Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Oh god loads of slashing and less composure 

For me a 3year deal was always too much for him but that’s the only reason we got him, he played a big part last season so it’s paid off but if someone came on for him I wouldn’t lose sleep 

Worth a place as a Miller type sub but we do need better to progress. I like Doyle but he is limited in what he offers

18 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Worth a place as a Miller type sub but we do need better to progress. I like Doyle but he is limited in what he offers

True but we are going to need him for the foreseeable future , Baka is injury prone Doyle does give reliability limited or not.Can’t see us pushing the boat out in January .Patience required as we are a definitely a work in progress.

Should have scored yesterday from Kachuga’s pass but all strikers miss chances & he doesn’t get that many.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

True but we are going to need him for the foreseeable future , Baka is injury prone Doyle does give reliability limited or not.Can’t see us pushing the boat out in January .Patience required as we are a definitely a work in progress.

Should have scored yesterday from Kachuga’s pass but all strikers miss chances & he doesn’t get that many.

Agree. Though he did have a few yesterday, which the keeper was equal to. I think the pass from Kachunga should have been burried though. Got it all wrong.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Doyle contributed a lot yesterday in terms of offering an outlet and holding the ball up. But if we’re going to persist with one man up top then we really need someone who’s going to finish the chances that fall his way. 

Absolutely

He would be good in a partnership as Swindon played him

all this offering an outlet and running his socks off is great but he’s missing great chances 

It's the half yard of pace that Doyle lacks that causes him either to stretch and not strike the ball as cleanly as he'd like or not get on to it at all. Wouldn't think he's ever been lightning over his career, flat footed running gait goes against him, but even less so at 33. 

Been three or four occasions in games where balls have been put across into areas where the player of that ball could reasonably expect the striker to be on to and he's been a couple of feet short. A couple from John on Tuesday and yesterday I can recall, one that their lad May would have gobbled up. 

My concern with all the talk about Stockton really, could end up investing a wedge on somebody of a similar sort of profile then being stuck with him if we go up a level and he can't. Could no doubt get 10-15 in a team like ours that could help us get promoted but wouldn't see him as a Championship level performer. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

It's the half yard of pace that Doyle lacks that causes him either to stretch and not strike the ball as cleanly as he'd like or not get on to it at all. Wouldn't think he's ever been lightning over his career, flat footed running gait goes against him, but even less so at 33. 

Been three or four occasions in games where balls have been put across into areas where the player of that ball could reasonably expect the striker to be on to and he's been a couple of feet short. A couple from John on Tuesday and yesterday I can recall, one that their lad May would have gobbled up. 

My concern with all the talk about Stockton really, could end up investing a wedge on somebody of a similar sort of profile then being stuck with him if we go up a level and he can't. Could no doubt get 10-15 in a team like ours that could help us get promoted but wouldn't see him as a Championship level performer. 

Maybe that's a case of "so be it". Will we attract a striker of sufficient quality whilst still in league one, particularly whilst we're not paying big money?

If we were doing well enough to get promoted, and a striker was scoring plenty, he'd likely do OK one level up anyway. 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Correct - decent strikers cost or you have to wait until they are out of contract and pay them handsomely. 

I hear the talk re Stockton but suspect we'll see what the options are and spend any limited funds on keeping Amaechi until summer. I'd be happy with that. Doyle isn't a duffer by any means

9 minutes ago, desperado said:

Some great clips here of Thomason yesterday. He really did have a good game. We are lucky to have him. 

He’s been better since he stopped playing as a rigid CDM I’ve said it before he’s box to box and similar type to Mcateer. Funnily enough both came through non league. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
35 minutes ago, desperado said:

Some great clips here of Thomason yesterday. He really did have a good game. We are lucky to have him. 

Was excellent all game. MOTM for me hopefully remember his age and that he’s learning his craft 

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

He’s been better since he stopped playing as a rigid CDM I’ve said it before he’s box to box and similar type to Mcateer. Funnily enough both came through non league. 

Agree with that. Perhaps maturing, perhaps a slight change in approach from Evatt.

Maybe those three centre halves helped yesterday too.

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Didn’t I say he played well and complimented him? Doyle has missed sitters from the off this season 

Kachunga's previous criticism was valid; not necessarily because he wasn't scoring but because at times he didn't appear to be working hard or was pulling out of challenges.

Upped his game now, much like Isgrove did last year, and deserves his praise. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Was excellent all game. MOTM for me hopefully remember his age and that he’s learning his craft 

This time last year I thought he was a million miles from being ready for L2.

He obviously listens to his manager and senior players. He's still got at least a couple of years physical development yet.

I reckon in time, he'll have a large championship career

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Kachunga's previous criticism was valid; not necessarily because he wasn't scoring but because at times he didn't appear to be working hard or was pulling out of challenges.

Upped his game now, much like Isgrove did last year, and deserves his praise. 

Spot on

Can’t show displeasure on here though 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

He obviously listens to his manager and senior players. He's still got at least a couple of years physical development yet.

Looks bigger already for me. Seems broader across the shoulders.

Still needs to strengthen though.

• Site Supporter
Just now, radcliffe white said:

Spot on

Can’t show displeasure on here though 

That's what we're here for!

I don't necessarily agree with some of the stick that Doyle gets, but he isn't getting the goals so some criticism will come.

So long as we discuss here, and support in the ground, then we're doing things right.

• Members
34 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Yeah it’s great to see.

Santos, Isgrove, Kachunga none of them hit the ground running, and quite rightly got criticism, buts it’s testament to IE the coaches and the players 

Great faith shown in them

Edited by Rudy

55 minutes ago, desperado said:

46 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I like GT & he's getting better, just wish he'd play with his head up a bit more, he has an unusual gait for a young player.

54 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Looks bigger already for me. Seems broader across the shoulders.

Still needs to strengthen though.

I think the more senior players need to shoulder that a little bit (pun intended) and give him a bit more protection from that side of things. He does seem to be winning more and more challenges though, and not necessarily by being the strongest in the challenge but by having the quicker feet.