Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey Away

Offshore

33 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couldn’t do much worse perhaps put him central and move Johnstone out right. 

Johnstone's left footed.  If we're going to play a centre back at full back they at least need to be on their correct side.

TBH given how Baptiste was absolutely pivotal to our promotion last year, as important as anyone defensively, I'm amazed he's not been tried at right back.  Puzzling that Isgrove and Brockbank get in before him.

Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

Johnstone's left footed.  If we're going to play a centre back at full back they at least need to be on their correct side.

TBH given how Baptiste was absolutely pivotal to our promotion last year, as important as anyone defensively, I'm amazed he's not been tried at right back.  Puzzling that Isgrove and Brockbank get in before him.

Wasn’t sure if Aimson or Johston were right footed, if either are then they go into right back.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure dominating posession necessarily means outplaying teams.

And to be honest, it doesn't appear to be to our advantage. The more we dominate posesssion, the fewer goals we score.

Agreed, perhaps teams are allowing us time to play in the middle 3rd knowing we ain’t got a cutting edge, if we did have cutting edge they’d be more inclined not to let us play middle 3rd, could be that teams have sussed us out and play like they’re the away team even at home, let us dominate then hit us on the break. Evatt needs to sort it out ASAP. 

Another week where we ‘should’ have got something but ultimately weren’t good enough. Very much mid-table League One fare from both sides. Probably not much difference between 8th-18th in this league, and it isn’t much fun watching it sometimes.

Good to see @BOWTUN BAKED and NotSoSober Dan after the game.

Top following and fair fucks to those doing the round trip rather than staying over. 

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

He doesn’t suit the way we are playing. Agreed. Not a personal attack on the lad for me but most of the time we may as well have 10 men

Last week I thought bako might of been the answer up front someone a bit more physical and lay the ball off and bring people into play Didn’t happen . Has for kachunga can’t believe he played in the premier league and top flight in Germany 

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

The fact that we haven’t got options is the issue

Absolutely. Our entire squad, other than academy lads, has been assembled without any fees being paid over the last three windows. We've been plagued by injuries all season and then our captain who is one of our main goal threats leaved suddenly in mysterious circumstances. I'll wait until the end of the season before I pass my verdict. In all probability we'll have an inkling after the end of January.

It was the same last year to an extent, the way we set up means we seem to have to be at 100% to win matches, it feels really full on to get points. And even then we don't win them all, yet if we slightly dip in our performance we rarely get anything?

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but would feel more comfortable having tactics that allowed an average performance but still able to win. As teams seem to do to us with frustrating regularity.

Disappointed to say the least dont care if we have 90 % possession to win a game we need to score and not to concede we cannot do either atm. For me we are heading for a relegation battle change of system might be the answer . As for Kachunga how shit is he and Delf What more can I say.

31 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Last week I thought bako might of been the answer up front someone a bit more physical and lay the ball off and bring people into play Didn’t happen . Has for kachunga can’t believe he played in the premier league and top flight in Germany 

Aye I thought/hoped for the same 

31 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

It was the same last year to an extent, the way we set up means we seem to have to be at 100% to win matches, it feels really full on to get points. And even then we don't win them all, yet if we slightly dip in our performance we rarely get anything?

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but would feel more comfortable having tactics that allowed an average performance but still able to win. As teams seem to do to us with frustrating regularity.

I don't really think we were on top of our game for our only 2 home wins - Oxford and Shrewsbury will be disappointed they didn't get at least a draw, but obviously 2 "worldies" helped in the last one.  And Charlton away, lucky to go in 1-1 at the break,  could have gone either before we ran away with the last half hour.  But I agree it would be great to snatch a 1-0 win away by defending really well and snatching a goal on the break. Lincoln was the nearest we came to that, seems ages ago now.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Not his fault massively but the Keeper just Int good enough at this level 

Feels like we’ve a youth player in nets 

he’s no presence 

#1 priority in Jan for me 

Bollocks

Dixon is down the list of issues

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Hoof

Fucking hoof

Run faster

59 minutes ago, Ani said:

Team low on confidence , couple of injuries and suspensions have shown how thin the squad is. 

We are a decent team, but not brilliant. We will improve in Jan. 

But so will the teams above us. All of those who fancy their chances.

I’m with Jules - again, Dixon does nothing for me. Looks too short. Doesn’t command his area. Doesn’t look to be instilling confidence in his defenders. 

I would have Gilks back in now - steady the ship. And he’d be captain.

• Site Supporter

Dixon has on a few occasions come out and not got anywhere near the ball- perhaps a touch of inexperience. Beyond that he's been ok for me. Jussi was similar in his early days.

Not saying Dixon will go on to such heights but he can improve and get stronger. 

There are bigger problems in all other areas.