Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

24 minutes ago, Ani said:

Imagine we would have beat this lot if Evatt had not lost the dressing room !

He has lost the dressing I thought people were saying. Team spirit shot since Sarce left I heard. 

Come on let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. 

We have won 2 games in the last 9 in the league and both were at home to relegation fodder.

We have also suffered humiliation in the FA Cup.

I accept that we are struggling terribly with injuries but the reaction to a home draw with Cheltenham shows how far the bar has been lowered.

8 minutes ago, captainmed said:

We have won 2 games in the last 9 in the league and both were at home to relegation fodder.

I accept that we are struggling terribly with injuries but the reaction to a home draw with Cheltenham shows how far the bar has been lowered.

But clearly there is still a good spirit and togetherness in the squad. I was as worried as anyone after Sarcevic and the Stockport replay performance but they are definitely giving their best for Evatt. 

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

That has fuck all to be with my post . I said yesterday the reaction to beating 10 man Doncaster was OTT. Whatever the quality of the opposition the few players we have left our putting a real shift in which a few on here and elsewhere were saying would not happen as IE had lost the dressing room

14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Anyone see the size of one of our subs warming up in the 1st half yesterday, he was no bigger than the corner flag, looked like an under 12's.

Mitchell Henry.

I thought we have signed 4 hobbits, the young kids on the bench even warmed up on their own. One of them stood next to Santos at one time, fair to say although it might the angle but pretty sure Rico is bigger. 

Think the positivity last night was as much about it being a better performance and result than expected. I certainly wasn't fooled by Crewe or Donny.

We've got to start games better though, still our Achilles heel. Something like 15 of last 20 games we've let first goal in, more often than not in first 15 minutes

55 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Anyone see the size of one of our subs warming up in the 1st half yesterday, he was no bigger than the corner flag, looked like an under 12's.

Mitchell Henry.

Had a couple of cameos already in the pizza cup. 

He's got some pace on him but agreed he makes oztumer look massive 

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Mitchell Henry.

Matthew Tweedly makes him look massive.

At the legends game I was convinced it was one of the players 12yr old kids getting a run out. 

6 hours ago, L/H White said:

A player left the scottish prem for Salford while they were in the conference

Adam Rooney, Aberdeen to Salford and scored 29 goals.  Moved to Solihull last year. 

We only notice the players that leave a higher level to go to the conference and think "its for the money", I wonder how many have had the chance to earn more at that level but refuse to drop out of the league.

3 hours ago, captainmed said:

You seem to be a constant glass half empty guy. I'm sure you wouldn't have gone OTT if we had lost either.

I can only comment on what I saw and I thought we played better (going forwards at least) against a team above us than we did against Donny or Crewe. With less players available.  So I was pleased with the result. Might only have been Cheltenham but they have put a decent run together across this league. 

13 minutes ago, Zico said:

Signed as a free agent in October on a short term contract till January 

Unbelievable that he was out of contract at the start of the season and only has a short term deal - he was the standout player on the pitch. I know you shouldn’t make your mind up on a player off 1 game but I really wouldn’t be disappointed to see him added to the ranks in Jan and it doesn’t seem like it would be a difficult deal to sort.

Most of it has been said about the game, changed when Evatt made the switch to 3 at the back, we absolutely dominated after that. Gordon is decent going forward but poor positionally and has a bad habit of standing 4 foot away from the winger and letting them shoot /cross - he’s also massively a confidence player and you can see it change even within a game.

Kachunga is the key for me though, he’s definitely been getting better and threatening to play like that for a few games and fair play to Evatt for sticking with him and giving him the time to find his confidence - he was very good yesterday and I think there’s more to come, he’s clearly got more in him than League 1 based on his career and hopefully Evatt keeps improving him.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Ani said:

That has fuck all to be with my post . I said yesterday the reaction to beating 10 man Doncaster was OTT. Whatever the quality of the opposition the few players we have left our putting a real shift in which a few on here and elsewhere were saying would not happen as IE had lost the dressing room

Whether there were issues in the dressing room or not, the performances had dropped right off. It coincided with the Sarc incident, and it did seem all wasn't well for a time.

It is perfectly possible and disquiet has been resolved and folk have moved on. It is also possible that there hasn't been an issue, but other teams were simply better.

Confidence was lacking. The way we started the last two games illustrates there is still work to do, but the way we have played for large parts of those games shows there is still plenty of ability in there. 

As with last year, things seem to happen offensively when Thomason plays, and yesterday, I thought the signs were there of a promising partnership with Lee. We seem more balanced and his defensive work is better than what Sarc and Sheehan offer.

He deserves some game time, even if we don't always get the results we want.

57 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I've looked at Crowley's career stats, he's played at a reasonable level abroad and championship over here. Certainly stands up to being more than capable at L1 level.

I suspect he'll not be short of suitors in Jan if that's a standard performance from him

He doesn't seem to play ninety minutes.

Fitness issue?

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Doyle has served his purpose

time to move on 

Not going to be easy to replace with our finances. He's missing a few, but we still look a better team when he plays. Will need someone who can fit in in both capacities. 

He wasn't alone yesterday: that was my main concern overall, everyone was slashing at them, or making powderpuff attempts. 

We had a lot of chances and only Doyle really worked the keeper, and he should have done better.

6 hours ago, captainmed said:

We are a mid table league 1 club ravaged by injuries.

The bar you speak of was raised far too high to begin with.

This is our 93/94 season. Mid table and a decent cup run. Papa johns obviously :)

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not going to be easy to replace with our finances. He's missing a few, but we still look a better team when he plays. Will need someone who can fit in in both capacities. 

He wasn't alone yesterday: that was my main concern overall, everyone was slashing at them, or making powderpuff attempts. 

We had a lot of chances and only Doyle really worked the keeper, and he should have done better.

Oh god loads of slashing and less composure 

For me a 3year deal was always too much for him but that’s the only reason we got him, he played a big part last season so it’s paid off but if someone came on for him I wouldn’t lose sleep