 15 mins than Long did all game) then we’re often caused problems by long balls. With Aimson in there he tends to sort them out but can also play a bit too (some very decent diagonals over the full back) which surprises me.

Kachunga does some to be getting there, it was definitely his best game for us last night. He nearly had his goal in the first half when he had a great first touch but the keeper saved the shot well - once that comes I think he might kick on. I hope he does because I think there’s a half decent player in there somewhere.

Baka was the big difference for me though. It wasn’t in the obvious ways - I think he played pretty well but was probably a 6-7/10 - but his pace and strength just gave us something that we don’t have with Doyle. You can see the defenders drop deeper because they know he can do them in behind, which opens the game up for the likes of Sheehan and Lee and gives them more space. We also have a different out ball by playing it into channels or can fire a more hopeful one into his general direction to relieve some pressure and he generally holds it up well or lays it off. Add to that that he’s also got on the end of a cross and got a goal, which Doyle hasn’t done in the league for some time, and I just think that he’s the better option for the team. Given a run up top I think he’ll get better and better and will actually improve the 3 behind him as well.

Final shoutout for Isgrove who was fantastic. The cross to Baka in about the 2nd minute was as good as we’ve seen all season and he went on to create about 4 good chances just in the first half. Ran himself into the ground 2nd half and was blowing for the last 20 but considering he’s playing out of position he did a cracking job - he’s a great player to have in a squad.

Onwards and upwards - I just hope this is a start of a bit of a run that will keep us in the mix until we can strengthen in Jan.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

It wont be long before those exiting home sections will be prevented leaving across the south

Anywhere else, itd be away fans inconvenienced but the way things are going....