Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Crewe - Friday Night

Super Bock

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Strange that they were frisking people outside turnstiles, anybody any idea why?

Been doing all season. 

Just not so good at it.

As for the kiddies giving it the big un after the game; if may have been just that, but it seems to be becoming a bit of a thing, with greater numbers. Sooner or later something will happen and other folk will end up getting embroiled in it.

One lad was about 4 foot tall and giving it large at the back of the white army. Fuck me, I hope he can run quick, as he wouldn't last 10 seconds.

As for the game, we managed that second half very well I thought. Got the goals and were largely comfortable. OK they had a go at the end with nothing to lose, and we still managed to offer our usual freebies, but overall very worthy winners.

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Thought Bakayoko was more of a presence than Doyle, gave defenders more to think about.

Yeah he offered more than Doyle has in recent games, just not sure if that was down to the lack of quality of the opposition. Kachunga and Sheehan also had a good game for us after recent disappointing showings.

Credit where it’s due to them last night, just hope they can kick on now and be consistent with it.

We upped our tempo for 10 minutes in the second half, scored twice and it was job done. Not sure why we fucked about for 45mins before that as they were absolutely terrible.

Not one for official bashing but the ref was so over zealous in the first half that he had to back off in the second and so was very inconsistent, got the feeling it was the first time the linesman in front of WSL had ever done the job.

Does anyone know what officials get paid at our level, I've had a search but come up empty?

6 hours ago, tomski said:

Residents only after the final whistle aka 10pm. Can guess who came up with that. It was pissing it down and a bit of a pisstake in my opinion. 

Is it not a licensing thing with it being an evening game? Probably would have been last orders by the time they’d have cleared the usual queue

• Site Supporter
16 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

Gotta love our yoof, the future them boys, bouncing around in their Stone and CP (some of it maybe fake Cheetham Hill), spending all their Saturday job money watching the Wanderers, full respect from me 👌

I used to spend my meagre earnings as a kid on going to games.

Strangely, I never felt the need to walk half way round the stadium acting the cunt to other fans.

They could just go home, visiting the local corner shop for some illegal ale on the way, then smash up a bus stop or two.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

That's the old times fella, smashing bus stops though that's mindless vandalism... tut tut 🤔

Footballs moved on and to these lads it's now a religion.  

It's passion & fashion, take no notice of the WW mission statement, so 1970's 😁

If that's how it's moved on, then it's not for the better.

How much is it costing the club for stewards and police?

Take their religion to a big field somewhere, and text insults to each other...

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I don't think they do much wrong, all banter, if Neil wants to get them all banned, that's a dent in the clubs future support.

Did you witness Friday's shenanigans?

They won't he getting banned for it, as they weren't in their seats being outside. 

However, are they possibly putting off other youngsters (very young ones who were a bit scared) having to pass through it?

Another smoke flare thrown which could have hit someone. 

Club can manage without a hundred möngs and their associated costs.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

All I saw were some Crewe fans being thrown out and a Crewe fan throwing a flare on to the pitch in the first 2 minutes, all a bit strange.

I go towards the buses from EFL when the game finishes, so not quite sure what they got up too.

I'm just stating they are young kids/yoof going to games and creating an atmosphere, I'm sure if they come up against some big lads they would be on their heels, Tank top Neil is making a big issue over nothing.. imo.

I've no problem with them making some noise.

Just an unfortunate thing that seems to be happening at the end of each game. Started with a handful of them with a few gobby gestures whilst walking through away fans.

Friday was something else, much bigger group, more aggressive, and a flare thrown by Crewe lot.

Seemed to be planned.

Not just us with issues obviously, but it seems to be growing. Not ideal outside the entrance to the hotel.

Dunno what was going on with the Crewe lot- one was gripped well before kick off. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Started with a handful of them with a few gobby gestures whilst walking through away fans.

It’s always been fine margins with young exuberant passionate fans though hasn’t it. Some of the other stuff you mention; chucking smoke bombs, chucking stuff onto the pitch frightening younger kids, yes out of order.

But gobby gestures to away fans? That’s been forever and a day hasn’t it

4 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I don't think they do much wrong, all banter, if Neil wants to get them all banned, that's a dent in the clubs future support.

I agree, I think the large majority are passionate, vocal fans who are the future

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if the smoke bombs are being brought in by under 16s (who aren’t allowed to be searched), either for use by themselves or on behalf of older lads. 

Did wonder.

Perhaps the age thing needs scrapping. 

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Mantra said:

wasnt sure else where to put this stat but there you go

7 hours ago, Traf said:

But many of "our fans" think we're doing shit.

Our fans are also looking at our results and bemoaning the points lost where we played teams off the park; Cambridge, Sunderland, Burton, Sheffield Wed for example make us at least 10 points worse off than maybe we ought to be. Why wouldn’t they?

In the 98 points, 100 goal season, did nobody else look at that freak result at Southend (5-2 to Southend) and blame that on our failure to get to that magical 100/100?

We also have the second most entrances into the opposition’s penalty area and have created the 4th most chances in the league. We are also 6th in the league for expected goals. 

at least it shows we’re doing something right and it’s just the finishing touches that are letting us down. I suppose that comes when you can improve the squad