Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

54 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

This time last year I thought he was a million miles from being ready for L2.

He obviously listens to his manager and senior players. He's still got at least a couple of years physical development yet.

I reckon in time, he'll have a large championship career

Had a chat with GT @ Crawley, after the game. 

What a lovely young lad. 

So proud to play for BWFC and there was so obviously so much respect for him from the rest of the players. 

I sincerely hope that he can cement a first team place for us this season.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

I've looked at Crowley's career stats, he's played at a reasonable level abroad and championship over here. Certainly stands up to being more than capable at L1 level.

I suspect he'll not be short of suitors in Jan if that's a standard performance from him

Decent pedigree to coming through the ranks at villa then arsenal

I agree but even in defeat earlier in the season we looked a bloody good side.

How it went so horribly wrong even before the injuries properly kicked in, we may never know. 

We appear to have stabilised now thankfully and I personally will be satisfied with a mid table finish. 

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

We are a mid table league 1 club ravaged by injuries.

The bar you speak of was raised far too high to begin with.

This is our 93/94 season. Mid table and a decent cup run. Papa johns obviously :)

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Yeah it’s great to see.

Santos, Isgrove, Kachunga none of them hit the ground running, and quite rightly got criticism, buts it’s testament to IE the coaches and the players 

Great faith shown in them

For me, you can add Gethin Jones to that list. We're worse off without him.

Edited by Francis Fogarty

3 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

It's the half yard of pace that Doyle lacks that causes him either to stretch and not strike the ball as cleanly as he'd like or not get on to it at all. Wouldn't think he's ever been lightning over his career, flat footed running gait goes against him, but even less so at 33. 

Been three or four occasions in games where balls have been put across into areas where the player of that ball could reasonably expect the striker to be on to and he's been a couple of feet short. A couple from John on Tuesday and yesterday I can recall, one that their lad May would have gobbled up. 

My concern with all the talk about Stockton really, could end up investing a wedge on somebody of a similar sort of profile then being stuck with him if we go up a level and he can't. Could no doubt get 10-15 in a team like ours that could help us get promoted but wouldn't see him as a Championship level performer. 

I would see him as a step up on Doyle (at this stage of Doyle's career), but I agree he isn't going to be a concern to Championship defences.  Getting that level of striker is for another day.  Currently, we aren't top 10 material, and that's where the immediate aim should be, where we aren't even looking at the bottom half teams when we lose a game.

Didn't Freedman have a thing about running style being linked to injuries and try to re-educate some players in how to run ?

I can get the link, in extreme situations, but reaching mature adults who've aleady reached a level of success to run differently ? Good luck with that one. 

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

13 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Not as 'strange' as Jardel's. Always made me giggle.

I remember being away at Leeds Utd and Jardel was warming up in front of us ‘running’ up & down the touchline, he had a similar style of running to the girl in the Gif that Troy posted earlier, i swear the whole stand just burst out laughing.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

17 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember being away at Leeds Utd and Jardel was warming up in front of us ‘running’ up & down the touchline, he had a similar style of running to the girl in the Gif that Troy posted earlier, i swear the whole stand just burst out laughing.

Pompey away Jardel warming up at half time both sets of fans laughing at him running and trying to jump. 

• Members
26 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Didn't Freedman have a thing about running style being linked to injuries and try to re-educate some players in how to run ?

I can get the link, in extreme situations, but reaching mature adults who've aleady reached a level of success to run differently ? Good luck with that one. 

Yeah there’s a whole science behind it. If you look at Robben in his chelsea days the sprint pattern, is many steps lots of turns. He did his ACL and it had to change to change to longer strides , bending turns.

Theres a Jamaican sprint coach who worked with Ronaldo to change his run patterns as he got older 

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah there’s a whole science behind it. If you look at Robben in his chelsea days the sprint pattern, is many steps lots of turns. He did his ACL and it had to change to change to longer strides , bending turns.

Theres a Jamaican sprint coach who worked with Ronaldo to change his run patterns as he got older 

Sam only used to train in straight lines apparently to avoid injuries being picked up in training . 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Minus 7 deg that night at Burnden v Leeds, i think Thomas Brolin ruined us? I flew home from Lanzarote that afternoon and got home in time for the match. From 24 degrees to -7 degrees in one day was a tad refreshing.

Yeah he did the fat fuck

• Members
5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Possibly the only time he played well in England.

My 'coldest ever' was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay, at Burnden mid Jan 1977 (possibly 78). It went to extra time & I was so cold I couldn't speak ... or move my jaw at all.

Burnden had some incredibly cold nights.

I remember playing derby at the Reebok in January (late Stelios winner) and I felt like it was colder than Belgrade was a few months previous, which I think got to -11°
That wind at Middlebrook is something else