Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fleetwood (A)

Leyther_Matt

14 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Every fuckers forwards are far sharper! They hadn't won in 11 matches, just because they looked good against us doesn't mean they are. 

Well we agree on that!  I accept we're weakened at the moment - Williams, Jones in particular, also Baka - but if your strikers are poor and you're keeper and full backs are below average, and your central midfield is weak - we don't currently start any games in this league with necessarily better players.  Santos, Aimson, Lee, Dapo and Kachunga on good days are arguably "better" than average (others may disagree, fair enough). I'll make an exception for Crewe and Doncaster who were generally dire.

14 hours ago, desperado said:

Just back, got the kids to bed and just about to settle down for an hour of The Ashes.  Hopefully a good first hour might erase some of the disappointment!

A good night all round then 😃  I settled down to watch the re-run this morning and the 3rd wicket was my cue to sack it.

Sometimes sport is shit isn't it.

4 hours ago, Traf said:

Everyone in this league knows we're weak and that we're dreadfully short at right back. Everytime they got the ball last night in the first half, they knocked it long down their left to get in behind Gordon, who was that far away from being in the RB position that he probably had to pay to get back in the ground.

The difference is that they spotted that and exploited it.

It was incredible just how often DJ was in 30 yards of space in the second half and we just resolutely refused to pass it in his direction. That said, his body position is consistently poor when receiving the ball and he ends up coming back towards where the ball has come from rather than opening his body up and taking it straight down the line.

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

Doyle is phoning it in. I'd loan him out to Div 2, his level.

I've tried to cut him a lot of slack due to how good he was last year but I just can't see him turning this poor run of form around.

He's not particularly good at holding the ball up and he's little pace to speak of but his ability in front of goal and his work ethic has got him by.  Now he's not looking deadly in the box, what's he offering? Seemingly a lot less than many opposition forwards we see giving our defence a much harder time week after week.

14 hours ago, desperado said:

Our pretty stuff was rarely going to work and because we’ve only had a few days working on the new shape and playing a more direct game, it showed that we were incapable today of doing what we needed to do to get a win. However, without the sending off I think we could have sneaked something out of it.

I do think with a good right back, MJ, and Bakayoko we would have handled this game much better - that’s with this set of players. Add to that a midfield leader and a creative number 10 which must be a priority in the window, we will not only add quality to our usual style but also add a bit of grit and leadership to handle games like that one this evening better.

That's a decent summary, but the facts don't support that bit.  Away from home, we don't come back and equalise in the 2nd half.  Not just this season but going back to those games that nearly cost us promotion at Newport and Grimsby.  We can hide behind injuries, poor conditions, sending off but nothing has changed for many many months and that's that we don't have the type of game that means we get shots or headers on goal (away) if the opposition have a lead to defend.  Nothing to suggest we would suddenly have burst into life simply because the game was coming to an end. 

8 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Thought that myself last night, Dapo hasn’t played well for weeks now

In his last game he played well - Doncaster - one of the best assists of the season, involved in 3rd goal, got their man sent off etc.  Suspended for Cheltenham.  A class above against Stockport at home.  Bobbins away, agreed on that.  Plays as if he's just got out of bed away recently, like the team much of the time.

7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We must be the easiest team in the league for an opposition manager to motivate his players with his pre match talk-

“ Right lads, get in their faces & don’t give them time on the ball. When we get chance, get it wide & put some crosses into their box, because they’re shit at the back. Oh, and their gaffer reckons they’re the best team in the league”

We struggle when we face a team who works hard and closes us down. We have to earn the right to play our pretty football by matching the oppositions work ethic man for man.

On Sky Sports, whenever we've been behind in the last couple of months, that quote gets mentioned with much glee, either by the presenter (Julian) or the reporter at the game.  Its not going to go away any time soon.  

6 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

100% on both, think it was their number 38 who was especially being a cunt.

I don't get why clear goading of opposition supporters isn't a bookable offence, or at least a disciplinary offence to be punished after the game.  You get booked for taking your shirt off to reveal you love your mum but if you incite 4000 opposition fans that's absolutely fine.

25 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't get why clear goading of opposition supporters isn't a bookable offence, or at least a disciplinary offence to be punished after the game.  You get booked for taking your shirt off to reveal you love your mum but if you incite 4000 opposition fans that's absolutely fine.

It is, but for some reason has just been completely ignored time and again this season.

That said, there's no excusing the fact that if you chuck summat on the pitch (and there were a lot of other items besides the plastic bottles) then you're an utter weapon. Flick the Vs, call them a cunt, whatever, but if you're lobbing a coin because some YTS teenager is cupping his ears in your general direction then you need a bit of a look at yourself (not you Johnny, of course!).

2 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Complaining about an opposition player goading you. Fuck me.

