Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stockport FAC

bwfc2003

2 minutes ago, Mantra said:

If you read it in the full context is he not just talking about the illness going around the squad?

“(Williams) had some hot and cold sweats and a bad throat. He’s been back in today, feeling much better. Obviously the doc gave him some meds on Tuesday, which has helped him.

“Dapo was suffering yesterday but still wanted to put himself forward and play. He’s off today, we’re hopeful that he will be okay for the weekend.

“And there are two or three others who have been dealing with it. There is a lot of it going round, but as I said we aren’t going to make excuses.

“Last night was poor and inexcusable, but there is stuff going on behind the scenes that not everybody will understand.”

Full article.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19726615.bolton-wanderers-boss-ian-evatt-gives-injury-update-ahead-wycombe-trip/

So there we have it there are ongoing issues behind the scenes. Definitely playing a part in our current form, strap yourself in could be a bumpy few weeks. 

I'm reading it totally differently it seems.

I get how you could extract from that, given the Sarce saga, that the issues are of similar nature.

But considering how the whole conversation is about injuries and illness, makes more sense he's talking about those "issues"

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I'm reading it totally differently it seems.

I get how you could extract from that, given the Sarce saga, that the issues are of similar nature.

But considering how the whole conversation is about injuries and illness, makes more sense he's talking about those "issues"

Later paragraph reads:

Last night was poor and inexcusable, but there is stuff going on behind the scenes that not everybody will understand.”

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Later paragraph reads:

Last night was poor and inexcusable, but there is stuff going on behind the scenes that not everybody will understand.”

I know -

My point is "stuff going on behind the scenes that not everybody will understand", sounds like he's talking about the illnesses that he was talking about in the 2 previous sentences. He says "there is a lot of it (illnesses) going round", then he says that about behind the scenes. Sounds like a follow up sentence imo, not a separate issue.

3 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I know -

My point is "stuff going on behind the scenes that not everybody will understand", sounds like he's talking about the illnesses that he was talking about in the 2 previous sentences. He says "there is a lot of it (illnesses) going round", then he says that about behind the scenes. Sounds like a follow up sentence imo, not a separate issue.

I don’t think it’s injuries, everyone understands injuries, I read it as something else going on. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Later paragraph reads:

Adding that on does suggest another issue.

Also consider that anyone can understand an illness sweeping the camp, so surely something else.

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

I don’t think it’s injuries, everyone understands injuries, I read it as something else. 

Everyone understands injuries. Not everyone will have known that several members of the squad have gotten an illness before the game and had to play through the illness.

I don't know, you could be right, I just don't get why he would tag such a provocative sentence at the end of a discussion about injuries and illness.

48 minutes ago, marple whites said:

I am very arsed - everywhere you go round here now, there are county fans that have crawled out of the wood work. You would think they have won the champions league.

Always said I don’t mind seeing us get beat, but only if we have given everything and we gave nothing last night.  No excuse for not working and tackling.

every one of our players would have failed the mirror test. (Did I do my best)

a complete shambles - every single one of them.

great curry pre game though - the highlight of the night.  Oh yes and going home.

When you are “arsed” then we have serious problems. 

You are one of the most laid back and mild mannered Bolton fans I have ever met. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Left on their own? Dunno what you mean really.

We should have the wherewithal to play with two in the middle of the park against non-league opposition shouldn't we? d

Why?

Not played with 2 midfielders since he's been here. 3 up top, and a winger playing as a full back.

Also 3 at the back which he rejected previously.

Yet you reckon they should be able to manage. 

We clearly didn't. Sickness or not.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Adding that on does suggest another issue.

Also consider that anyone can understand an illness sweeping the camp, so surely something else.

Definitely possible that it's a separate issue and it does sound concerning out of context.

I know he's made some faux pas in his interviews before but seems a random place to drop a bombshell like that, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, SLomasSCFC said:

Stockport fan back in peace rather than to gloat

Had a read through comments on here and generally some positive comments about us, met young lad who does the VLOG is thogden and said i thought we would get beat in extra time pre-match, he's a credit to your club

In end have to say i thought we were worthy winners and if we had lost would be bemoaning beating ourselves by defending like utter bell ends, but we look a threat every time we go forward now, a far cry away from the turgid dross we produced prior to Challinor arrival

Our players left every ounce of energy and sinew out on the pitch yesterday and generally wanted it more

was shouting at our players by tunnel at HT that if we cut out the daft defending we would win and it was only our shite defending that made it the contest it was, it was our shite defnding that made it the game it was

You guys defo lack presence upfront and in midfield by sounds of it Williams is a big miss for you

FOr us its all about instilling belief and gauging where we are at and can mix it with higher division teams, we are evidently better than our league position suggests so youd hope that will transfer into our league form otherwise its all for nowt

Intensity of our play was impressive, thought pitch invasion was over zealous on our part and seemed CHallinor had some choice words for them which is fair, though i can understand our fans reaction considering the utter drivel weve endured last 10 years, he a man with exacting standards and if club gets where it hopes to be should be holding our own in games and hoping for battles with clubs like yourselves every week as the norm

Enjoyed the two games naturally from my perspective, best of luck for rest of season

Glad you enjoyed it.  Well played team and fans, in both games.

