Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

globaldiver

• Site Supporter

Can’t say I recall it for the cold but the snowy game where Reidy got his leg broke can’t have been too warm. Or, for that matter, the FACup game v Liverpool where Bruce had the ground staff “forget” to turn the undersoil heating on full.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Can’t say I recall it for the cold but the snowy game where Reidy got his leg broke can’t have been too warm. Or, for that matter, the FACup game v Liverpool where Bruce had the ground staff “forget” to turn the undersoil heating on full.

Looking back at the replay, it wasn't necessarily the right decision!

The two I recall were both v Tranmere in the FA Cup wierdly.  Needless to say when its baltic it goes to E-T. Jan 1984, 1st round replay, won 4-1 in the end but 1-1 after 90, sat in Lever End, Chandler scored a cracker, couldn't feel my fingers.  Can't remember date of other one but about 12 years ago?  3rd round replay at Reebok, E-T again, lost (as we always seem to against them since moving grounds). 

The 8pm kick off's/10.30 finishes always add to the enjoyment when a cup game in January goes to extra time.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Looking back at the replay, it wasn't necessarily the right decision!

I assume you mean we’d have beaten them at home. 

That wouldn’t have been nearly as much fun.

8 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Possibly the only time he played well in England.

My 'coldest ever' was the FA Cup 3rd Round replay, at Burnden mid Jan 1977 (possibly 78). It went to extra time & I was so cold I couldn't speak ... or move my jaw at all.

I remember a cold game against Spurs at Burnden in January 78, can't remember if it was the cup or league game though as both were played close together I think. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, tkonion said:

Surely it was against Everton, didn't Reidy collide with George wood?

6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

More like George Wood used the conditions as an excuse to break Peter Reids leg. Fucking horrendous challenge iirc.

My memory of 1979 isn’t exactly photographic but I’m with Burnden Bogs here, Wood did a hatchet job on Reid. Thing is, as the second half kicked off with about 6” of snow, and despite the hindsight of knowing what went on with Reidy, should they have even come out for the second half?

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

My memory of 1979 isn’t exactly photographic but I’m with Burnden Bogs here, Wood did a hatchet job on Reid. 

George Wood has probably spent the last 40 years saying it was an accidental challenge due to the weather, but we all know that’s absolute bollocks - don’t we George?

Edited by Burndens Bogs

12 hours ago, jeep said:

I'm quoting the game on Boxing Day 77 was v Notts County.

I know that Reidy's leg break was Jan 1st 1979....

You are correct, it was Dr Feelgood's post (in which he quoted MickyD's post) that you replied to with your comment I had meant to quote. 

Edited by tkonion

13 hours ago, MickyD said:

My memory of 1979 isn’t exactly photographic but I’m with Burnden Bogs here, Wood did a hatchet job on Reid. Thing is, as the second half kicked off with about 6” of snow, and despite the hindsight of knowing what went on with Reidy, should they have even come out for the second half?

100% correct, Wood took Reid out no question. 

13 hours ago, MickyD said:

I agree. Different times I suppose but even back then it was ridiculous to be playing on an already frozen pitch which then became covered in snow.

I could be most but I think may have read on here before that if the teams hadn't started the 2nd half then full refunds would be due to the supporters, not sure if that's true or not or how that would be possible in an era when it was mostly pay on the door. 

On 29/11/2021 at 18:37, Francis Fogarty said:

We played Bangor City I think in a cup in the seventies. We won 3 - 0 I think, but even now, I've never been as cold at the march.

Yep, was in the Lever End that day. 1971/72 season. Bloody cold!