Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wyresdale

Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter

Just seen that a company wants to build houses on their pitches.

Ffs, how many pitches do they want to lose: an amateur club with several teams.

Pitches lost previously off radcliffe Road (Darcy lever) and in leverhulme Park (bottom of slope near the river).

These sites are where so many young adults play the game- might never go on to play at any particularly high level, but all part of being healthy and part of the community.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just seen that a company wants to build houses on their pitches.

Ffs, how many pitches do they want to lose: an amateur club with several teams.

Pitches lost previously off radcliffe Road (Darcy lever) and in leverhulme Park (bottom of slope near the river).

These sites are where so many young adults play the game- might never go on to play at any particularly high level, but all part of being healthy and part of the community.

They’ll probably get 1 or 2 4G pitch for all teams and bank the dosh.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, fatolive said:

Wyresdale  have agreed to sell I am told. 
Full detailed plans gone in, traffic impacts etc 

has been surveys on the site over the last year or so . 
talk of wyresdale relocating relatively nearby 

Where to though?

Just a shame.

On a similar, but separate note local twatspatulas have had two bin fires on new house farm. On consisting of 4 wheelie bins in a goal mouth which has left a layer of molten plastic underneath inches of broken glass. 

Killed off the grass in a circle.

Absolute fucking cunts. Teams play on these pitches week in week out.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Where to though?

Just a shame.

On a similar, but separate note local twatspatulas have had two bin fires on new house farm. On consisting of 4 wheelie bins in a goal mouth which has left a layer of molten plastic underneath inches of broken glass. 

Killed off the grass in a circle.

Absolute fucking cunts. Teams play on these pitches week in week out.

Seen that mate, between those and motorbikes it’s hard work 

talk of wyresdale going ‘600m due east of the current location, south of A58 Bury rd “ 

that would be the fields north of star mount by that measure 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, fatolive said:

Seen that mate, between those and motorbikes it’s hard work 

talk of wyresdale going ‘600m due east of the current location, south of A58 Bury rd “ 

that would be the fields north of star mount by that measure 

Dobbies pitches then?

Did wonder.

• Site Supporter

Incidentally, I rang the council to report the bin fires.

No person answers, no pre-recorded voice saying press 1 for this etc. Just a voice that tells you to say a word relating to the required department.

I said "football pitches", and the voice tells me she's putting me through to the tree team.

I hung up.

Rang again a few minutes later and said "parks". Got through to an engaged line. After 10 minutes and 30 seconds I hung up again.

Progress! :(

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dobbies pitches then?

Did wonder.

Don’t think it’s Dobbies, that measurement brings to more or less opposite the top bull , behind the car place area . 

think it’s just a field , used be cows in it when I was young 😁

6 hours ago, fatolive said:

Wyresdale  have agreed to sell I am told. 
Full detailed plans gone in, traffic impacts etc 

has been surveys on the site over the last year or so . 
talk of wyresdale relocating relatively nearby 

My Dad will be upset about this. He has very proud memories of playing for (captaining?) Wyresdale when they won the Hospital Cup at Burden.

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, perth_white said:

My Dad will be upset about this. He has very proud memories of playing for (captaining?) Wyresdale when they won the Hospital Cup at Burden.

I remember your dad playing for them and that occasion vaguely 

46 minutes ago, Steejay said:

I got twatted round the head by a Bobby at the back of Wyresdale about 50 years ago for trying to nick beer from an old barrel round the back of the club.

Used to be a good social club back in the day, was very popular , especially in the days when the pubs shut in the afternoons

4 hours ago, fatolive said:

Don’t think it’s Dobbies, that measurement brings to more or less opposite the top bull , behind the car place area . 

think it’s just a field , used be cows in it when I was young 😁

There used to be a football pitch behind the Top Bull, up the lane past the car park, played on that a few times.  Shame about wyresdale, they were the only team with a clubhouse in the early 80s and quite a few teams would go there, it was packed on Saturdays after the Bolton Combination games.  Got decent memories of that place.

11 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Incidentally, I rang the council to report the bin fires.

No person answers, no pre-recorded voice saying press 1 for this etc. Just a voice that tells you to say a word relating to the required department.

I said "football pitches", and the voice tells me she's putting me through to the tree team.

I hung up.

Rang again a few minutes later and said "parks". Got through to an engaged line. After 10 minutes and 30 seconds I hung up again.

Progress! :(

I’m assuming that the bin fires were already out when you tried the call to the council. I’ve found that contacting a local councillor is the better use of my time when I’ve has the occasional need to report an issue. 

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

There used to be a football pitch behind the Top Bull, up the lane past the car park, played on that a few times.  Shame about wyresdale, they were the only team with a clubhouse in the early 80s and quite a few teams would go there, it was packed on Saturdays after the Bolton Combination games.  Got decent memories of that place.

Still there that , if it’s the same one you mean , Ainsworth fc pitch is up the lane . 
yeh remember being in as a a kid / teenager . 
not been in use as a club for a bit and only used as changing rooms for last 10 years , shame really as you say it was a great place 

It was a very important part of our community, my Dad played for Wyresdale, my brother played there for youth teams, I didn't because I was a chubby kid who loved to read. We had do's there, so many pasties and money put into the 'Bombjack' arcade. I also remember a brilliant night watching 'Detour', a local covers band. Really sad to lose these landmarks from the area.

9 hours ago, fatolive said:

I remember your dad playing for them and that occasion vaguely

Sent my Dad a WhatsApp to let him know and he's not happy about Wyresdale being built on, to quote "nothing's scared".

He captained Wyresdale to the treble that year. It's something that I'm bizarrely proud of, I've no idea why 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Morizio said:

I’m assuming that the bin fires were already out when you tried the call to the council. I’ve found that contacting a local councillor is the better use of my time when I’ve has the occasional need to report an issue. 

And I find the local fire brigade works quite well too. Make sure you ring at 03.00, get ‘em out of their slumbers. Bone idle fuckers!

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, perth_white said:

5 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Sent my Dad a WhatsApp to let him know and he's not happy about Wyresdale being built on, to quote "nothing's scared".

He captained Wyresdale to the treble that year. It's something that I'm bizarrely proud of, I've no idea why 

So, knowing your dad would be upset, you told him anyway? 

• 1 year later...