Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

18 minutes ago, tomski said:

Mate, it’s all good debate and well constructed too.

Ill try answer where I can next to your comments.

I’m on the fence with FV. I’ve perhaps not communicated this perfectly. I’m not unimpressed or overly impressed as of yet.

With the community stuff a lot of good has happened but in my opinion we take one step forward then 2 steps back (maybe a step back) I think of the membership, not arsed they have my data as they have it anyway! It’s the hoops I now have to go through to bring others to the match that winds me up. Continual pastings with good crowds on. While I appreciate they can’t necessarily control results we get dicked without fail. I’m concerned they are still losing money or were as of the last statement. It isn’t sustainable as we’ve all learnt. I worry about talk of running previous businesses as this is a completely different animal.

I am also not interested in seeing detailed plans but when it gets mentioned I just hear a lot of words that don’t seem to mean owt. We’ve done Director of football and moved to something else. Jury still out. Lots of non football staff come and leave.

We’d be gone without her. Completely get that but I wonder when we move past that and look forward. I appreciate that’s subjective and every fan will be different.

Yeah I don’t argue that plan in the majority. I think we’ve looked Excellent and incredibly shit this season though and sadly in the wrong order. The Sarcevic stuff has caused an issue right or wrong as we haven’t looked the same since. The Fleetwood performance was beyond pathetic. Jan is huge for me, will be interesting/concerning where we go on this. I’ve stated before I hope you boys are right and I’m wrongly concerned as it means we are in for some good times.

One thing on the losing money point mate - the thing with stat accounts is that they are always out of date by the time they are published. The set that were released earlier this year covered Jul-19 to Jun-20, which means that stuff from over 2 years ago were captured in those numbers - they were also the first set post Ken and so would inevitably include a lot of legacy shit that needed tidying up from his time. I’m not saying that we’re now in a decent profit making position, I just wouldn’t read too much into those last set of accounts as an indicator to FV’s financial performance.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

One thing on the losing money point mate - the thing with stat accounts is that they are always out of date by the time they are published. The set that were released earlier this year covered Jul-19 to Jun-20, which means that stuff from over 2 years ago were captured in those numbers - they were also the first set post Ken and so would inevitably include a lot of legacy shit that needed tidying up from his time. I’m not saying that we’re now in a decent profit making position, I just wouldn’t read too much into those last set of accounts as an indicator to FV’s financial performance.

Happy to discard if that’s the case. I’d read it as last year. As dull as it sounds I dont want to live beyond our means as the risks are too high.

6 minutes ago, desperado said:

Cheers for responding.

Your doubts aren’t without substance. But in the main, the membership scheme (quite rightly) is one of your major concerns.

And your last paragraph are all match and squad issues which she (again quite rightly) trusts Evatt to sort out. 

I think part of the ownership plan - like last year will be to back him in the transfer window. Getting back into the transfer market again after the embargo will be another massive positive financial step in the right direction. 

Aye. One I forgot to mention was the disappointment at still owing Brett warby and others money. Seems like we are kicking down the road rather than facing it. A style Ken used to use. Sharon isn’t Ken but I still have fears of all that again. 

24 minutes ago, tomski said:

Aye. One I forgot to mention was the disappointment at still owing Brett warby and others money. Seems like we are kicking down the road rather than facing it. A style Ken used to use. Sharon isn’t Ken but I still have fears of all that again. 

Sounds like you've got some inside info, spill the beans. No thought not.

Sweaty Ken was a cunt but as many have alluded to he was our cunt for two seasons & did a fair job slashing the over charging ‘contractors’

In the end he was exposed as a man with an extremely thin skin who when faced with protest & let’s be honest personal abuse decided to throw the entire club under the bus.

At some point Sharon & the board are going to get criticism, she won’t enjoy that but I think she is made of tougher stuff than paper mache Ken.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, tomski said:

Happy to discard if that’s the case. I’d read it as last year. As dull as it sounds I dont want to live beyond our means as the risks are too high.

You don't want us to live beyond our means, but you're not happy with the way the club is currently being run? Make your mind up.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Sweaty Ken was a cunt but as many have alluded to he was our cunt for two seasons & did a fair job slashing the over charging ‘contractors’

In the end he was exposed as a man with an extremely thin skin who when faced with protest & let’s be honest personal abuse decided to throw the entire club under the bus.

