Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

January ins and out

Rudy

6 hours ago, desperado said:

I never said he did, you mentioned January. Anyway time for some shut eye before travelling down to Wycombe in the morning. Trust I’ll be seeing you down there Mr Piddle or will you be listening to the commentary again?

Lives in Europe apparently and jets in for the odd game 🤔

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

To be fair, ‘scraped’ barely cuts it when we gave everyone half a season start.

When you’ve got an axe to grind, such trivialities such as this have to be ignored. 

I just wonder at how good @JimmyRiddleis at football and who he turns out for if he can label a professional ‘shit’. I suspect I’m going to be disappointed with the answer 😏

12 hours ago, JimmyRiddle said:

What I do know is it s not that hard to score 19 goals in the 4th division when you take penalties and play every minute

It is so easy only one player managed to score more than him last season! And he took and scored way more penalties than Doyle, so he was also bang average.

Doyle is a very good league 2 striker, age and step up means he struggles more I league 1, but we miss him when he isn't in the side. He is about a 1 in 3, 1 in 4 striker, and we create fuck all of the chances he would thrive on.

Sorry to wade into this debate late. I've always thought we look a better side with Doyle in than without it.

There's always a goal threat there which makes defenders nervous and makes space for other players. 

He does a lot of his best work when he drops deeper and brings the wide players into the game.

He makes better short runs in behind the last man than any of our other strikers - which works well for our more technical players like Lee when they're looking to thread balls through.

He works his arse off and can usually keep that pace up for a full 90 minutes.

I like him. I don't idolise him by any means - but he'd be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me if he was fit.

Saw glimpses of what Baka offers on Wednesday too - pace and power. Something a bit different - but he's a way to go before he gets in above Doyle for me.

• Members
1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

It is so easy only one player managed to score more than him last season! And he took and scored way more penalties than Doyle, so he was also bang average.

Doyle is a very good league 2 striker, age and step up means he struggles more I league 1, but we miss him when he isn't in the side. He is about a 1 in 3, 1 in 4 striker, and we create fuck all of the chances he would thrive on.

11 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Sorry to wade into this debate late. I've always thought we look a better side with Doyle in than without it.

There's always a goal threat there which makes defenders nervous and makes space for other players. 

He does a lot of his best work when he drops deeper and brings the wide players into the game.

He makes better short runs in behind the last man than any of our other strikers - which works well for our more technical players like Lee when they're looking to thread balls through.

I like him. I don't idolise him by any means - but he'd be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me if he was fit.

Saw glimpses of what Baka offers on Wednesday too - pace and power. Something a bit different - but he's a way to go before he gets in above Doyle for me.

Stop talking sense you pair of clowns 

22 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Thanks Kent, you saved me a lot of typing there.

Good post

The reason Doyle hasnt scored as many this is we arent creating as many chances for him. He spends half the game isoalted while we piss about with the ball for 20 mins, give it dapo and he either shoots himself or gets twatted before he can release the ball.

Once Doyle gets a chance its invariably missed as his legs have ceased up whilst hes been stood chatting to their center back half the game.

Hes an out and out sniffer. Needs loads of balls in and around him, off the shoulder runs. Defl then Babayoko were meant to be his link men but theyre fucking shit.

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Rudy said:

Dapo central, I’ve seen this said a few times and it’s based on nothing . He’s a winger, who scores is goals when he cuts inside , totally different role from the No.10

Indeed. He did it well against Gillingham doing it, and we mentioned it then. Evatt also discussed it as a possibility. It is where he started. 

As it is, it's now either him or Kachunga until the others are fit.

With Sheehan out for the season, & into next most likely it's time to drag Darcy back. Now.

No, I'm not believing he's God's gift, but if he's going to make it, ever, then here's his chance to show something.

We need 5 proper players in January, loans or buys. It was achieved last January, let's do it again.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

With Sheehan out for the season, & into next most likely it's time to drag Darcy back. Now.

No, I'm not believing he's God's gift, but if he's going to make it, ever, then here's his chance to show something.

We need 5 proper players in January, loans or buys. It was achieved last January, let's do it again.

Darcys season as finished in Scandinavia now but won’t be registered in the squad so will be out till January Any way  Same with politic