Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fleetwood (A)

Leyther_Matt

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Rudy said:

We played Blackburn years ago, David Dunn on the right wing attacking the south stand got fuckin dogs abuse for 45 mins, towards the end he swung in a corner and they scored to turned round to the ESL and gave it the big un, some of our fans went absolutely mental. I thought fair play we were asking for it, all part of the game 

Fair point.

Get a bit, give a bit. 

Just seems excessive now, a goal in a fairly nondescript game, and an immediate mission to go to the opposing fans to celebrate 'large'.

There was a time when over exuberant celebrations would get a card for just such reasons, but that seems to have gone now.

Prefer to have my own team's scorers celebrate with us.

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fair point.

Get a bit, give a bit. 

Just seems excessive now, a goal in a fairly nondescript game, and an immediate mission to go to the opposing fans to celebrate 'large'.

There was a time when over exuberant celebrations would get a card for just such reasons, but that seems to have gone now.

Prefer to have my own team's scorers celebrate with us.

I’d just give the finger on lips ear or cupping the ear. That seems to rile fans up without getting a booking 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Vinnie Jones got plenty from the Manny Rd North when Wimbledon beat us in the League Cup & celebrated in front of us laughing at us when he scored. Loved players like that. 

Remember him and fashanu on the touch line waiting to take a throw in. Someone was getting some treatment so the game was paused. They finished up conducting the chorus of "Vinny Jones, you're a wanker...". Ended up with the many road giving them a huge round of applause as they grinned from ear to ear.

28 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Vinnie Jones got plenty from the Manny Rd North when Wimbledon beat us in the League Cup & celebrated in front of us laughing at us when he scored. Loved players like that. 

Wimbledon were excellent, they got dog's abuse from the Manny Rd N & gave plenty back, but at the end of the game Jones & the rest of them came over & applauded us & in turn, were applauded by us. I think they were the only ones who ever did that.

They were also very,very good that night, much better than the bunch of cloggers that the press depicted them as.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Wimbledon were excellent, they got dog's abuse from the Manny Rd N & gave plenty back, but at the end of the game Jones & the rest of them came over & applauded us & in turn, were applauded by us. I think they were the only ones who ever did that.

They were also very,very good that night, much better than the bunch of cloggers that the press depicted them as.

They were indeed. Very strong and quick.

12 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Vinny Jones was a much better footballer than he was often given credit  for imo.

He was dismissed by many as a clogger, but he could ping passes all over the place & if you wanted someone to do a man to man marking job, Vinny was your man.

I wish we had a Vinny Jones type player right now.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Vinny Jones was a much better footballer than he was often given credit  for imo.

He was dismissed by many as a clogger, but he could ping passes all over the place & if you wanted someone to do a man to man marking job, Vinny was your man.

I wish we had a Vinny Jones type player right now.

This day and age, and particularly with the standard of reffing below Championship level, he’d never get in the team for suspensions.

18 minutes ago, MickyD said:

This day and age, and particularly with the standard of reffing below Championship level, he’d never get in the team for suspensions.

Yeh i see what you’re saying Mickey, the game has changed and not for the better.

Plus these days, Referees want to be the “Star of the show” rather than the players.

VJ would probably be sent off every week if he was playing now.

One thing is for sure though, if we had a team of players with Vinnys work ethic and bottle, we wouldn’t be hearing “Boton get battered everywhere they go” ever again.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

12 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Wimbledon were awesome that night. I was blown away by how fast, efficient and ruthless they were. Knew from minute 1 we weren't going to be able to live with them.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Wimbledon were awesome that night. I was blown away by how fast, efficient and ruthless they were. Knew from minute 1 we weren't going to be able to live with them.

Had we already beaten the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc., in cup competitions and so, as fans, approached this game expecting it to be another top team to the sword? It was almost expected just as Oldham in FACup QF had been.

11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Had we already beaten the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Tottenham, etc., in cup competitions and so, as fans, approached this game expecting it to be another top team to the sword? It was almost expected just as Oldham in FACup QF had been.

Are people not on about the 1992 league Cup one when we won 1-0 away after getting beat 3-0 at home?

Think reeves scored

8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Are people not on about the 1992 league Cup one when we won 1-0 away after getting beat 3-0 at home?

Think reeves scored

League Cup quarter final in 97 according to a quick google, Wombles won 2 nil. Pretty sure that's the one. Wasn't that Todd's title winning side?

3 minutes ago, perth_white said:

League Cup quarter final in 97 according to a quick google, Wombles won 2 nil. Pretty sure that's the one. Wasn't that Todd's title winning side?

Yeah after we had beaten spurs and Chelsea.

Thought people earlier in the thread were referencing the 1992 one. 

• The topic was unpinned