Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stockport FAC

bwfc2003

My understanding is that he was a bit of an arrogant cock who believed he should play 90m of any match he was fit for (as captain I suppose I get that). 

Took great umbridge at any negatives given to him (again, understandable but stop reading social media then, or learn to slope it).

On extremely good money for the level & new contract would come with reduced terms. Again, understandable that he'd push back but it may be the best offer he had.

Not being selected to start at Plymouth, a former team where he wanted to impress, was his final straw. Yet again, I get that but it happens & a pro should suck it up.

Finally, talk of him being part of a good, old-school clique and some fall outs affecting the famous team morale. There's a fine line between strong bonds and a dominant clique.

I liked what I saw of him, I wish the blow-up hadn't happened and that he was still here but there should only be one winner when a fall-out goes beyond normal spats & sulks. I'm hoping Evatt's loss of patience was justified but while he's the manager Sharon's going to back him ... & rightly so.

If he had  an attitude the manager couldn't work with he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.Sarcevic was an established player in his mid 20s who had been round the block a few times.It wouldn't have been difficult to find out what his personality was like  before handing out a 200k per year contract.

Letting him go has made Bolton a  weaker team and it was a bang average side getting thumped 4-0 by Wigan even with him playing.

The guy managing at the Reebok today, aware of Bolton's limited budget took a big risk spending his biggest transfer fees on the "problem players" Diouf and Anelka. Instead of falling out with them and sacking them mid season, he gave them some much needed love and got them producing fantastic stuff for Bolton for the money paid.

14 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm guessing that these two games are the first time in any of our lifetimes that we've played a 1st round game in front of 10,000 or so, home or away?  And as most non league/league 2 grounds don't hold 10k, is this the first time one of our FA Cup 1st or 2nd rounds has sold out?  Happy to be put right.

Burnley away in the other 4th Division season  was over 10,000 and i can't remember but would bet money on at least one tie in the early 70s being over 10,000

13 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I still think in 15 years time he’s going to sit down and wonder why the fuck he gave up captaining a club like ours to go and fuck about at Weymouth or Kings Lynn on a Tuesday night. 

I suppose realistically he knew he wouldn't be here beyond May, so at face value getting the security of a longish contract makes sense.  You just think he could have got an ambitious league 2 club in January, rather than an ambitious national league club.  A league where you have to finish top for guaranteed promotion.

45 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Burnley away in the other 4th Division season  was over 10,000 and i can't remember but would bet money on at least one tie in the early 70s being over 10,000

Well spotted, I forgot about the Burnley game, and I went.  Lots of post match trouble too, how could I forget.  I think there was 10k on, so the home game last week stands as the biggest crowd for a 1st round game, and the away game will stand as the only sell out.  Unless I've forgotten another.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

If he had  an attitude the manager couldn't work with he shouldn't have been signed in the first place.Sarcevic was an established player in his mid 20s who had been round the block a few times.It wouldn't have been difficult to find out what his personality was like  before handing out a 200k per year contract.

Letting him go has made Bolton a  weaker team and it was a bang average side getting thumped 4-0 by Wigan even with him playing.

The guy managing at the Reebok today, aware of Bolton's limited budget took a big risk spending his biggest transfer fees on the "problem players" Diouf and Anelka. Instead of falling out with them and sacking them mid season, he gave them some much needed love and got them producing fantastic stuff for Bolton for the money paid.

Forgotten about Diawara then?

BSA brought plenty in and they didn't make it.

Whether or not IE knew what Sarc was like doesn't matter- he clearly felt he was worth his place and the captaincy. If the player later spits his dummy out, more fool him.

And using a single example of a defeat (Wigan) as a means of backing your argument smacks of desperation. 

On Friday we beat crewe, and thoroughly deserved to. A team that has had some creditable results away at teams that have already beaten us. On that basis we are vastly superior now that Sarc has left.

Guest Nordkurve
15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Forgotten about Diawara then?

BSA brought plenty in and they didn't make it.

Whether or not IE knew what Sarc was like doesn't matter- he clearly felt he was worth his place and the captaincy. If the player later spits his dummy out, more fool him.

And using a single example of a defeat (Wigan) as a means of backing your argument smacks of desperation. 

On Friday we beat crewe, and thoroughly deserved to. A team that has had some creditable results away at teams that have already beaten us. On that basis we are vastly superior now that Sarc has left.

Crewe: Played 17, Won 1, Drawn 6, Lost 10. They're bottom of the League and shit.

Guest Nordkurve
48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Now read back, and some of their results away. They were shit, but we made them look it.

My point still stands.

They drew away at Plymouth. That's good, and Rotherham who had had a Player sent off. Any team can pick up the odd draw away from home against a top team. I'm too tired to work out if you're being sarcastic or not. We scored twice against a shit team, at home. It proves nothing with regards to Sarcevic really.

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well spotted, I forgot about the Burnley game, and I went.  Lots of post match trouble too, how could I forget.  I think there was 10k on, so the home game last week stands as the biggest crowd for a 1st round game, and the away game will stand as the only sell out.  Unless I've forgotten another.

Was Witton Albion not a sell out? 

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

They drew away at Plymouth. That's good, and Rotherham who had had a Player sent off. Any team can pick up the odd draw away from home against a top team. I'm too tired to work out if you're being sarcastic or not. We scored twice against a shit team, at home. It proves nothing with regards to Sarcevic really.

Neither does saying were shit without him, after getting stuffed by Wigan. A single game, and one in which he played.

He's a redophile making digs at Evatt that don't stand up to scrutiny. 

Guest Nordkurve
13 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Neither does saying were shit without him, after getting stuffed by Wigan. A single game, and one in which he played.

He's a redophile making digs at Evatt that don't stand up to scrutiny. 

I never said we were shit without Sarcevic. Redophile ? Someone attracted to Red Haired people ? What the fuck has that got to do with anything here ? Regarding the Wigan game, by your logic then the whole starting eleven are at that same level, and no one on this Forum knows for certain what went on between him and IE. It's not like we kicked on and became world beaters after he left. We have won one game, at home, to the Team that is bottom of the League FFS.

6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Has this definitely sold out now - there's nowt showing on the ticket part of the website?

When I went down earlier they had some left in the family stand. But you have to bring a kid or senior, if you don't they won't let you in apparently. 

So I'm watching on tele. 

9 minutes ago, stevieb said:

When I went down earlier they had some left in the family stand. But you have to bring a kid or senior, if you don't they won't let you in apparently. 

So I'm watching on tele. 

Fuck sake. Why are they making it so hard to sell tickets. Be interested to know if Stockport did similar.