Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stockport FAC

bwfc2003

22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good info, I didn't know that about playing first round upto 1925-26. 

Yes, the our lifetimes bit was based on thinking that 1st round games weren't necessary for us in the 50s and 60s if I'm not mistaken.  Then just a couple of seasons in the early 70s, then about 10 years from 1983-93.  No more 1st round till about 5 years ago.

For interest, and I've already been corrected once or twice,  here's another similar game I hadn't thought about, in 2nd round rather than 1st: Rossendale "away" in 71-72, played at Gigg Lane.  Attendance 12,100, not sure how close that was to being full. 

Think Gigg Lane held around 18,000 then, i was at the match. We won 4-1 after going a goal down. My Art teacher to be at St James Secondary, Farnworth, Bob Woods, was the captain of Rossendale.

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

It will be a mess tomorrow if we finish up with women & children taking up the tickets for behind the goal ( with the accompanying " can you sit down, there's kiddies here" or "can you mind your language, there's women here " ) but empty seats in the family stand that Bolton fans without kids in tow can't buy.

Genuinely, why?

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

That's the key for me then.  Open it up to anyone, groups of 'lads', etc and you'd have all the fucking mongos setting off flares under the stands in amongst a load of kids and old folk.

And maybe it's part of their safety certificate that it's familes only.

1 hour ago, woolli said:

Think Gigg Lane held around 18,000 then, i was at the match. We won 4-1 after going a goal down. My Art teacher to be at St James Secondary, Farnworth, Bob Woods, was the captain of Rossendale.

Great stuff.  Course Gigg Lane held a lot more then, it holds about 12k these days so obviously a lot more pre-all seater.

Their record attendance was for the FA Cup tie against us in 1960, 35,000;  very hard to visualise so many there.  524 buses must have been rammed.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great stuff.  Course Gigg Lane held a lot more then, it holds about 12k these days so obviously a lot more pre-all seater.

Their record attendance was for the FA Cup tie against us in 1960, 35,000;  very hard to visualise so many there.  524 buses must have been rammed.

It was the 23t to Bury in them days.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It isn’t shared in as much as you’ll be sat next to a Stockport fan, it’s just they’ve got shared entrances and concourses

Dunno how long they've been doing it but i believe from a Grimsby fan i know that they only got 1200 behind the goal earlier this season and wouldn't give them any more 

Remember being done the side last time we played them (20 years ago) but don't think it was shared 

Went a few years back v Solihull Moors and there was no one behind the goal and about 50 SM fans tucked away in the corner 

Anyway 

Im in the big boys stand, looking forward to it

4 hours ago, woolli said:

Bob woods was our teacher at Turton and was quite up for it prior to the game . He was marking Roy Greaves who scored a hat trick . In those days we never had banter with teachers . He married another art teacher from our school . He was a good teacher , gave us a great music lesson when the music teacher was ill , brought his guitar into the lesson and sang pop classics to us . 

I think he was a wanderer too . 

9 hours ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Bob woods was our teacher at Turton and was quite up for it prior to the game . He was marking Roy Greaves who scored a hat trick . In those days we never had banter with teachers . He married another art teacher from our school . He was a good teacher , gave us a great music lesson when the music teacher was ill , brought his guitar into the lesson and sang pop classics to us . 

I think he was a wanderer too . 

Yes, remember the guitar as well, his party piece. Good teacher Bob, liked his females as well!

For any of you into your real ale/craft beer I can recommend either the Petersgate tap (around 10 mins walk from the station, go towards McDonalds, cross over and then turn right at the Library then straight on), or The Magnet (a tiny bit further, but up the A6 towards Manchester on the left hand side). Both great pubs who welcome respectful fans of away clubs.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

@Zico Twitter saying no away fans in pubs near ground any places near train station 

Yeah i wouldn't bother with anything edgeley side of the station most are rough and shit at best of times, Armoury decent enough but home fans only 

Basically head out the station front entrance and across the a6 

In the old town there's a decent pub called The Baker's Vaults, across from that is The Boars Head which is a Sam Smiths pub so dead cheap, and next door is a food hall for decent food and beer , I'd head for there

There's plenty other pubs dotted about but not been in most of them 

Edit just seen mattb post, petersgate tap just down from those pubs, and a whetherspoons 

If you like your IPAs, and let's face it who doesn't, then definitely recommend the Magnet on the A6 about 10 mins walk head out the front of the station turn left at McDonald's and keep walking  

You might find parking up that way toi

If you're driving maybe try parking around Shaw Heath, there's a pub near there called the blossoms on the a6 (who the band named themselves after) that should be fine for away fans

9 minutes on a train from manchester and less than 10 minutes walk from the station to the ground. No need to worry about pubs letting you in and plenty of options in the city centre!

Anyway, we’re in the Railway End apparently - is that with adults or kids club?