Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gerald Sinstadt RIP

Underpants

A long, long time ago before we had saturated coverage of football all we had MOTD on Saturday night, and on a Sunday afternoon we had a regional football show called Kick-off fronted by Gerald Sinstadt. No co-commentators just one man saying what he see's. It was always a big deal when we were on telly because Granada, more or less, featured the Manchester or the Merseyside two. Anyway, this game always stood out as one of the best I watched

26 minutes ago, jeep said:

Were it not Kick Off on Friday nights, and The Big Match on Sundays?

Wasn't Kick-off both Friday evening and Sunday afternoon 🤔. I may be talking bollox but i think all regional highlight progs on a Sunday had their own names. The Big Match was the London one. But later on, for uniformity, they called them all TBM.

Edited by Underpants

That was the second time I saw us play away, the first was at OT, and both times I was in the home end (I didn't have any choice).  2 games in the top flight gone, no defeats.

Anyway, great commentary from Gerald Sinstadt.  I loved watching him on Kick Off and the Kick Off Match, just made every game seem like an occasion.

I remember him being on the Bloomfield Road pitch reporting after the match on the infamous day in '74, two of my mates (one of them a police cadet) manged to blag their way out going over the pitch, one of the lads was jumping up and down on Gerald Sinstadt which really annoyed him

RIP Gerald a proper commentator

Edited by athywhite1958

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That was the second time I saw us play away, the first was at OT, and both times I was in the home end (I didn't have any choice).  2 games in the top flight gone, no defeats.

Anyway, great commentary from Gerald Sinstadt.  I loved watching him on Kick Off and the Kick Off Match, just made every game seem like an occasion.

That match is one of my fondest memories of going with my dad.  Remember him going mental when Reid knocked that last minute penalty in.  It's a sobering thought that I'm over 10 years older now than he was then! 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

That match is one of my fondest memories of going with my dad.  Remember him going mental when Reid knocked that last minute penalty in.  It's a sobering thought that I'm over 10 years older now than he was then! 

Didn’t dads always seem much more mature, age for age, than we do? I’m now looking back at milestone events in my life spent with my dad and wonder how/why I never actually grew up.
My first foreign holiday, Corfu 1972, I was 10, dad was 39. Fucking hell, I’m 20 years older now than he was then. 

Duck Egg, you’re a cunt for mashing my head! 🤣

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Didn’t dads always seem much more mature, age for age, than we do? I’m now looking back at milestone events in my life spent with my dad and wonder how/why I never actually grew up.
My first foreign holiday, Corfu 1972, I was 10, dad was 39. Fucking hell, I’m 20 years older now than he was then. 

Duck Egg, you’re a cunt for mashing my head! 🤣

😅 mate, if it's any consolation I've been wrestling with stuff like that all morning! That Liverpool win is 28 years ago now, seems like only yesterday.  28 years before I first started to go watching Wanderers there was a bloody war on! 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

😅 mate, if it's any consolation I've been wrestling with stuff like that all morning! That Liverpool win is 28 years ago now, seems like only yesterday.  28 years before I first started to go watching Wanderers there was a bloody war on! 

Said before, when I got into football in 73, 58 seemed a lifetime ago