Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That's why I thought it was worth mentioning the competition from RU given Bristol Bears have averaged 19,400 so far this season

The owner of city also owns the rugby club . Sounds like he runs that one a bit better they keep within the salary cap 

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

The owner of city also owns the rugby club . Sounds like he runs that one a bit better they keep within the salary cap 

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head in one sentence.

The existence of the cap helps maintain a more sustainable model.

Chuck in decent crowds too.

Interesting that Barcelona have supposedly funded Torres' move from city via a loan.

They're supposed to be skint, and no doubt this money will disappear and never be paid back. 

Not so long back, it was either then or Madrid that were found to have had money that could be traced in part to tax payers here. 

Been bent as buggery for some time.

48 minutes ago, tomski said:

Then that bolsters the argument it’s not a football town?

Oh without a doubt. I’m just pointing out the level of competition that wasn’t really acknowledged earlier with people mentioning poor crowds for the size of the place without considering the effect of having two football teams and being a big rugby union area. 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head in one sentence.

The existence of the cap helps maintain a more sustainable model.

Chuck in decent crowds too.

Interesting that Barcelona have supposedly funded Torres' move from city via a loan.

They're supposed to be skint, and no doubt this money will disappear and never be paid back. 

Not so long back, it was either then or Madrid that were found to have had money that could be traced in part to tax payers here. 

Been bent as buggery for some time.

Didn't Madrid Council buy the RM training ground for a fortune then sell it back for buttons?

Was a rumour that RM owed a fortune to Santander bank but the bank was scared of backlash if they called the debt in.

• Site Supporter
25 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Didn't Madrid Council buy the RM training ground for a fortune then sell it back for buttons?

Was a rumour that RM owed a fortune to Santander bank but the bank was scared of backlash if they called the debt in.

Something like that. Banks money, but with input from Spanish government somewhere along the line. Which in turn had had eu funding or something along those lines.

I'll refrain from any further comment on this line...🤣

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Oh without a doubt. I’m just pointing out the level of competition that wasn’t really acknowledged earlier with people mentioning poor crowds for the size of the place without considering the effect of having two football teams and being a big rugby union area. 

Anywhere that likes Rugby doesn’t deserve success at football 

46 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Not sure I agree.

I made a rare trip in today.  Still see far more folk wandering around with BWFC gear than any other team.

Trust me. We are swamped by glory fans.

Also I retract my previous statement. Bolton is a boozing town and our aways go up massively on a good booze up. 

On 29/12/2021 at 10:42, Farnywhite said:

Found this it says Bristol city have lost over 170 million in the last few years . It says works out at £412,000 a week every week over the last 10 years 

Chelsea announce a yearly loss of £145 million, now owing over a £billion to their owner.

No mention of it on here and there seemed to be a media agreement not to talk about the money at their oil clubs Champions League final v City

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Chelsea announce a yearly loss of £145 million, now owing over a £billion to their owner.

No mention of it on here and there seemed to be a media agreement not to talk about the money at their oil clubs Champions League final v City

No different to Eddie subbing us.

As long as they keep getting funded, they'll be happy.

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No different to Eddie subbing us.

As long as they keep getting funded, they'll be happy.

Or they do a Ken and spend what the club or owner doesn’t have . 
Don’t know if the venkys still get a hard time at Blackburn still but they have put over 100 million into the club in total and recently did some sort of share issue which you can do to get around financial fair play with EFL approval that was I think 38 million  put back into the club 

49 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Chelsea was last valued at around the two and a half billion mark, so if Abramovich ever sold up he’d still make over a billion. 

34 minutes ago, Tommy9322 said:

Chelsea was last valued at around the two and a half billion mark, so if Abramovich ever sold up he’d still make over a billion. 

Might be valued at that but in reality would it ever sell for anything like that? I doubt it. I’ll love it if one of the clubs that’s had billions chucked at it went pop. United first please!! 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

You say no mention but on page I said

On 29/12/2021 at 07:45, MickyD said:

Thing is, £39 million barely creates a raised eyebrow. You could buy a half decent footballer for that if you were City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc. and now Newcastle.

I’m not saying it’s fine for Bristol City to ignore FFP but if their owner can afford it, what’s the difference?

I feel this is a bit of a mention. It seems their oil billions make you bitter but Man United’s shopping mall millions is somehow fine.