Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pompey Away

Offshore

6 minutes ago, tomski said:

We don’t create enough. We don’t score simple goals. Every goal we go round the houses and when it’s good it’s great.

Well I agree with this, and said something similar earlier.

The over playing, is it because they are instructed to, or because they know Doyle rarely gets on the end of anything so it then becomes too deliberate?? I'm not sure anymore.

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

It’s not an unfair question but being a centre forward in this system is in my opinion thankless.

I think from memory Doyle had 1 header. We don’t create enough. We don’t score simple goals. Every goal we go round the houses and when it’s good it’s great.

The inability to change our system when going down 1-0 regularly is a problem but it was till Feb last season which makes me suspect a personnel change will come again, but as stated before it’s disappointing as a lot of football is to be played between now and then.

In fact we only went 1 down twice from March to the end of the season, and both times we couldn't equalise (Newport and Grimsby).  The problem was there then, and hasn't gone away.  Home matches different of course, the problem is away.

9 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Well I agree with this, and said something similar earlier.

The over playing, is it because they are instructed to, or because they know Doyle rarely gets on the end of anything so it then becomes too deliberate?? I'm not sure anymore.

It's because they're instructed to.

We have no good options for the centre forward role currently, but Doyle is the best one.

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Another week where we ‘should’ have got something but ultimately weren’t good enough. Very much mid-table League One fare from both sides. Probably not much difference between 8th-18th in this league, and it isn’t much fun watching it sometimes.

Good to see @BOWTUN BAKED and NotSoSober Dan after the game.

Top following and fair fucks to those doing the round trip rather than staying over. 

Nice to see you & Mrs as well pal, safe journey home 👍

7 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

This post was brought to you in conjunction with Bucks Fizz....

Not at all, haven’t touched a drop since Plymouth!!!

Anyway, that interview is the talk of a man under serious pressure, clearly agitated, almost demoralised and he’s now starting to blame his players. 

“Lacking spirit, fight and desire and go hiding” after a team bonding day?

The buck stops with him and ever since he’s been here we have always gone on runs, both good and bad. 

Something is clearly not right at the club and we need to know the truth about what happened with Sarcevic. It’s very very strange to say the least. 

1 point from 5 games, and haven’t scored in 8 out of 12. 

Those are the facts, but most people just seem to want to ignore them. 

I am not suggesting for one minute that he is sacked and he will come good.

However he has to stop being so bloody minded, almost naive, and realise that on the pitch he has maybe not got the tactical prowess, that he appears to have when you listen to his normally eloquent interviews. 

10 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's because they're instructed to.

We have no good options for the centre forward role currently, but Doyle is the best one.

I remember listening to an interview with nathan Blake and he said as a forward you prefare wingers who put the ball in the box the first time instead of beating a man then cutting back and beating him again and crossing because you can’t time your run 

The way we play in the final third is a bit similar we tend to play across the box and try to find a way through we don’t see many first time balls into it 

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, captainmed said:

Anyway, that interview is the talk of a man under serious pressure, clearly agitated, almost demoralised and he’s now starting to blame his players. 

The buck stops with him and ever since he’s been here we have always gone on runs, both good and bad. 

Something is clearly not right at the club and we need to know the truth about what happened with Sarcevic. It’s very very strange to say the least. 

However he has to stop being so bloody minded, almost naive, and realise that on the pitch he has maybe not got the tactical prowess, that he appears to have when you listen to his normally eloquent interviews. 

I share your concerns, I'm just hoping that the plan is to keep training & playing to the same system & gradually improve the squad so that everyone just slots in & knows their jobs because when it clicks its both successful & very entertaining.... I think we just need to ride this out until January for better or worse. 

I'd be very loathe to pot Evatt unless something was beyond repair given what he's achieved so far & the way he wants us to play. He's learning on the job with us tbf & it won't always run smooth but for the first time in 10 years we have a plan & an identity. I think our start to the season raised expectations too high... We've seen it many times before, promoted team gets off to a flyer & then reality kicks in. We are up a level, some of our players haven't quite made the step up & it's not happening for a couple of our signings. If I were IE my main focus for now would be getting Sheehan & Doyle to work on an understanding. 

Let's just keep the faith for now, I still think the good times are around the corner, we just need a spark to get us out of this rut! 

5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I share your concerns, I'm just hoping that the plan is to keep training & playing to the same system & gradually improve the squad so that everyone just slots in & knows their jobs because when it clicks its both successful & very entertaining.... I think we just need to ride this out until January for better or worse. 

I'd be very loathe to pot Evatt unless something was beyond repair given what he's achieved so far & the way he wants us to play. He's learning on the job with us tbf & it won't always run smooth but for the first time in 10 years we have a plan & an identity. I think our start to the season raised expectations too high... We've seen it many times before, promoted team gets off to a flyer & then reality kicks in. We are up a level, some of our players haven't quite made the step up & it's not happening for a couple of our signings. If I were IE my main focus for now would be getting Sheehan & Doyle to work on an understanding. 

Let's just keep the faith for now, I still think the good times are around the corner, we just need a spark to get us out of this rut! 

Very good post RP, totally agree with all of that. I think we need to remember that Evatt’s signings have all been bargain basement so far due to our embargo situation and whilst a number of them haven’t worked out, the majority like Lee, Dapo and John have been excellent. I’m sure in the coming window, IE will address the problems and whilst I don’t see us quite pushing the top six, I think mid table is more than achievable. Both we and the board have to back him now not start falling out.

37 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I remember listening to an interview with nathan Blake and he said as a forward you prefare wingers who put the ball in the box the first time instead of beating a man then cutting back and beating him again and crossing because you can’t time your run 

The way we play in the final third is a bit similar we tend to play across the box and try to find a way through we don’t see many first time balls into it 

We lose the chance to score so many times by stopping, but when we do get through we look menacing, it worked late against Gillingham, they couldn’t keep up with us.   As for Dixon, I like the lad, he’s reliable and hardly puts a single foot wrong, it’s easy to say he could of saved it yesterday, but he got to it and on another day the linesman’s flag would of stayed down, it’s one of them.   We had numerous corners first half, I was confident and smug we’d get a result, we was winning the ball back well, midfield and defence looked the better of the two teams, we just need a couple of strikers as I see it to take the extra pressure the current ones leave the rest of the team under.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, captainmed said:

While you make some good points, I think it’s one of those interviews where you hear what you want to hear.

Im hearing a manager who is, yes, disappointed, angry, frustrated - who wouldn’t be with the run we are on.

But I’m also hearing a manager who is passionate, methodical, coherent, who has belief in himself and his squad. He doesn’t castigate anyone individually, everything is about the collective with a drive and a commitment to turn around the poor form.

Evatt makes the point in that interview that we aren't built to play long and he's bang on. The team have to have the confidence to play the way we play and not resort to direct football. If we stick to our beliefs results will pick up again. But start going direct, like they did too much in the second half, and it's not going to work. 

4 minutes ago, desperado said:

While you make some good points, I think it’s one of those interviews where you hear what you want to hear.

Im hearing a manager who is, yes, disappointed, angry, frustrated - who wouldn’t be with the run we are on.

But I’m also hearing a manager who is passionate, methodical, coherent, who has belief in himself and his squad. He doesn’t castigate anyone individually, everything is about the collective with a drive and a commitment to turn around the poor form.

Agree with this, clearly he’s passionate and wears his heart on his sleeve, I like that, I am sure if we back him and the owners back him in January it’ll get much better. This is a keep the faith period.