Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Accrington Stanley away

Marc505

12 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Problem is the spine of our team is weak we need a centre half who can lead the defence Santos is not that type , MJ needs a battling no nonsense partner in midfield again what we have are not that type and a goal scorer our strikers will not hit double figures this season if we don’t sort out the spine of the team results like yesterday will continue we have been sussed out!

As for Dixon as other posters have stated more pressing problems than him !

My brother-in-Law said exactly the same yesterday, Allardyce built his team around a strong spine, a centre half and a strong hard partner for MJ who can talk and boss players would be welcomed additions 

Guest Nordkurve
5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve not seen an away goal since AFC Wimbledon or an away win since WBA on the opening day of the season 74 years ago. It’s wearing very thin now.

Shrewsbury my next away day - don’t go if you don’t like losing and scoring 0

74 Years ago ? I feel your pain :)

Dixon is one of the biggest issues for me

I’m fact it’s absolutely crucial 

He doesn’t inspire any confidence in those in front of him and you can see a huge difference in Santos et al without the likes of Gilkes and his organisation 

He’s not a great stopper either for me

We stop shipping soft goals early on and the whole games are reframed; the opposition can’t sit deep and frustrate us etc 

20 minutes ago, L/H White said:

A goal keeper is way down on the list of priorities

Not for me; as per my previous post I think it helps sort the whole defence out. Particularly the CB’s and I can’t see us getting another when we have Santos, Johnston and Aimson as well as Baptiste as cover

It’s all about opinions but I’d go:

Crucial: striker, goalkeeper & CM

Then another right back if poss

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, 1969 said:

On a side note Thought their stewards were top class took abit of banter in the way it should be

Crown pub was descent with a mix of supporters (about 80% bolton)

My one gripe was only 12 Bogs for 1800 fans in the terrace.Christ I've not danced like that for years in that que

Wife and I were allowed in the left hand side. Roof on,  great view although a little low for me. 

Stewards were great. Came round with a tin of Quality Street. Top hospitality. The only issue was the toilets being behind their end. Seemed strange each section not using its own ablutions. 

Even the GMP folk were in on the'being nice' thing. 

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Wife and I were allowed in the left hand side. Roof on,  great view although a little low for me. 

Stewards were great. Came round with a tin of Quality Street. Top hospitality. The only issue was the toilets being behind their end. Seemed strange each section not using its own ablutions. 

Things like this help to make it a good day rather than being treated like a criminal when most are their to enjoy the game and have abit of a laugh

38 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If we are going to get a defender in make it a wily old pro, leader and communicator, perhaps what was what they were looking for when we were looking at Jagielka, given he’s doing ok at championship level that would have been a great signing. 

You’d have thought Baptiste fits that bill already really. That’s what disappoints me so much, that we have players with so much experience but aren’t stepping up to the plate. They should have been chucking each other round the dressing room at half time but nobody looks capable of it.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You’d have thought Baptiste fits that bill already really. That’s what disappoints me so much, that we have players with so much experience but aren’t stepping up to the plate. They should have been chucking each other round the dressing room at half time but nobody looks capable of it.

100% this 

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Baptiste isn’t that vocal on the pitch but wasn’t he rumoured to have called Sarce out at Plymouth? 

Bolton have problems all over the park.The only particular strength of the team that finished third in the 4th Division was the two full backs but Declan John has regressed since then.He looks to be one of those players who gives maximum effort when working for a new contract but coasts through life when he's got one.

Of all the problems the main weakness for me is the low quality of the attacking players.If Bolton had Walker, Lee and McGinlay up front as they did at one time in the 3rd Division, then they could get away with Williams ducking out of a header at Accrington to win 2-1

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Baptiste isn’t that vocal on the pitch but wasn’t he rumoured to have called Sarce out at Plymouth? 

So the rumour goes, but I suppose he was on safe ground in that situation knowing the gaffer would have been on his side and Sarcevic unlikely to have (m)any allies 

35 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Nice story.  Be nice if it caught on elsewhere! 

I was impressed last time how organised Accy were on and off the pitch. For a club of their stature, it's incredible what they continue to achieve.  

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Didn't go to the game. Watched the highlights this morning. Dixon at fault for the goal. Shocking goalkeeping. 

The attacker does well by nipping in between defenders- the only one anticipating it.

MJ doesn't try, the defender watches and the keeper just expects the ball to come into his hands. No one attempts to actually win the ball.

Shit all round.

To put this away run into numbers.

An accumulator on us losing all 6 is approaching odds of 400/1.

Losing them all without scoring would make you a substantial SIX FIGURE amount off a relatively small stake. 

That’s how bad it is.

Edited by captainmed

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

He doesn’t inspire any confidence in those in front of him and you can see a huge difference in Santos et al without the likes of Gilkes and his organisation 

We stop shipping soft goals early on and the whole games are reframed; the opposition can’t sit deep and frustrate us etc 

Absolutely bang on. He’s incapable of commanding his box and is particularly poor on crosses but most importantly he just doesn’t communicate. When you’re playing in a back line, life is so much easier with a vocal keeper.

In fairness to Evatt, he spotted the flaws in the squad last January, hopefully he pulls it out the bag again this season. 

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

100 % agree,he doesnt command his area at all, most goal kicks baptiste was telling him what to do,and his distribution is awful, i think i would rather have kevin rose between the sticks

but unfortunately there are more urgent matters  i think we need 1 keeper and big bully of a centre half,2 dominant midfielders and at least 1 striker