I think there is sliding on your knees with your hands behind your ears and then there is flicking the Vs and doing the wanker thing with your hands. Last night was weird as they had not been given any shit but it was as though some of our fans had bummed their wives and/or dogs.

Water of a ducks back to me personally but last night was OTT. 

25 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Nobody is complaining. Just dont complain when fans react.

I've seen posts demanding they are booked.  Haha, proper snitchy schoolboy stuff that is.

I think it's ace when players do it, especially ours.  Used to love it when Diouf did it every time.  It's just pantomime.

Grown-ups in the crowd reacting by throwing anything in their direction need to have a good long look at themselves.

Edited by DazBob

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

Absolutely bang on.

This "brand" doesnt work at places like Fleetwood and Stockport and against teams who will get in our faces.

The players arent good enough to execute the brand againts all opposition. We have to learn to change this so called brand when the going gets tough.

This innovative brand is actually outdated. Teams have learnt how to play against it, just like teams worked out how to bombard city a couple of years ago until they evolved a new way to counter the high press.

That piece of play the other week with us trying to play short tippy tappy bollocks in the middle of a boating lake summed it completely.

It works against Crewe at home on a massive bowling green pitch. Away in the middle of the Irish sea it does not.

The set pieces are an absolute shambles as well. 

Like has been said loads, they simply had more bollocks than us last night. Im not sure how Evatt can instill that without bringing in recruits.

Agree with every word.  I'd be surprised if anyone could disagree with any part of that.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Mantra said:

Dont think anyone is denying we have problems. Evatt and the squad are not performing to the levels they should be doing.

These individual results like Wigan, Stockport and now Fleetwood are very damaging to our squad mentality and if we have too many more it risks fully derailing our season, even if overall we are mid table in terms of points.

It’s hard to pinpoint whether that lack of fight is coming from the players or lack of motivation from the manager. Think Evatt deserves the chance to try and fix it in January. Some may disagree but for me all that does is add uncertainty.

I can’t blame anyone for having a pop at Evatt even though I think he’s the right man for the job because the fans and club are getting embarrassed by some of these results.

If Wigan, Stockport and Fleetwood had happened over the season I think he might have got away with it, but coming one after the other almost It shows how lightweight we are in terms of bottle, determination and wanting to win.

As has been said many times we need a scrapper, captain, and leader all rolled into one.

6 hours ago, Traf said:

I never for one minute expected us to be challenging at the top end. I expected us to be where we are (3rd quarter of the league), so on that score I have no issues.

I'm pissed off because we look like a soft touch, we've no fight in us and we constantly get the basics wrong. When we got to the PL under Allardyce, everything and everyone had to count every game, set pieces became so important. I haven't seen a team in this division look worse than us off set plays yet.

I'm with you, satisfied with our position, I had us in 17th on the pre-season predictions (realistically that's where we are given Wimbledon have 2 games in hand).  Not that I expect us to stay there, most teams are worse than I expected so I'd hope to finish higher.  But its pathetic how no defender has even had a threat on goal from a set piece, never mind a goal.  Someone said only Crewe are as bad as us on that (2 each, but I bet they didn't go all of last season without any too).  Ours were provided by Sheehan, so our potency is now even worse!  Seems incredible that Sheehan is the only player who has delivered an effective set piece in a season and a half.

• Members
2 hours ago, DazBob said:

I've seen posts demanding they are booked.  Haha, proper snitchy schoolboy stuff that is.

I think it's ace when players do it, especially ours.  Used to love it when Diouf did it every time.  It's just pantomime.

Grown-ups in the crowd reacting by throwing anything in their direction need to have a good long look at themselves.

We played Blackburn years ago, David Dunn on the left wing attacking the south stand got fuckin dogs abuse for 45 mins, towards the end he swung in a corner and they scored to turned round to the ESL and gave it the big un, some of our fans went absolutely mental. I thought fair play we were asking for it, all part of the game 

Edited by Rudy

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

It is, but for some reason has just been completely ignored time and again this season.

That said, there's no excusing the fact that if you chuck summat on the pitch (and there were a lot of other items besides the plastic bottles) then you're an utter weapon. Flick the Vs, call them a cunt, whatever, but if you're lobbing a coin because some YTS teenager is cupping his ears in your general direction then you need a bit of a look at yourself (not you Johnny, of course!).

I agree 100%. I was just taking the 2 incidents separately.  Ban anyone that chucks something on the pitch or in the direction of someone, but definitely get the book out for celebrating in the faces of other fans.

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

Complaining about an opposition player goading you. Fuck me.

I think its more that I would complain if an opposition player gave an "excuse" for some of the dicks that follow us to get even angrier than they already are, and chuck stuff on the pitch and/or seek out confrontation outside the ground.  Our reputation is bad enough and we don't need it.