Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

6 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

That he doesn’t have any/many voting rights like the A shareholders but would potentially receive dividends if we make a profit and pay any. Bigger incentive to get us up the leagues.

Any agreed buy back options likely? 

What happens if shit goes sour....for Hart not Evatt. 

6 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Any agreed buy back options likely? 

What happens if shit goes sour....for Hart not Evatt. 

I have no idea mate. I’d assume so … would he be even allowed to manage elsewhere if he had shares in another club in the same country? I don’t know the rules? 

51 minutes ago, Stevowanderer said:

Looks like Evatt has been given B shares in the club. That’s what you call investing in the manager. No wonder he wasn’t interested when he was linked with championship clubs. 

He might have bought them, but great that he is invested with the rest of the management team

38 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He's mentioned on the twitter thread below the article.

A wealthy fella from Bolton apparently, who donated money to Bolton school.

Remember him. Year older than me. His name is all over Bolton School having funded a shed load. Was told he was involved in a hedge fund but no idea if true. He is apparently very wealthy

2 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

He might have bought them, but great that he is invested with the rest of the management team

More likely that they were given in lieu of pay. Promotion bonuses etc from when the club wasn't earning?

Better to dilute the shares than have a debt on the books.

2 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Remember him. Year older than me. His name is all over Bolton School having funded a shed load. Was told he was involved in a hedge fund but no idea if true. He is apparently very wealthy

Chairman of Governors and Benefactor of the Riley Centre (6th form)

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Wasn’t it Terry Edge, think Riley was called Neal, and spelt that way… can’t remember yesterday but seem to remember this from 30 years ago. 

Think it was Riley who had his Rolls Royce trashed on Burnden car park when Bristol City turned us over 4-0 when Warren Joyce was the only player trying

In principle I think it’s great. Most companies will reward their key management with some shares in order to really get them bought in and align to medium/longer term goals.

I don’t know for sure but I’d imagine it’s rare in football for the manager to be given shares, mainly because they aren’t often around long enough to contribute to a medium or long term plan that ends in a sale that they could benefit from but also because clubs rarely make profits which can be paid out as dividends and therefore it’s a bit of a pointless remuneration incentive.

In our case, I think it proves that Evatt buys into Sharon’s vision for the club, I think it shows that he believes it’s possible, there will have to be clauses in there to either buy them back or for him to give them up if he leaves or is sacked (he can’t still have them if he goes somewhere else due to the conflict of interest) - it’s also a clever way of Sharon to reward him without just paying out more cash and protects us from losing him to a club that will just pay him slightly more money (as he’d likely stand to lose too much from having to give the shares back).

I’m sure others will find potential negatives but from my perspective this is another example of Sharon being a very shrewd businesswoman.