Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Atmosphere across Europe

Mounts Kipper

Heysel and Hillsborough. Fuck all to do with “woke”

Massive shame when you watch the video of the away end at Wrexham that day

That said, if all this hadn’t happened, I wouldnt have spent 10 or 12 seasons playing weekend dad with my two daughters and travelling the country on kids n flids 

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2021 at 19:34, Marc505 said:

It's been like that for yonks really hasn't it? Notice how many of the European ultras have UK or England  flags amongst their masses, they idolise our "original" scene.

The rise of the ultra scene in France is really interesting and worth keeping an eye on. Always had ultra groups but there's a game-stopping incident every weekend at the moment.

And again tonight.

Clubs on the continent embrace their fans and ultra scene. They give them safe standing and let them have massive flags and all the other shenanigans that goes on.

We have one barely tasty game v wigan and every fucker gets slapped with a membership scheme and the banning orders come out. All because 3 plastic bottles got thrown at a member of the IRA.

That's the difference. 

14 hours ago, gonzo said:

Clubs on the continent embrace their fans and ultra scene. They give them safe standing and let them have massive flags and all the other shenanigans that goes on.

We have one barely tasty game v wigan and every fucker gets slapped with a membership scheme and the banning orders come out. All because 3 plastic bottles got thrown at a member of the IRA.

That's the difference. 

Tbf it's probably worth pointing out that - by the standards of the Lyon game yesterday, at least - the Wigan game might have been abandoned if any of the bottles had connected as that was only a plastic bottle as well.

16 hours ago, gonzo said:

That's the difference. 

You are of course correct Sir but when the culture has created a nation of sheep then what can one expect?

Edited by captainmed

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, kent_white said:

I find the whole concept of 'ultras' a bit cringey if I'm honest. 

Aye.

I get that things have changed here since all seater stadiums, and 'singing sections' and safe standing are all looked at, but grounds do tend to have their noisier sections anyway.

I understand some feel things have become too restrictive now, and that's worthy of being revisited, but it's all a bit super fan/shit fan for me.

• Site Supporter

I laughed during the build up to our first European campaign when one or two Bulgarians joined our throng. Weren’t they from Plovdiv Ultra’s Lauta Hools? I mean, if you’re having an organised group of like-minded supporters, don’t label them hools or hooligans*, it’ll get you in a world of shit both with local police and opposition groups of like-minded supporters.

*I guess hooligan doesn’t translate too well.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, DazBob said:

What do you need to do to officially become an ultra rather than just a passionate fan?

I'm with Kent, I find the term a bit cringey.  It's up there with England's 'Barmy' Army.

Well, there’s another thing; if you attended a test match and were in the same stand as the Barmy Army, could you join in with the fun and frivolity or is it a closed shop ?

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

What do you need to do to officially become an ultra rather than just a passionate fan?

I'm with Kent, I find the term a bit cringey.  It's up there with England's 'Barmy' Army.

From what I've read it can be anything from as simple as filling out an application form or just standing with them at games, up to years long initiations, rising up through the ranks, fundraising and proving yourself adept at various levels of crime.

In terms of the UK based ones I'm not sure, aside from the Palace and Celtic ones that seem to be genuine groups with link ups with other clubs around Europe I think many of them are just groups people join to add some organised noise and colour like Accrington's, ahem, "ultras".

Some good books out there about it, James Montague and Tobias Jones have written really good ones on it all recently. Jones embedded himself with a Serie B side's ultras for a season it was a really interesting read.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

From what I've read it can be anything from as simple as filling out an application form or just standing with them at games, up to years long initiations, rising up through the ranks, fundraising and proving yourself adept at various levels of crime.

Right up until the last 4 words of your first paragraph I was nodding my head in agreement with being “in the barmy army” then I read being adept at various levels of crime 😂.

Love the Barmy Army - it’s on the bucket list to get away and watch England (cricket that is 😉)

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Right up until the last 4 words of your first paragraph I was nodding my head in agreement with being “in the barmy army” then I read being adept at various levels of crime 😂.

Love the Barmy Army - it’s on the bucket list to get away and watch England (cricket that is 😉)

The gf has been away to Australia with them a couple of times on their tours and said its a great laugh, with no real expectation that you're stuck with them for the whole trip you can come and go from the games/events/piss ups as you please. The Christmas Day beach bbq sounded ace!

I did a disservice to some ultra groups there actually not all of them are affiliated to crime, loads are major parts of the social fabric of their towns getting involved in raising money for new schools and hospitals etc.

Some are out and out murderers, like.

I sit somewhere in the middle on this debate.

I hate what Hart is trying to do to the club. 

At the same time I don’t want to be an ultra. I’m not envious of palace or any Scottish team.

Do you wanna be in my gang? Na mate

Ive heard of the barmy army, I dread to think what being in that entails.

Edited by tomski

When we played marseille their ultras where in town.. they all had the same hoody on. They were drinking in the elephant and castle when one stood up shouted a few things and they all left en mass.. never work here, people would be telling him to fuck off they've not finished their pint.

1 minute ago, Ghana White said:

When we played marseille their ultras where in town.. they all had the same hoody on. They were drinking in the elephant and castle when one stood up shouted a few things and they all left en mass.. never work here, people would be telling him to fuck off they've not finished their pint.

Exactly. It's like that Magdeburg lot that marched from town up CNR to the ground, could you be arsed? 575.

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, tomski said:

I sit somewhere in the middle on this debate.

I hate what Hart is trying to do to the club. 

At the same time I don’t want to be an ultra. I’m not envious of palace or any Scottish team.

Do you wanna be in my gang? Na mate

Ive heard of the barmy army, I dread to think what being in that entails.

As above, the barmy army has many benefits, but, as far as I'm aware, no strange mason-like initiation ceremonies. 

On 04/11/2021 at 19:16, Mounts Kipper said:

Currently watching the Brondby v Rangers game and the stadium is bouncing, seems similar right across Europe but when I watch UK games the atmosphere isn’t comparable it seems to me we’ve lost something, we were once the most passionate fans here in the UK and now we are nowhere near. 

Watched the Leicester Vs Warsaw Legia game last night. The Poles made a noise all the way through the game. Even after the game when everyone had gone home. No doubt singing about how tough they are and politics. They also lit hundreds of flares and openly took on the local law enforcement with some good old fashion windmilling. Like most fans on the continent they don't worry about the consequences of their actions because there aren't any. Unlike here were laws have been in place for decades, and now we have dictatorial membership schemes being forced upon us by Kim Jong-Hart. That's why atmospheres have gone down the pan here.