Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sat navs

only1swanny

From when Waze wasn't owned by google, the differentiator was that Waze is more interactive, lets people interact/post issues real time which update straight away, google maps is more reactive/generalised/aggregated. Probably why Google bought them

• Site Supporter

I just tried Google Maps to plan a journey to Dover and then the same journey with Waze. Over half hour time difference in predicted arrival time; 4hours 31 mins by Waze and 5h 08m by Google Maps. Different routes too so whilst both may be Google, they aren’t using the same mapping system. As @Gonk states, Waze is interactive (by someone other than the driver) and is immediate info for folk on same route.

54 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I just tried Google Maps to plan a journey to Dover and then the same journey with Waze. Over half hour time difference in predicted arrival time; 4hours 31 mins by Waze and 5h 08m by Google Maps. Different routes too so whilst both may be Google, they aren’t using the same mapping system. As @Gonk states, Waze is interactive (by someone other than the driver) and is immediate info for folk on same route.

Use Google Maps then, you'll get there half an hour quicker.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Google is allowing for the diversion down Bradshawgate. You need to tell it you've retired from firefighting 👍

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
On 04/11/2021 at 08:36, L/H White said:

I thought Swanny would be a A-Z man with his intellect

polar opposite.. I use maps for walking etc but for driving sat nav just makes it much easier. 

Anyway opted for the Tom Tom Go Expert, £310 but hooks upto my phone for live traffic updates etc. The amount of use it get's I thought I may as well invest, especially with all these new laws being brought in about phones and driving..