At some point Sharon & the board are going to get criticism, she won’t enjoy that but I think she is made of tougher stuff than paper mache Ken.

He was never my cunt 

He was milking us Frome the off 

The protest and abuse were nowt to do with how it ended 

It was always going to end that way when the bones had been picked dry

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

You don't want us to live beyond our means, but you're not happy with the way the club is currently being run? Make your mind up.

Yes the first part is correct. Then yes 2nd part is sort of correct as I keep mentioning I’m not completely convinced of a plan. I’ve not once mentioned I want a load of signings or wages spunked. I’ve made my mind up ta.

13 hours ago, tomski said:

I don’t disagree. 

The paying bills and staff using food banks is a low barometer though that surely we should start to look past now? If not when. Surely that’s really basic ownership.

But you have to recognise how low we had fallen and the long term impact of that. It is a bit like someone who has been really ill. FV have firstly come in and literally saved the live of the club, to expect in the immediate future that club to be fitting fight and competing with others who have not been through open heart surgery is unrealistic. What we want to see is gradual improvement and progress. I see that. 
The 'basic of ownership' is what everyone in football is trying to do so to progress we have to be better than others. It is not easy, last year we were by far the biggest club in the league , this year we are nt.

We are trying to catch up with teams who are established in this league or who have dropped down. So our spend according to the interview is about 9th in the league, so we are trying to catch up with 8 teams who are spending more than us. Other than Sunderland and maybe Ipswich which clubs have a higher cost basis than us ? ( so things like size and maintenance of ground ) 

But of course as fans we have ambitions that may not be aligned with financial reality and that is the nature of the beast. Hoping for another transfer window that had the impact of last year is unrealistic but thinking we can improve the team is not. A replacement body for Sarce is in essence already budgeted for. As discussed we also need 2-3 experienced heads, add in a couple of loan deals and you will see progress on the pitch. (Other than Del do we have any loan players ?) 

As much as I respect you and your opinion I do struggle to where you think we should be at this stage. Half the team out injured has really screwed us but a factor of where we have come from is that we have 'just enough' across the board part of rebuilding is gradually building a squad that can compete at the top of the division as well as first 11 which when all are fit can be called the best  team in the league. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, tomski said:

She also said In the interview that there were unknown/hidden issues after purchase. No doubt that meant costs.

Performance on the pitch is mixed, but we have a young manager, learning his trade, and as she said, she's not for getting rid any time soon. Picked their man, and are now giving him some time. We've been through plenty of managers recently and it hasn't been hugely successful, so maybe it's worth persevering. 

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

She also said In the interview that there were unknown/hidden issues after purchase. No doubt that meant costs.

Performance on the pitch is mixed, but we have a young manager, learning his trade, and as she said, she's not for getting rid any time soon. Picked their man, and are now giving him some time. We've been through plenty of managers recently and it hasn't been hugely successful, so maybe it's worth persevering. 

As discussed. I’m not saying I’m right I’m just not fully onboard the love in. Hope everyone else is right. 

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/all-about/bristol-city-fc 

bristol city record 38 million pound losses in a 12 month period . For a club not in the prem that’s a eye watering amount in a year 

Saw that. Think they lost £10m the previous year so FL have to look at them.

Isn’t it £39m losses in any 3 year period before you get the call?

Edited by Steejay

• Members
3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Saw that. Think they lost £10m the previous year so FL have to look at them.

Isn’t it £39m losses in any 3 year period before you get the call?

Yep. 
They’ll argue Covid has affected them but not to that amount 

• Site Supporter

Thing is, £39 million barely creates a raised eyebrow. You could buy a half decent footballer for that if you were City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. and now Newcastle.

I’m not saying it’s fine for Bristol City to ignore FFP but if their owner can afford it, what’s the difference?

• Site Supporter
57 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Thing is, £39 million barely creates a raised eyebrow. You could buy a half decent footballer for that if you were City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. and now Newcastle.

I’m not saying it’s fine for Bristol City to ignore FFP but if their owner can afford it, what’s the difference?

Oh, I agree. If an owner wants to spunk millions, then let him, as the money is staying in the game.

But, rules is rules.

And we all know what can happen if an owner decides to pull the plug…