Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not sure they should be detailing their 3 year or 5 year plan to the masses, fans would only pick holes if things detailed didn’t happen, think you have to have faith in what she says, she’s honest and has integrity so that’ll do for me. 

Yes.

The thing I find interesting is her reference to her and her family being happy and enjoying the "journey". No doubt she is tough and thick skinned when needed, but perhaps we all need to take a breath sometimes before making judgements.

Would be a huge shame if she tossed it off because a number of abusive tossers gobbed off once too often.

Feel fortunate to have her; she seems the ideal person at this time, and hopefully we can keep her and the partners for a good while yet.

2 hours ago, tomski said:

I’m not sure they have a plan. Let’s see

I'm yet to be convinced.

Sharon comes across all nice and knows the right things to say. We never hear from Messrs James or Mason or whoever else is involved, so we have to assume all is well.

She says that she's trying to run the club in the same manner as all her other successful businesses. Which businesses are they?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Traf said:

I'm yet to be convinced.

Sharon comes across all nice and knows the right things to say. We never hear from Messrs James or Mason or whoever else is involved, so we have to assume all is well.

She says that she's trying to run the club in the same manner as all her other successful businesses. Which businesses are they?

As she says, she's a private person.

I'm sure such info is readily available if folk want to find it.

Even if things aren't so great on the pitch this season, things seem to be going well off it.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As she says, she's a private person.

I'm sure such info is readily available if folk want to find it.

Even if things aren't so great on the pitch this season, things seem to be going well off it.

I think January will be a good indicator of the owners' ambitions.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting things aren't going well off the pitch generally, a few gripes aside. 

31 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'm yet to be convinced.

These are her businesses. 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/wFGHPM_KRNUvBuza8Vk054d-KkQ/appointments

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

they are all recent, where did her money come from?

not a snipe, but she must have made her and the others from somewhere

Happy with what I’ve seen/heard so far. Understand Traf’s query re James and Mason being quiet but I guess she’s the “face” of the business and its better imo that only she is saying anything publicly and controlling the info released

Regarding the details of the business plan? For me, as alluded above, if she comes out and says something like “Right, our plan is to be back in the Prem in 5 years” she’d simply get slaughtered by the twittermongs. Unambitious, too slow, etc. 

54 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think January will be a good indicator of the owners' ambitions.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting things aren't going well off the pitch generally, a few gripes aside. 

Same here. You make some good points.

Fwiw I think we need to come away from the previous regime being the bar as any worse then we don’t exist.

Football clubs aren’t businesses or run like them. The manager comment was a nice backing to Evatt but actually made no sense to me.

Ill be eternally grateful to Sharon/MJ etc for saving us. 

I just haven’t seen any long term strides as of yet, all very short term moves (which we have seen before) not to compare to KA mind.

The Sarcevic stuff wasn’t handled well whatever story you believe.

The Jan window one will be interesting if they go for it again, will this be the model going forward? That we keep losing half a season. 

I think she’s a super lady from what we’ve seen and I’m clouded by a lifetime of bad owners at Bolton but I’m still unsure how this plays out. 

I’d love it if everyone calls me a moon man come the end of her tenure for the record.

6 minutes ago, tomski said:

Fwiw I think we need to come away from the previous regime being the bar as any worse then we don’t exist.

Football clubs aren’t businesses or run like them. The manager comment was a nice backing to Evatt but actually made no sense to me.

I just haven’t seen any long term strides as of yet, all very short term moves (which we have seen before) not to compare to KA mind.

The Jan window one will be interesting if they go for it again, will this be the model going forward? That we keep losing half a season. 

I think she’s a super lady from what we’ve seen and I’m clouded by a lifetime of bad owners at Bolton but I’m still unsure how this plays out. 

I’d love it if everyone calls me a moon man come the end of her tenure for the record.

Before we can think about long term strides we have to put in place an infrastructure to build on. 

The interesting point for me was her comment that we are 9th or 10th in terms of spend, I thought we were lower than that. As a very simple measure matching your spending and you league position is a decent one. Ok first year of consolidation maybe but we have to be looking top half all things being even. So assuming the injuries balance out. 

She does seem genuine and have a way she wants to do business based on values such as 'no gambling' clearly not a financial call in fact the opposite.  