As an aside, I had a flashback last night.  In the early 80s I went to a few County games on Friday nights with a mate who supported them.  I still remember the songs, I O County, County I O to the tune of the Pompey chimes which always seemed a bit odd.  Still going strong now.  "We will follow the County, over land and see....and Bradford....we will follow the County, upto victory".  At the time my mate said he'd no idea why it was Bradford in that song (we used to sing it with "and Blackburn" but it died ages ago unfortunately).  I heard it sung last night and couldn't believe my ears that it had stood the test of time despite you not appearing to have a rivalry with Bradford?  Just thought I'd share it with you.

Good luck at Rotherham.  Obviously I hope you and Sarce stay down though 😃

3 hours ago, woolli said:

Weve just come from league 2 haven we?

Yeh, got to keep in mind that just 9 months ago we were only 8 places above Stockport in the pyramid. For all the talk of getting done by a non-league team, it's not like back in the day when it'd be a double-glazing salesman scoring the winner. Now there's precious little, if owt, between NL and L2. Look at how well Harrogate and Sutton are doing. So for all the deserved criticism of the performance, the (understandable) BBC hype about a non league team beating someone two divisions higher doesn't really stack up against some of the genuine upsets of a few decades ago. Unless it involves a L1 team that is really motoring and put out a full team, or it involved a team from much further down the pyramid, it's not the surprise it used to be.

43 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Must say that for the most part, the County lads that have come on to this forum have been top notch.

One minor pitch invasion apart, their fans have been brilliant over the 2 games and the club/team are way to good to be mid table National league.

Fair fucks to ‘em i say.

Too good to be mid table National League, but I bet a few others are too.  There are a few big teams with good crowds and/or money.  Notts County, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Stockport, Grimsby, Southend; then the well run clubs with less history: Dagenham, Boreham Wood, Bromley, Solihull (who gave Wigan 2 good games).  You can have money, a top manager, good players, good ground and decent crowds but if you don't finish top of the pile you are likely to be staying down for another year.  I'm still relieved we didn't get drawn into a relegation battle last season, when we were 7 points above Grimsby and on a losing run at the end of Jan.  The thought of trying to finish top of that league is scary and the 2 games against a mid table side only confirmed that.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Yeh, got to keep in mind that just 9 months ago we were only 8 places above Stockport in the pyramid. For all the talk of getting done by a non-league team, it's not like back in the day when it'd be a double-glazing salesman scoring the winner. Now there's precious little, if owt, between NL and L2. Look at how well Harrogate and Sutton are doing. So for all the deserved criticism of the performance, the (understandable) BBC hype about a non league team beating someone two divisions higher doesn't really stack up against some of the genuine upsets of a few decades ago. Unless it involves a L1 team that is really motoring and put out a full team, or it involved a team from much further down the pyramid, it's not the surprise it used to be.

Getting beat no, conceding 5 & still being flattered by the score, very much yes. 

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Must say that for the most part, the County lads that have come on to this forum have been top notch.

One minor pitch invasion apart, their fans have been brilliant over the 2 games and the club/team are way to good to be mid table National league.

Fair fucks to ‘em i say.

Also keeping their stadium over the lean years is a great achievement that’s the bed rock of the club & town and will play big part in them returning to league football. Good luck to them. 

Thanks all for kind comments, the stadium is our identity its a great location by the station with loads of pubs (albeit shite ones you'd not normally touch outside a matchday but about £2.80 a pint) plans to raise capacity to 22k for us in place, we've a genuine opportunity to build our fanbase further off the back of nights like last night, if youre the neutral or floating fan if you dont come back after that game then they never will

In typical banter club we can be was fearing worst after 5 mins on national TV but thankfully for us anyway we showed a lot of fucking desire and spirit

Think the average football fan is getting disnefranchised from the premier league crap and the way its been sanitised and people are erring towards a more watchable product with it in its purest form minus all the VAR shite so a real opportunity for clubs to attract a lasting increase in fans that we as a club and yourselves to an extent have to get right

• Members
53 minutes ago, SLomasSCFC said:

Think the average football fan is getting disnefranchised from the premier league crap and the way its been sanitised and people are erring towards a more watchable product with it in its purest form minus all the VAR shite so a real opportunity for clubs to attract a lasting increase in fans that we as a club and yourselves to an extent have to get right

With you there brother. The sanitised PL inhabited mainly by overpaid prima donna's does little for me. Far more enjoyment for my money in many tiers below that lot. Watching the Robbie Savage Macclesfield FC thing or the BT Sport Film 'Brothers in Football' means far more to me than watching any PL offerings. The attempt to form the Euro super league by certain clubs tells us what the PL is all about. Fuck all to do with identity or community - only commerce.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Mantra said:

I know -

That’s definitely the way I’m reading it. This article is all about the injuries and more importantly the illness (which definitely falls into the category of something going on behind the scenes that we didn’t understand was going on) And that sentence is is at the end of a small paragraph  explaining it.