Given where we are it sounds like it was a lot worse and complicated than we probably thought. There has to be a period of building up in the words used in the video 'sustainably' . 

I think she is Auntie Sharon for me , very impressed. Interesting comments about social media, I hope we never get the stage where her family, the lads in particular do not become targets of some of our idiots as if they do I could see her just fucking it off. 

8 minutes ago, Ani said:

Before we can think about long term strides we have to put in place an infrastructure to build on. 

The interesting point for me was her comment that we are 9th or 10th in terms of spend, I thought we were lower than that. As a very simple measure matching your spending and you league position is a decent one. Ok first year of consolidation maybe but we have to be looking top half all things being even. So assuming the injuries balance out. 

She does seem genuine and have a way she wants to do business based on values such as 'no gambling' clearly not a financial call in fact the opposite.  

Given where we are it sounds like it was a lot worse and complicated than we probably thought. There has to be a period of building up in the words used in the video 'sustainably' . 

I think she is Auntie Sharon for me , very impressed. Interesting comments about social media, I hope we never get the stage where her family, the lads in particular do not become targets of some of our idiots as if they do I could see her just fucking it off. 

Good read.

I’d be amazed if it ever went to that point. Not needed at all. Saved for Ken and Lee

• Site Supporter

To Sharon of FV we are a business, same as all her others, but to Sharon the fan of all things Bolton we are much more. She has bought in (literally) to the club, fans, town and people and is one of our own.

While we all have  gripes over things, memberships and shit ale, results, stewards and the TO, I think in general we all agree we're heading in the right direction.

At the risk of repeating myself,

I love her me, and we're in good hands with FV.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Ani said:

31 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

To Sharon of FV we are a business, same as all her others, but to Sharon the fan of all things Bolton we are much more. She has bought in (literally) to the club, fans, town and people and is one of our own.

While we all have  gripes over things, memberships and shit ale, results, stewards and the TO, I think in general we all agree we're heading in the right direction.

At the risk of repeating myself,

I love her me, and we're in good hands with FV.

Just watched it and was on the verge of penning a heartfelt response, but I can’t add anything to those 2 comments 👏

We are so lucky to have her leading our club, she’s brilliant! 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, tomski said:

How have we lost half a season? We're a newly promoted team with basically the same squad that got us out of League 2, and we're 15th in the League.

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

We're a newly promoted team with basically the same squad that got us out of League 2, and we're 15th in the League.

That would be a nice achievement for Cheltenham or Cambridge but not for a club of Bolton's support base, size and tradition,Being in the 3rd tier is failure for Bolton, the target should be promotion from this league now not to become established in 15th place

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

How have we lost half a season? We're a newly promoted team with basically the same squad that got us out of League 2, and we're 15th in the League.

In my honest opinion yes. Both this and last. 

If we are the 8th/9th highest spenders in the league as alluded to then it’s an under achievement.

• Members
47 minutes ago, tomski said:

Aye. That was what was alluded too in the interview I believe.

Tends to be the way with newly promoted teams. Strengthen then gel, throw in bad luck with injuries and this is where we’ll be.

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

they are all recent, where did her money come from?

not a snipe, but she must have made her and the others from somewhere

Some of here business interests date back years. One or two she resigned from recently, around the time she came here. Seems perfectly reasonable. 

Also now involved with a travel company and a music publisher- which is understandable. 

As for her money- she's clearly not mega rich and alludes to the several times. I would presume the other partners are wealthier.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Ani said:

My concern too. She admitted they haven't and won't get everything right, that's no excuse for abuse.

The Sarc incident has left us all wondering, but she's not one for washing laundry in public, and it is a player issue, so the manager will be handling that anyway.

Regarding the spending being around 9th or 10th highest- what isn't clear is whether that's wages for players or spending as a whole- stadium etc included.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Cheese said:

We've gained three seasons, not lost half of one. Don't forget without FV there would be no BWFC and are a new team, not just a newly promoted one. Everything about Bolton Wanderers except us, is new.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

We've gained three seasons, not lost half of one. Don't forget without FV there would be no BWFC and are a new team, not just a newly promoted one. Everything about Bolton Wanderers except us, is new.

Exactly.